Memories Day 12

  • hmdsierra
    Message 1 of 473 , Aug 12, 1999
      Day 12 Aug 12, 1982<br>Last night was warm in
      comparision the the night before. We made our usual start
      time. We stopped at the bridge where the trail crossed
      to the south side for a break. We cautiously drank
      the water from the river. We also met some guys doing
      the trail and from Whitney and they were a week into
      it. Figured we were about halfway. Recrossed theriver
      and ascended the hill into Evolution Valley. At the
      trail crossing was a large sign saying the safest
      crossing was a half mile east in Evolution Mdw. We went
      that direction and found a smooth pebbley sandy knee
      deep crossing. After reaching the other side we
      decided to take a bath. So back into the icy water for a
      dip, rub the dirt loose, and dip again. I then told
      Owen to stay put and I would get his picture, he said
      "hurrrry". I thought I would also wash my clothes so while
      we waited for the clothes to dry I had a smoke and
      wrote my diary while Owen played in the water. Just
      below this crossing is a deep (8-10 feet) pool about 50
      feet long bounded by logs on each end all the way
      across the creek. It would be a dandy swimming hole if
      the water was warmer. After my clothes had dried down
      to damp we headed on up. We camped in a large level
      site just past the ranger station at McClure Mdw. that
      afforded a fine view of the meadow. Even though there were
      quite a few people in the area we had this campsite to
      ourselves. We went fishing and met some people. One was 5
      days out of Whitney another was a journalism student
      from Santa Barbara who interviewed us. We caught
      qquite a few small fish but kept only two for dinner.
      While fixing dinner a marathon hiker joined our
      campsite. He had come from North Lk. over Piute Pass and up
      to Evolution today. He said he had done JMT in 13
      days. I prefer to move much slower. We are back in
      familiar territory for the second day since leaving
      Devil's Postpile. In '68 my wife and I had made a trip
      from Florence Lk. up to Muir Pass and returned via
      Davis Lks. and Hell-For-Sure Pass. I had been looking
      forward to introducing Gary to this area but he isn't
      here. He did get there in October '91 tho. Fished again
      after dinner and caught many more little ones. Our plan
      had been to take our layover day at Grouse Mdw. but
      it is so nice here we considered taking it here. We
      decided to stay with Grouse Mdw. In '81 we had made a
      trip into Dusy Basin and were told how beautiful the
      view was in LeConte. We purposely had an easy day
      today 7.6 miles.
    • tiocampo
      Message 473 of 473 , Feb 24 8:48 AM