Back in the day

  • speedcenter2001
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2011
      how it was done over 50 years ago

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygin-fTfChU

      comments below video indicate they didn't resupply. Love the cooking gear - titanium - whazzat?

      there was still a tree on top of Half Dome, but otherwise pretty much a world that hasn't chanaged much. A few fire scars here and there today that aren't on these images, different signs on the passes, but for he most part, the mountains keep time at a different scale.
    • ned@mountaineducation.org
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 2, 2011
        Truly, it was a pleasure seeing these images of an era gone by. This was the way things were done, open fires, #10 tin cans, fishing, pack frames without padded hip belts.... Some things are better these days and some I really miss. But, then, you needed to have first learned backpacking back then to feel nostalgic about it now!

        "Remember, Be Careful out there!"

        Ned Tibbits, Director
        Mountain Education
        South Lake Tahoe, Ca. 96150
            P: 888-996-8333
            F: 530-541-1456
            C: 530-721-1551
            http://www.mountaineducation.org
      • Kim Fishburn
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 2, 2011
          #10 Tin cans? the last time I saw one of those I was camping in the Emigrant Wilderness. I heard a noise so I went down by the creek but didn't see anything. The next day I went do to get some water and saw something on the other side of the creek which I went to investigate. It turns out some horse packers had come in to drop of some food for a trail crew, only the trail crew didn't show up till  the next day. They just left the food laying on the ground. I probably heard them just as they were leaving. When I saw the food the next day the bears had already found it during the night. They'd ripped open the #10 tins of Kool-Aid and other food and had a picnic. There was huge piles of bear scat nearby. When the trail crew showed up they hung what was left in the tree and went to work.

          Kim

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 2, 2011
            Very cool.

            Here is another one from 1975, it also has music.

            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygin-fTfChU