Re: Electrolyte replacement

  • targetdoggmechanic
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 3, 2011
      One of my favorite mid-day treats, and sometimes in the evening if I have extra, is gatorade single-use packets. You can get them at walmart, target, grocery stores, etc. I usually buy a 20oz bottle of gatorade before I leave Curry Village, and drink that on my way up to LYV. Always keep the bottle in the bear can at night because it has gatorade scent. This bottle will be my gatorade bottle throughout the trip, and my 1-L aguafina widemouth bottle is my trusty UL water bottle. Throughout the trip, fill up the 20oz gatorade bottle with fresh sierra water and add a gatorade packet...always a welcome treat! And for a little kick, there is a soda spring just as you go up the long switchbacks out of red's meadow, just before the red cones. It makes a great cold bubbly gatorade...no sulfer taste either! Very refreshing!
    • Joe MacLeish
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 3, 2011

        Where is that Soda Spring please?  Just a little more detail

        Thanks

        Joe

        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 3, 2011
          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Joe MacLeish" <jmacleish@...> wrote:

          > Where is that Soda Spring please? Just a little more detail

          As you leave the burnt out forest above red's, right as you leave the fire burned area and begin the first long switchback (there are 3 or 4 of them). There is a little spring that comes out in the apex of the hairpin curve that begins the first switchback.

          Found it by surprise one time to get a bottle of water. Took a drink and it was a bit shocking since I wasnt prepared for the bubbles!
        • Joe MacLeish
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 3, 2011

            Dog:

            Thanks, I must have walked right past it in July when I was through there.  I will put this in my trail notes for next trip.

            Thanks

            Joe

            > Where is that Soda Spring please? Just a little more detail

            As you leave the burnt out forest above red's, right as you leave the fire burned area and begin the first long switchback (there are 3 or 4 of them). There is a little spring that comes out in the apex of the hairpin curve that begins the first switchback.

            Found it by surprise one time to get a bottle of water. Took a drink and it was a bit shocking since I wasnt prepared for the bubbles!

          • JULIE BINION
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 4, 2011
              There is also an ice cold soda spring just beyond the Middle Rae Lake, heading south, toward Glenn Pass. It is on the left in the meadow a little before Upper Rae Lake. Frosted our water bottles. Very refreshing!