Electrolyte replacement

    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 30, 2011
      Electrolyte replacement has recently attracted my interest because I've had problems with leg cramping on nights while backpacking and a leg cramp inside a hooped bivy is absolute the pits.  Its like agony getting out of the damn thing, and then I freeze once I am out of it.

      The following is a quite itneresting article for runners suggestions that it is better to repalce electrolytes with your food, rather than with sports drinks or things like Gatorade powder.  I found it convincing.

      http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=18090

      I had been in the habit of adding more salt to my food while backpacking -- than at home -- on the theory that I was losing more sodium on trail and needed to replace it, and this article suggests that is probably an effective approach, so I guess I will continue it.

      But I have been looking around for a gopd way to replace potassium -- the other major electrolyte that is lost due to sweat.  There is a product called "lite salt" which is a combination of potassium and sodium salts that looks like a promising approach.  And I'm considering bringing along some banana chips.

      Anybody else thought about this problem and have a favorite solution?

    • Ewa Bialkowski
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 30, 2011
        John,

        I am a runner and since I sweat buckets, during my long runs salt capsules or electrolyte tablets (I like Camelbak brand, I like eating them straight instead of dissolving them in water) are a must. I do not like sports drinks so I make my own mixture for fueling but that's another topic. Obviously, regular food is not very practical during a run. Of course after a run I eat regular food.

        I never use additional electrolytes when I hike or backpack. Most of my food is home made so I make sure it has plenty of salt and potassium (see this list http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/food-sources-of-potassium.php). If I use commercial stuff I certainly do not have to worry about salt. Mountain House, my favorite brand's dishes are very salty, sometimes too salty even for a saltoholic like me. My dates based energy bars take care of my potassium needs.

        I am curious to hear what others are using for their electrolyte needs.

        Ewa

        On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 4:11 PM, John Ladd <johnladd@...> wrote:

[...]

      • LEBRUN
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 30, 2011
          John,

          I have had good results with "Sqwincher."  They come in MRE's but you can buy them in bulk!

          TheEpicenter.com - Emergency Preparedness, Survival Food and Supplies.

          Hope this helps.

          Bruce

          On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 5:11 PM, John Ladd <johnladd@...> wrote:

[...]

        • Joe MacLeish
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 30, 2011

            I just reran a quick sum on the amount of Sodium I would expect to consume in just the normal food I eat in a day of backpacking.  Its plenty, 2 gms in just a single MH freeze dried Propack, plus breakfast and tuna and cheese and crackers and sausage for lunch and peanuts/cashews etc in the trail food.  I put lots of dried banana chips in my trail food for Potassium.  It seems to me that if I take care of the water and eat for calories I get plenty of electrolytes.

            Joe

            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 30, 2011

              I have had good results with electrolyte tablets from Gu, which I drop in my platypus. They are fizzy, taste good and seem to prevent cramping and reduce fatigue, especially when it is hot and I'm sweating a lot. There are several brands out there, including hammer and others that probably work just as well. Ultrarunners use something called salt sticks but that is probably overkill for backpacking. Extra salt in your food is a good idea too. I seem to recall that sea salt may have more potassium...not sure though.

              On Sep 30, 2011 5:19 PM, "LEBRUN" <bnslebrun@...> wrote:
              > John,
              >
              > I have had good results with "Sqwincher." They come in MRE's but you can
              > buy them in bulk!
              >
              > TheEpicenter.com - Emergency Preparedness, Survival Food and
              > Supplies.<http://theepicenter.com/>
              >
              > Hope this helps.
              >
              > Bruce
              >

              > On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 5:11 PM, John Ladd <johnladd@...> wrote:
              >
              >> **
              >>

