Re: Best choice for car rental - Whitney Portal area to Merced or?

  • Kevin Aston
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 17, 2008
      I would drive to the east side of the trail to Hwy 395 and get your
      rental car at the Mammoth airport. You can drop your food off at the
      Red Meadows store while there. Drive to the Portal, drop your car,
      drive back to Mammoth Airport, and they will drive you to town where
      you can pick up one of two shuttles you will need to get to Happy
      Isles. They stop at the Tuolume post office where you can leave a food
      drop on the way. There is no way I would go to Merced. Look how far
      you would have to go to get to the Portal. 395 goes all of the way to
      the Oregon border. Don't complicate your trip by traveling on the west
      side. It would be 2 or 3 times the driving. I have rented cars twice
      at the Mammoth Airport. It is right on 395.

      Planning is half the fun
      Kevin Aston
      www.kevinaston.com

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Drew" <drew@...> wrote:

      > Hello all,
      >
      > I have received my reservation for starting my thru-hike on August 4th
      > from Yosemite.
      > I'm interested to see if my plans are sound and doable?
      >
      > We will be driving from Washington state, and would like to leave a
      > car at Whitney Portal, so my though was to rent a car on the way down
      > as close to Whitney as possible, follow my partners in and leave our
      > car at Whitney. Then drive the rental to Merced, return the car and
      > take Yarts into Yosemite.
      >
      > Does this sound reasonable/doable? I'm just starting to look at car
      > rentals, and thought there may be other options, so please chime in if
      > you would. This may be more difficult than I first thought, so I am
      > hoping some of you out there have some idea's...
      >
      > Thanks in advance,
      >
      > Drew

    • Drew
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 17, 2008
        Thanks kevin
        and,
        your absolutely right, why I didn't realize that is beyond me.. This
        is exactly why I posted the question.. I guess I needed a sanity
        check more than I thought. I have been so focused on the other aspects
        of getting ready I just presumed I would go straight south..

        Drew