Pics from JMT 9/6 to 9/23

  • stbcho
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 30, 2011
      Hello folks, I'm a new member. It looks like this group is a great resource..

      I had an amazing time needless to say. There was a stretch of rain for much of the trip, so there's a gap in my pics since my solar charger was out of action, but no complaints it wasn't too bad. I was chased off of Whitney with an incoming storm, which I barely missed.

      Met some great people on the trail, which balanced out the solitude time that I was looking for. Had some friends resupply me over Kearsage and join me up the final 3 days up to Whitney.

      Great times. Thought I'd share my pics- all were with my trusty iphone.

      https://picasaweb.google.com/113971438638240992937/JMTPhotos?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCJfRksXrraXEPA&feat=directlink

      Steven
    • Barbara Karagosian

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 30, 2011
          Amazing how nice some of those photos are with your Iphone:

          https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/k8rkBP7v-0Gua2FSwCSXhVcf4lyjEO1pulwCdfLViMI?full-exif=true

          You're good with that Iphone!
        • stbcho
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 30, 2011
            yup sure did. I always backpack in slippers- I use it because it's light, comfortable and agile- it makes stream crossings a non issue. There are obvious drawbacks- clipping the occassional rock, doesn't work in snow. I plan my trips accordingly. There was snow in the passes, but with trekking poles, it wasn't an issue when I went, but it wouldn't have worked a couple months earlier.

            It was my longest trip with just slippers- probably too long in retrospect. Next time I'll switch out to some trail runners every few days to let the scuffs recover, and the long talus sections.

            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Barbara Karagosian <barbara@...> wrote:

            > Great pics, thanks for sharing. Looks like you got some weather. Did you wear those sandals all the way?
            >
            > Barbara
            > Typos by iPhone.
            >
            > On Sep 30, 2011, at 12:10 PM, "stbcho" <stbcho@...> wrote:
            >
            > > Hello folks, I'm a new member. It looks like this group is a great resource..
            > >
            > > I had an amazing time needless to say. There was a stretch of rain for much of the trip, so there's a gap in my pics since my solar charger was out of action, but no complaints it wasn't too bad. I was chased off of Whitney with an incoming storm, which I barely missed.
            > >
            > > Met some great people on the trail, which balanced out the solitude time that I was looking for. Had some friends resupply me over Kearsage and join me up the final 3 days up to Whitney.
            > >
            > > Great times. Thought I'd share my pics- all were with my trusty iphone.
            > >
            > > https://picasaweb.google.com/113971438638240992937/JMTPhotos?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCJfRksXrraXEPA&feat=directlink
            > >
            > > Steven

          • Barbara Karagosian
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 30, 2011
              I'm impressed!

               Barbara
              Typos by iPhone.

              On Sep 30, 2011, at 1:22 PM, "stbcho" <stbcho@...> wrote:

              yup sure did. I always backpack in slippers- I use it because it's light, comfortable and agile- it makes stream crossings a non issue. There are obvious drawbacks- clipping the occassional rock, doesn't work in snow. I plan my trips accordingly. There was snow in the passes, but with trekking poles, it wasn't an issue when I went, but it wouldn't have worked a couple months earlier.

              It was my longest trip with just slippers- probably too long in retrospect. Next time I'll switch out to some trail runners every few days to let the scuffs recover, and the long talus sections.

              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Barbara Karagosian <barbara@...> wrote:

              > Great pics, thanks for sharing. Looks like you got some weather. Did you wear those sandals all the way?
              >
              > Barbara
              > Typos by iPhone.
              >
              > On Sep 30, 2011, at 12:10 PM, "stbcho" <stbcho@...> wrote:
              >
              > > Hello folks, I'm a new member. It looks like this group is a great resource..
              > >
              > > I had an amazing time needless to say. There was a stretch of rain for much of the trip, so there's a gap in my pics since my solar charger was out of action, but no complaints it wasn't too bad. I was chased off of Whitney with an incoming storm, which I barely missed.
              > >
              > > Met some great people on the trail, which balanced out the solitude time that I was looking for. Had some friends resupply me over Kearsage and join me up the final 3 days up to Whitney.
              > >
              > > Great times. Thought I'd share my pics- all were with my trusty iphone.
              > >
              > > https://picasaweb.google.com/113971438638240992937/JMTPhotos?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCJfRksXrraXEPA&feat=directlink
              > >
              > > Steven

            • stbcho
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 30, 2011
                thanks. I had a small gorillapod tripod, and used the HDR function on the phone. I was happy with it for what it was.. Also allowed me to have the Wenk book in digital form that I could double check stuff on.

                > Amazing how nice some of those photos are with your Iphone:
                >
                > https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/k8rkBP7v-0Gua2FSwCSXhVcf4lyjEO1pulwCdfLViMI?full-exif=true
                >
                > You're good with that Iphone!

              • clairehiker
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 2, 2011
                  Really like the pictures of Bighorn Plateau. I've only been through there in rain or very gray skies. The blue sky with the low clouds looked awesome.
                  Claire

                  --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "stbcho" <stbcho@...> wrote:

                  > thanks. I had a small gorillapod tripod, and used the HDR function on the phone. I was happy with it for what it was.. Also allowed me to have the Wenk book in digital form that I could double check stuff on.
                  >
                  > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Roleigh Martin <roleigh@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Amazing how nice some of those photos are with your Iphone:
                  > >
                  > > https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/k8rkBP7v-0Gua2FSwCSXhVcf4lyjEO1pulwCdfLViMI?full-exif=true
                  > >
                  > > You're good with that Iphone!

                • jgoring
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 3, 2011
                    Ah ha!!  So thats what Forrester pass looks like when it isn't hailing/raining/shooting lightening all over the place!