[John Muir Trail] Re: Did the JMT. What next??

  • charliepolecat
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 14, 2011
      I suppose that's the rub really.

      To hike a trail one knows so well it becomes like an old friend, to hike it leisurely and savour each step, each vista and each camp site, or to dash it off as fast as posssible then to go on to another challenge in another locale and do likewise.

      Those who have the character (and patience) to stop and smell the roses have an advantage over those who must see it all before they die in the shortest possible time - or whatever. But the obverse of that coin is that those who plod the same path tend to have limited horizons, whereas those who have a multitude of fast trail experiences end up actually seeing very little.

      Fortunately, whether one plods or speeds has very little to do with desire and all to do with temperament and so is not a decision one has to take consciously. Some can walk slowly with ease, others have to burn up the track at all times. It's all about who we are.