Memories Day 11

  • hmdsierra
    Message 1 of 473 , Aug 11, 1999
      Day 11 Aug 11, 1982<br>We had a cold night and I
      have a medium light bag. I thought the bag I brought
      was a little heavier than the one I had been using
      but the first morning out I could see hoe the
      insulation haf pulled back from the zipper anfd inch or two
      on eack side. Still it does quite well in the
      summer. The ace bandage I put on at Fish Ck. three days
      ago got to uncomfortable to wear and I had to remove
      it during the night but at least my knee is better.
      We slept till 8AM fished some for breakfast and
      started out at 9:40. In just under 2 1/2 hours we were on
      Selden Pass enjoying the view. Passed are special places
      for me and for Owen. A chance tothrow the pack down
      and kiss the ground for a while. Looking back we get
      our last view of the Minerets and ahead Heart Lk. and
      S. Fork San Joaquin. We spent 45 minutes on the pass
      about our usual amount of time. On the way down the
      fish in the creek above Heart Lk. were at least 12
      inches from the trail. Couldn't resist so I broke out my
      fly rod and went down. The fish shrunk while I was
      getting there to about 7 inches, no luck either. Fish
      were everywhere and we found the same scene at Sally
      Keyes Lk. inlet, 2 to 4 dozen trout. The west Sally
      Keyes Lk was different than most with the inlet and the
      outlet close together at the same end. Passing the
      campsites on the ridge between the two lakes we again saw
      the ranger, picking foil out of the fireplaces. He is
      working his way out for his days off. Sally Keyes Lks.
      are a very scenic spot and there is a fine meadow
      below the lakes. We looked for but did not find the
      cutoff trail to Blaney Mdws. that showes on my map,
      didn't find it the next time either. It's a good thing
      that we didn't want to take that trail. At Senger Ck.
      we took a 30 minute rest then fell down the face of
      the mountain, glad not to be going uphill here. On
      the way down a big buck still in velvet broke thru
      the brush just ahead of us (less than 30 feet)
      crossed the trail and continued uphill. We finally came
      to rest in camp on the east side of Piute Ck. Kings
      Canyon NP at last. We did the last two miles in 45
      minutes. Firewood was scarce but we were able to pick up
      enough small sticks from under the manzanita to cook
      dinner. Visited some of the others there before bed. 13.1
      miles today, longest daily distance of the trip.
    • tiocampo
      Message 473 of 473 , Feb 24, 2002