Missing Hiker

  • John
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 1, 2011
      Hi All

      There is a hiker over due from a long trip that included the JMT between Evolution and LeConte. If any of you were in that area recently please read the following;

      JD

      I'm forwarding the note below from Brad Ferlinger, Park Ranger & lead investigator for an ongoing overdue hiker SAR in Kings Canyon National Park. Please read and, if you were in the area of the missing person's route, call the Incident Command whether you saw him or not. Negative information is as important as a positive sighting.

      We'll keep you updated on status.

      Thanks!

      George Durkee
      NPS Kings Canyon

      ****************************

      I am a Park Ranger who is working on the SAR of John Williams, if you have any information that might help us locate him or if you were hiking in the same areas during the same time we would like to talk to you and find out any information you might have. You can call the SAR investigations office of Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park at 559-565-3762. Thank you for your help.

      Entry date: Sept. 17, 2011
      Exit date: Sept. 23, 2011
      Emergency date: Monday, noon, Sept. 26, 2011

      Itinerary:
      Over Bishop Pass.
      1. CAMP: Dusy Basin.

      Descend to LeConte Canyon.
      South on John Muir Trail.
      Cross Palisade Creek (always difficult).
      Continue south along Middle Fork of Kings River.
      2. CAMP: Simpson Meadow or
      between Palisade Creek and Simpson Meadow.

      Cross Middle Fork of Kings River at Simpson Meadow.
      Continue south along Middle Fork of Kings River.
      3. CAMP: Tehipite.

      Head north and into Blue Canyon.
      4. CAMP: Blue Canyon.

      Cross-country north through Blue Canyon.
      Exit Blue Canyon over Reinstein Pass.
      5. CAMP: Martha Lake.

      North down Goddard Canyon.
      Then south on Jonh Muir Trail.
      6. CAMP: Between junction with JMT &
      the Evolution Creek crossing.

      Cross Evolution Creek.
      Continue south on JMT.
      7. Camp: Evolution Lake.

      Continue south over Muir Pass.
      8. Camp: Either LeConte Canyon
      or Dusy Basin.

      Exit over Bishop Pass.

      orange jacket (sometimes), blue backpack, gray tent.

      Thanks again,
      Brad

    • John
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 2, 2011
        One week overdue and found alive!

        JD

        > Hi All
        > There is a hiker over due from a long trip that included the JMT between
        > Evolution and LeConte. If any of you were in that area recently please
        > read the following;
        > Here is an additional link with photo
        > http://www.supertopo.com/climbers-forum/1623740/Missing-hiker-John-Willi\
        > ams-in-the-Sierra-due-the-24-Sept
        > <http://www.supertopo.com/climbers-forum/1623740/Missing-hiker-John-Will\
        > iams-in-the-Sierra-due-the-24-Sept>
        > JD
        >
        > I'm forwarding the note below from Brad Ferlinger, Park Ranger & lead
        > investigator for an ongoing overdue hiker SAR in Kings Canyon National
        > Park. Please read and, if you were in the area of the missing person's
        > route, call the Incident Command whether you saw him or not. Negative
        > information is as important as a positive sighting.
        > We'll keep you updated on status.
        > Thanks!
        > George DurkeeNPS Kings Canyon
        > ****************************
        > I am a Park Ranger who is working on the SAR of John Williams, if you
        > have any information that might help us locate him or if you were hiking
        > in the same areas during the same time we would like to talk to you and
        > find out any information you might have. You can call the SAR
        > investigations office of Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park at
        > 559-565-3762. Thank you for your help.
        >
        > Entry date: Sept. 17, 2011Exit date: Sept. 23, 2011Emergency date:
        > Monday, noon, Sept. 26, 2011
        > Itinerary:Over Bishop Pass.1. CAMP: Dusy Basin.
        > Descend to LeConte Canyon.South on John Muir Trail.Cross Palisade Creek
        > (always difficult).Continue south along Middle Fork of Kings River.2.
        > CAMP: Simpson Meadow orbetween Palisade Creek and Simpson Meadow.
        > Cross Middle Fork of Kings River at Simpson Meadow.Continue south along
        > Middle Fork of Kings River.3. CAMP: Tehipite.
        > Head north and into Blue Canyon.4. CAMP: Blue Canyon.
        > Cross-country north through Blue Canyon.Exit Blue Canyon over Reinstein
        > Pass.5. CAMP: Martha Lake.
        > North down Goddard Canyon.Then south on Jonh Muir Trail.6. CAMP: Between
        > junction with JMT &the Evolution Creek crossing.
        > Cross Evolution Creek.Continue south on JMT.7. Camp: Evolution Lake.
        > Continue south over Muir Pass.8. Camp: Either LeConte Canyonor Dusy
        > Basin.
        > Exit over Bishop Pass.
        > orange jacket (sometimes), blue backpack, gray tent.
        > Thanks again,Brad

      • targetdoggmechanic
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 2, 2011
          WOW!!!

          Details?

          > One week overdue and found alive!
          >
          > JD
        • John
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 2, 2011
            I don't have any yet, but will post when I know.

            JD

            > Details?

          • speedcenter2001
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 2, 2011
              he hiked out yesterday. search was called off.

            • ned@mountaineducation.org
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 2, 2011
                Thanks, John, for the info! I know the route. Let me know if the IC needs additional troops....

                "Just remember, Be Careful out there!"

                Ned Tibbits, Director
                Mountain Education
                South Lake Tahoe, Ca. 96150
                    P: 888-996-8333
                    F: 530-541-1456
                    C: 530-721-1551
                    http://www.mountaineducation.org
              • John
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 2, 2011
                  He walked out last night 9 DAYS overdue! Still waiting for details.

                  JD
                  www.johndittli.com

                  --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <ned@...> wrote:

                  > Thanks, John, for the info! I know the route. Let me know if the IC needs additional troops....
                  >

                  > "Just remember, Be Careful out there!"
                  >
                  > Ned Tibbits, Director
                  > Mountain Education
                  > South Lake Tahoe, Ca. 96150
                  > P: 888-996-8333
                  > F: 530-541-1456
                  > C: 530-721-1551
                  > http://www.mountaineducation.org

                • Kim Fishburn
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 2, 2011
                    There is another missing hiker in Yosemite. This is all I've found about the first hiker that was missing. There probably won't be anything more till tomorrow.

                    http://www.ksee24.com/news/local/Missing-Hiker-In-Kings-Canyon-National-Park-Found-130927408.html

                    http://www.fresnobee.com/2011/09/03/2523607/crews-search-for-missing-hiker.html