Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: Stream Crossings on the JMT between mid-July and mid-August

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 26 7:34 AM
      Frank, thanks. Sound advice about slippery logs.

      If too slippery, we have shimmied across them sitting -- you have to use your arms to do push ups to lift your pants off the log while moving forward -- tedious work but it has worked. A trail maintenance supervisor showed us that trick.

      I also use two hiking poles and if the log is only above the water a little bit and the floor of the stream is not significant or if nearby boulders abutt from the water, those poles act as two extra legs giving more balance in the case any leg slips (either real leg or pole).

      We also bring along ultralight water shoes to use as camp sandals and water trekking shoes to get across streams when all else fails.

      I have not yet had to cross a stream that is more than kneecap high though using water trekking shoes.

      Frank Martin <sriprank@...> wrote:

      > What are the troublesome stream crossings on the JMT between
      mid-July and mid-August between Reds Meadows and Whitney Portal. I
      found this thread on the Trail Forums as a thread starter -- any
      additions?

      Really Evolution and Bear Creek are the traditional troublesome ones.

      Like the poster said there are detours for both. Coming off Silver
      Pass there are some tricky narrow ones when the snowmelt is going
      strong. Also if there are any Sierra Storms while you are hiking any
      stream could be potentially dangerous.

      There hasn't been any significant storms in the past month so the melt
      is starting early. This of course could change.

      Be very careful of wet logs as crossings. This is where most people
      slip and fall. I always just ford streams by walking in the stream
      bed itself. I use trailrunners so they dry quickly. Undo your
      hipbelt while fording larger streams.

      frank