Re: [John Muir Trail] Best choice for car rental - Whitney Portal area to Merced

  • Drew
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 17, 2008
      Thanks Bob,

      That sounds very doable. I will have to take a close look as Aug. 4th
      is a Monday I would need to make sure I get everything sorted if using
      this option. I would love to leave my car out of the picture for many
      reasons, time, gas, theft possibilities, etc...

      I'll do a workup and see if I can create a working schedule.

      Drew

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Bankhead"
      <wandering_bob@...> wrote:

      > OK, so you are hiking southbound. Leave your car at home.
      >
      > Fly into Reno on any weekday but Wednesday. Take the 1145 am CREST
      bus from the airport into Mammoth Lakes. Stay overnight - I'd
      recommend the Shilo Inn right next door to the McDonald's (which is
      where both buses stop). Catch the 7:20 am YARTS bus into either
      Tuolumne Meadows (9:05 am) or Yosemite Valley (10:55 am) and start hiking.

      http://www.inyocounty.us/transit/Bishop%20to%20Mammoth%20Commuter%20page.htm

      > Stay overnight there or take another INYO bus to Mammoth Lakes and
      stay overnight there. From either location, catch the CREST bus
      (reservations required) to the Reno airport (any weekday but
      Wednesday) and fly home.

      > No long multi-day drive. No car rental hassels. No $4.50 a gallon
      gasoline. Timing becomes more critical since the buses don't run on
      weekends and reservations are required on the CREST bus to Reno -
      that's their most popular run.

      > Wandering Bob

    • Frank Martin
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 17, 2008
        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Drew" <drew@...> wrote:

        > Hello all,
        >
        > I have received my reservation for starting my thru-hike on August 4th
        > from Yosemite.
        > I'm interested to see if my plans are sound and doable?
        >
        > We will be driving from Washington state, and would like to leave a
        > car at Whitney Portal, so my though was to rent a car on the way down
        > as close to Whitney as possible, follow my partners in and leave our
        > car at Whitney. Then drive the rental to Merced, return the car and
        > take Yarts into Yosemite.
        >
        > Does this sound reasonable/doable? I'm just starting to look at car
        > rentals, and thought there may be other options, so please chime in if
        > you would. This may be more difficult than I first thought, so I am
        > hoping some of you out there have some idea's...
        >
        > Thanks in advance,
        >
        > Drew

        Rent a car at Mammoth Lakes. Drop a car at the Portal and return the
        car to mammoth and take Yarts in the morning to Yosemite.

        While you are doing that someone else

        could take the shuttle to Red's Meadow and leave a food drop there.
      • Drew
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 17, 2008
          Frank,

          That's an Idea. The family is looking for something to do while I'm
          away, so maybe I could talk them into hanging out in Reno/Tahoe for
          awhile but have them drop me at Mammoth.
          I like the idea of a food drop too, saves on mailing and paying the
          prices associated.

          Thanks,

          Drew

          > Rent a car at Mammoth Lakes. Drop a car at the Portal and return the
          > car to mammoth and take Yarts in the morning to Yosemite.
          >
          > While you are doing that someone else
          >
          > could take the shuttle to Red's Meadow and leave a food drop there.

        • Derek Peters
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 17, 2008
            Drew,

            Instead of worrying about leaving a rental at the trailhead, consider using a shuttle service. I've done this and it makes for less worries. YARTs runs out the Merced in the west and to Mammoth Lakes in the east. You could just park at Yosemite and have a shuttle meet you at the portal and get you to Mammoth Then catch YARTs back to pick up your car.

            Check out http://www.climber.org/data/shuttles.html
            That way you aren't paying rental days on a parked car!

            Derek

            Drew <drew@...> wrote: Hello all,

            I have received my reservation for starting my thru-hike on August 4th
            from Yosemite.
            I'm interested to see if my plans are sound and doable?

            We will be driving from Washington state, and would like to leave a
            car at Whitney Portal, so my though was to rent a car on the way down
            as close to Whitney as possible, follow my partners in and leave our
            car at Whitney. Then drive the rental to Merced, return the car and
            take Yarts into Yosemite.

            Does this sound reasonable/doable? I'm just starting to look at car
            rentals, and thought there may be other options, so please chime in if
            you would. This may be more difficult than I first thought, so I am
            hoping some of you out there have some idea's...

            Thanks in advance,

            Drew

          • Kevin Aston
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 17, 2008
              I would drive to the east side of the trail to Hwy 395 and get your
              rental car at the Mammoth airport. You can drop your food off at the
              Red Meadows store while there. Drive to the Portal, drop your car,
              drive back to Mammoth Airport, and they will drive you to town where
              you can pick up one of two shuttles you will need to get to Happy
              Isles. They stop at the Tuolume post office where you can leave a food
              drop on the way. There is no way I would go to Merced. Look how far
              you would have to go to get to the Portal. 395 goes all of the way to
              the Oregon border. Don't complicate your trip by traveling on the west
              side. It would be 2 or 3 times the driving. I have rented cars twice
              at the Mammoth Airport. It is right on 395.

              Planning is half the fun
              Kevin Aston
              www.kevinaston.com

              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Drew" <drew@...> wrote:

              > Hello all,
              >
              > I have received my reservation for starting my thru-hike on August 4th
              > from Yosemite.
              > I'm interested to see if my plans are sound and doable?
              >
              > We will be driving from Washington state, and would like to leave a
              > car at Whitney Portal, so my though was to rent a car on the way down
              > as close to Whitney as possible, follow my partners in and leave our
              > car at Whitney. Then drive the rental to Merced, return the car and
              > take Yarts into Yosemite.
              >
              > Does this sound reasonable/doable? I'm just starting to look at car
              > rentals, and thought there may be other options, so please chime in if
              > you would. This may be more difficult than I first thought, so I am
              > hoping some of you out there have some idea's...
              >
              > Thanks in advance,
              >
              > Drew

            • Drew
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 17, 2008
                Thanks kevin
                and,
                your absolutely right, why I didn't realize that is beyond me.. This
                is exactly why I posted the question.. I guess I needed a sanity
                check more than I thought. I have been so focused on the other aspects
                of getting ready I just presumed I would go straight south..

                Drew