              >> Electrolyte replacement has recently attracted my interest because I've had
              >> problems with leg cramping on nights while backpacking and a leg cramp
              >> inside a hooped bivy is absolute the pits. Its like agony getting out of
              >> the damn thing, and then I freeze once I am out of it.
              >>
              >> The following is a quite itneresting article for runners suggestions that
              >> it is better to repalce electrolytes with your food, rather than with sports
              >> drinks or things like Gatorade powder. I found it convincing.
              >>
              >> http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=18090
              >>
              >> I had been in the habit of adding more salt to my food while backpacking --
              >> than at home -- on the theory that I was losing more sodium on trail and
              >> needed to replace it, and this article suggests that is probably an
              >> effective approach, so I guess I will continue it.
              >>
              >> But I have been looking around for a gopd way to replace potassium -- the
              >> other major electrolyte that is lost due to sweat. There is a product
              >> called "lite salt" which is a combination of potassium and sodium salts that
              >> looks like a promising approach. And I'm considering bringing along some
              >> banana chips.
              >>
              >> Anybody else thought about this problem and have a favorite solution?
              >>
              >> John Curran Ladd
              >> 1616 Castro Street
              >> San Francisco, CA 94114-3707
              >> 415-648-9279

            • charliepolecat
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 30, 2011
                Ewa, for cycling I take Saltstick capsules (usually 4 -5 per hour depending..), Electrolyte tablets (Nathan Catalyst at present)in every 26 ounce water bottle, pickels, potassium tablets. This usually - but not always - takes care of the electrolyte needs as I too sweat buckets. By the way, I thought ladies didn't sweat, at least that's what the Victorians held.
              • Ewa Bialkowski
                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 30, 2011
                  Hmm... I guess I am not a lady and I love it. Victorian ladies would not run, hike or backpack. Yeah, I like not being a Victorian lady. :-)

                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 30, 2011
                    Maybe not sweetie, but some of the Victorian ladies were busy chaining themselves to railings and throwing themselves in front of the King's horse at Ascot so you could vote and, run, hike and backpack. ;-)

                    Message 9 of 18 , Sep 30, 2011
                      -;)

                      (Sorry John, I don't think they worried about electrolytes in Victorian times. We'll stop joking around, right?)

                      On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 5:51 PM, charliepolecat <kennethjessett@...> wrote:

                      Maybe not sweetie, but some of the Victorian ladies were busy chaining themselves to railings and throwing themselves in front of the King's horse at Ascot so you could vote and, run, hike and backpack. ;-)

                      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Ewa Bialkowski <ewa.bialkowski@...> wrote:

                      > Hmm... I guess I am not a lady and I love it. Victorian ladies would not
                      > run, hike or backpack. Yeah, I like not being a Victorian lady. :-)
                    • JamesB
                      Message 10 of 18 , Sep 30, 2011

                        > Electrolyte replacement has recently attracted my interest because I've had
                        > problems with leg cramping on nights while backpacking a

                        > The following is a quite itneresting article for runners suggestions that it
                        > is better to repalce electrolytes with your food, rather than with sports
                        > drinks or things like Gatorade powder. I found it convincing.
                        >
                        > http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=18090

                        My gastroenterologist told me that what he uses for electrolyte replacement is bullion cubes for hiking, and even biking. He said to find a flavor you like and make bullion , even cold bullion.

                        I remarked that for biking I stop at a convenience store and load up on V8 juice.I've been lucky and never had leg cramps while hiking.

                        Jim
                      • Don Amundson
                        Message 11 of 18 , Sep 30, 2011
                          I used to get leg cramps on the first night of a backpacking trip. The cause is more often than not attributed to dehydration/electrolyte imbalance or muscle fatigue caused by heavy exercise encountered while backpacking.  I've done a number of things to control the problem.  I drink more water than I feel like I want, both while hiking and after. Sometimes with a electrolyte replacement for flavor but not always.  I stay in shape year round with a routine that includes streching.  I carry a light load to minimize the muscle fatigue.  I thought about carrying potassium pills but never got around it.  I still can get a cramp after a hard day of hiking, but I attribute it to not drinking enough water.
                          Regarding getting out of a bivy with a cramp yikes!  Do yourself a favor John.  Get a nice sub 1lb shelter with room to move around. You could add a wide mouth collapsible Nalgene cantene 1L bottle to take care of business during the night and you'll never have to freeze again.:-)

                          Don

                          To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com

                          Message 12 of 18 , Sep 30, 2011
                            "You could add a wide mouth collapsible Nalgene cantene 1L bottle to take care of business during the night and you'll never have to freeze again.:-)"

                            just a note . . . this year I elected not to buy my usual gatorade "pee" bottle in the valley and instead, since I was using freeze dried mountain house, I figured, why not give this a try and they worked just fine. Just make sure to seal them back up and as an extra precaution, I elected to place the bag outside the tent, rather than make the mistake of having it fall over . . .

