Stream Crossings on the JMT between mid-July and mid-August

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 25, 2008
      What are the troublesome stream crossings on the JMT between mid-July and mid-August between Reds Meadows and Whitney Portal. I found this thread on the Trail Forums as a thread starter -- any additions?

      http://trailforums.net/index2.cfm?action=detail&PostNum=7450&Thread=6&entryID=56895&roomID=31

      stream crossings
      Does anyone know what the stream crossings are like now on the JMT?
      8/9/06 12:11 PM
      report to moderator
      Gary

      stream crossings
      I did them all over the past two weeks. You will not have any problems. You may want to go downstream 200 yards to do the Bear Creek crossing.
      8/9/06 1:46 PM
      report to moderator
      Gary

      stream crossings
      I did them all over the past two weeks. You will not have any problems. You may want to go downstream 200 yards to do the Bear Creek crossing.
      8/9/06 1:46 PM
      report to moderator
      JoeMama

      stream crossings
      Thanks! How deep is the water? Will my pack get wet? (I;m 5'6").
      8/9/06 6:58 PM
      report to moderator
      tumblina

      stream crossings
      I did everything before Evolution about 2 weeks ago, Bear Creek was sketchy. I'm 5'4" and the water was up to my waist, I got washed down stream and was lucky to have a hiking partner to help me get out. We found that putting our hands on each other's shoulders and walking like a crab was the best way to get across. This was the only tough crossing though.

      8/10/06 6:58 AM
      report to moderator
      Snowball

      Depth of crossings
      There were only a handful of crossings we made that were above my knees (I'm 5'9"). However, there were many that were 1.5' or less. Here is what we found on the most critical ones: 7/22/06 - Mono Creek (three crossings on the descent from Silver Pass). Mid-thigh deep (2') and flowing moderately strong.
      7/23/06 - Bear Creek. We crossed at a meadow about a 1/4 mile downstream of the official crossing. There is an island in the middle so we crossed to the downstream end. Both branches were about 1.75 feet deep and flowing slower than any other place we saw. The Hilgard Branch (Lake Italy junction) crossing about a mile before that was 2' deep and had a section of smooth granite that made keeping our footing interesting. It would have been easier had we gone upstream just a bit.
      7/26/06 - Evolution Creek. We crossed at the meadow per a note left by the McClure Ranger and on the advice of every northbounder we met. Follow the use trail along the creek just before the official crossing for 1/2 mile if you are going southbound. We did it at 7 a.m. and found it to be about 2.5' deep and flowing slow.
      The key is that there were still snow patches higher up but they should be greatly diminished by now. All crossings will be lower unless you try it after a four hour thunder storm. The thing we learned is that all of the official crossings are placed in the best spots for horses to cross. You only get a bridge if a horse can't make it (with a few exceptions). If it looks sketchy, scout around for a better spot to cross.

      8/10/06 10:53 AM
      report to moderator

    • Frank Martin
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 26, 2008

        > What are the troublesome stream crossings on the JMT between
        mid-July and mid-August between Reds Meadows and Whitney Portal. I
        found this thread on the Trail Forums as a thread starter -- any
        additions?

        Really Evolution and Bear Creek are the traditional troublesome ones.

        Like the poster said there are detours for both. Coming off Silver
        Pass there are some tricky narrow ones when the snowmelt is going
        strong. Also if there are any Sierra Storms while you are hiking any
        stream could be potentially dangerous.

        There hasn't been any significant storms in the past month so the melt
        is starting early. This of course could change.

        Be very careful of wet logs as crossings. This is where most people
        slip and fall. I always just ford streams by walking in the stream
        bed itself. I use trailrunners so they dry quickly. Undo your
        hipbelt while fording larger streams.

        frank
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 26, 2008
          Frank, thanks. Sound advice about slippery logs.

          If too slippery, we have shimmied across them sitting -- you have to use your arms to do push ups to lift your pants off the log while moving forward -- tedious work but it has worked. A trail maintenance supervisor showed us that trick.

          I also use two hiking poles and if the log is only above the water a little bit and the floor of the stream is not significant or if nearby boulders abutt from the water, those poles act as two extra legs giving more balance in the case any leg slips (either real leg or pole).

          We also bring along ultralight water shoes to use as camp sandals and water trekking shoes to get across streams when all else fails.

          I have not yet had to cross a stream that is more than kneecap high though using water trekking shoes.