Re: [John Muir Trail] Dehydrated Trail Food

  • Derek Peters
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 24 8:51 PM
      Steve,

      I've got an old trick that worked for me and my kids with respect to powered milk. I found I can't do powdered milk due to the watery texture. Many years ago I backpacked with a guy that told me to try blending in some coffeemate coffee creamer. It thickens the milk depending on your ratio. I'd have to check my notes, but I seem to remember I used a 4-1 ration of skim milk to creamer. Experiment a little at the kitchen sink. I then just add it to my cereal zip log and add water. I also keep a baggy full to make a separate class. I found you have to have a shaker to get it to mix well. My bowl is one of those country time lemonade containers with a screw on lid. The lid make a good smaller second bowl, and I get a closed container to use as a shaker.

      Experiment a little with different brands as of skim milk as well. They're are a lot if different tastes. Good Luck,

      Derek

      Steve Schauer <clairehiker@...> wrote: We dehydrated most our meals a couple of months ahead
      of our trip, and they all survived just fine on our 30
      day JMT trip. If you care to find some more recipes
      for dehydrating, check out our website at
      http://www.johnmuirtrail.org/meals.html

      I have included the whole meal plan, and recipes. I
      got ideas from the same book, but just took some our
      favorite home recipes and adapted them/ We found that
      cheese doesn't dehydrate well, as it is too greasy. I
      didn't try any eggs dishes, as we used the Mountain
      House scrambled eggs some mornings.
      This is a great time of year to start drying fruit.
      Strawberries are great, and peaches were amazing. We
      like variety, and when people asked us what food we
      missed the most the only thing that really came to
      mind was a glass of ice cold milk. Never could get
      used to powdered milk, although we found a source for
      real dried cream(not coffee "whitener") for our
      coffee. Pretty luxurious.
      Lots of fun in planning. . . .