Is the Snow still there?

  • Joe MacLeish
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 3, 2011
      Is the snow staying the whole year around? So was there/is there snow on the ground at the Muir Pass or just over the South edge. Is the snow going to stay the year around this year? I would be interested to hear what any of the last few trekkers found. Or is it all gone now?
      Joe
    • Allen Currano
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 3, 2011
        about 10 days ago there was definitely still snow on Whitney, not at the summit itself but there was quite a bit of snow on the final approach to the summit plateau. And I think there was some snow below forester pass on the north side. I imagine that there will be an increasing amount of snow from here on out...

        Allen Currano
        510-599-5349 Cell

        On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 3:55 PM, Joe MacLeish <jmacleish@...> wrote:

        Is the snow staying the whole year around? So was there/is there snow on the ground at the Muir Pass or just over the South edge. Is the snow going to stay the year around this year? I would be interested to hear what any of the last few trekkers found. Or is it all gone now?
        Joe

      • speedcenter2001
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 4, 2011
          fresh snow fell over 2 weeks ago in the high country and some of that is still there, especially in shaded areas. Before that, most trails were clear of snow.

          Tomorrow, a "real" winter storm is coming in. End of season with snow expected above 8000 feet with up to two feet in the higher elevations.

          Even for VVR (below 8000 feet), the forecast is 100% snow.

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Allen Currano <acurrano@...> wrote:

          > about 10 days ago there was definitely still snow on Whitney, not at the
          > summit itself but there was quite a bit of snow on the final approach to the
          > summit plateau. And I think there was some snow below forester pass on the
          > north side. I imagine that there will be an increasing amount of snow from
          > here on out...
          >
          > Allen Currano
          > 510-599-5349 Cell
          >

          > On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 3:55 PM, Joe MacLeish <jmacleish@...> wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > Is the snow staying the whole year around? So was there/is there snow on
          > > the ground at the Muir Pass or just over the South edge. Is the snow going
          > > to stay the year around this year? I would be interested to hear what any of
          > > the last few trekkers found. Or is it all gone now?
          > > Joe

        • John
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 4, 2011
            Pretty good dusting down to ~10,000 this morning!

            JD
            www.johndittli.com

            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 4, 2011
              This morning's NWS suggests that its predictions are worsening - it's been elevated from a watch to a warning, levels predicted down to 6000 feet during the day tomorrow and winds on ridges up to 70 mph with snow depths up to 20 inches

              Sierra Nevada from Yosemite to Kings Canyon
              Winter Storm Warning
              Statement as of 3:05 AM PDT on October 04, 2011

              A Winter Storm Warning above 7000 feet remains in effect from
              3 am Wednesday to 5 am PDT Thursday for the higher elevations of
              the southern Sierra Nevada.

              * Snow accumulations: 6 to 12 inches above 7000 feet... and 12 to
              20 inches in the high country.

              * Snow level: above 8000 feet early Wednesday morning lowering
              to 6000 feet during the day Wednesday.

              * Timing: snow will begin falling early Wednesday morning and
              continue through Wednesday night. The heaviest snow will
              fall during the day Wednesday.

              * Locations include: Sequoia National Forest including Big
              Meadows and Buck Rock areas. Sequoia National Park... quaking
              Aspen... Ponderosa and Sherman Pass.

              * Winds: west winds over the high country will gust to 70 mph
              causing considerable blowing and drifting snow.