[John Muir Trail] Re: Total bust

  • hmdsierra
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 30, 2011
      My wife and I started the trail around Sept 10, 1969. We had all our food, I hoped. My pack was 65 and hers 55. We made Nevada Fall the first day. Tuolumne Mdw on day 4 and Rush Ck on Day 5. She slipped ther and hurt her foot so we went out at Devil's Postpile two days later. Never knew if we would have had enough food for the whole trip but she was happy. Her pack was down to round 32 pounds when we came out. When my Son and I did it it was much better. We left most of our food at Red's and took 14 days of food to reach Vidette where my friend was planning on rejoining us. His knee was still hurting so he only brought us food to finish out five days later. So it is possible to carry enough food to get from Red's to Whitney in 19 days. But then we didn't have to put it in a bear canister.