                            BOB

                          • clairehiker
                            Message 13 of 18 , Oct 2, 2011
                              I dehydrate bananas, and we have the equivalent of a whole banana a day. I also like some salted nuts during the day, and I use Nuun tablets in my water. They really don't have significant quanties of electrolytes, but it makes the water fizzy and flavorful.
                              Claire

                              > Electrolyte replacement has recently attracted my interest because I've had
                              > problems with leg cramping on nights while backpacking and a leg cramp
                              > inside a hooped bivy is absolute the pits. Its like agony getting out of
                              > the damn thing, and then I freeze once I am out of it.
                              >
                              > The following is a quite itneresting article for runners suggestions that it
                              > is better to repalce electrolytes with your food, rather than with sports
                              > drinks or things like Gatorade powder. I found it convincing.
                              >
                              > http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=18090
                              >
                              > I had been in the habit of adding more salt to my food while backpacking --
                              > than at home -- on the theory that I was losing more sodium on trail and
                              > needed to replace it, and this article suggests that is probably an
                              > effective approach, so I guess I will continue it.
                              >
                              > But I have been looking around for a gopd way to replace potassium -- the
                              > other major electrolyte that is lost due to sweat. There is a product
                              > called "lite salt" which is a combination of potassium and sodium salts that
                              > looks like a promising approach. And I'm considering bringing along some
                              > banana chips.
                              >
                              > Anybody else thought about this problem and have a favorite solution?
                              >
                              > John Curran Ladd
                              > 1616 Castro Street
                              > San Francisco, CA 94114-3707
                              > 415-648-9279

                            • targetdoggmechanic
                              Message 14 of 18 , Oct 3, 2011
                                One of my favorite mid-day treats, and sometimes in the evening if I have extra, is gatorade single-use packets. You can get them at walmart, target, grocery stores, etc. I usually buy a 20oz bottle of gatorade before I leave Curry Village, and drink that on my way up to LYV. Always keep the bottle in the bear can at night because it has gatorade scent. This bottle will be my gatorade bottle throughout the trip, and my 1-L aguafina widemouth bottle is my trusty UL water bottle. Throughout the trip, fill up the 20oz gatorade bottle with fresh sierra water and add a gatorade packet...always a welcome treat! And for a little kick, there is a soda spring just as you go up the long switchbacks out of red's meadow, just before the red cones. It makes a great cold bubbly gatorade...no sulfer taste either! Very refreshing!
                              • Joe MacLeish
                                Message 15 of 18 , Oct 3, 2011

                                  Where is that Soda Spring please?  Just a little more detail

                                  Thanks

                                  Joe

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Oct 3, 2011
                                    --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Joe MacLeish" <jmacleish@...> wrote:

                                    > Where is that Soda Spring please? Just a little more detail

                                    As you leave the burnt out forest above red's, right as you leave the fire burned area and begin the first long switchback (there are 3 or 4 of them). There is a little spring that comes out in the apex of the hairpin curve that begins the first switchback.

                                    Found it by surprise one time to get a bottle of water. Took a drink and it was a bit shocking since I wasnt prepared for the bubbles!
                                  • Joe MacLeish
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Oct 3, 2011

                                      Dog:

                                      Thanks, I must have walked right past it in July when I was through there.  I will put this in my trail notes for next trip.

                                      Thanks

                                      Joe

                                      > Where is that Soda Spring please? Just a little more detail

                                      As you leave the burnt out forest above red's, right as you leave the fire burned area and begin the first long switchback (there are 3 or 4 of them). There is a little spring that comes out in the apex of the hairpin curve that begins the first switchback.

                                      Found it by surprise one time to get a bottle of water. Took a drink and it was a bit shocking since I wasnt prepared for the bubbles!

                                    • JULIE BINION
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Oct 4, 2011
                                        There is also an ice cold soda spring just beyond the Middle Rae Lake, heading south, toward Glenn Pass. It is on the left in the meadow a little before Upper Rae Lake. Frosted our water bottles. Very refreshing!