Re: Back in the day

  • ned@mountaineducation.org
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 2, 2011
      Truly, it was a pleasure seeing these images of an era gone by. This was the way things were done, open fires, #10 tin cans, fishing, pack frames without padded hip belts.... Some things are better these days and some I really miss. But, then, you needed to have first learned backpacking back then to feel nostalgic about it now!

      "Remember, Be Careful out there!"

      Ned Tibbits, Director
      Mountain Education
      South Lake Tahoe, Ca. 96150
          P: 888-996-8333
          F: 530-541-1456
          C: 530-721-1551
          http://www.mountaineducation.org
    • Kim Fishburn
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 2, 2011
        #10 Tin cans? the last time I saw one of those I was camping in the Emigrant Wilderness. I heard a noise so I went down by the creek but didn't see anything. The next day I went do to get some water and saw something on the other side of the creek which I went to investigate. It turns out some horse packers had come in to drop of some food for a trail crew, only the trail crew didn't show up till  the next day. They just left the food laying on the ground. I probably heard them just as they were leaving. When I saw the food the next day the bears had already found it during the night. They'd ripped open the #10 tins of Kool-Aid and other food and had a picnic. There was huge piles of bear scat nearby. When the trail crew showed up they hung what was left in the tree and went to work.

        Kim

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 2, 2011
          Very cool.

          Here is another one from 1975, it also has music.

          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygin-fTfChU