Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: Review of the MOLLE II (Army) large rucksack

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 25, 2011
      On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 8:18 AM, Robert <rnperky@...> wrote:

      Nice review John. Looks like lots of options for how an individual can configure it. I wonder if a MYOG person could use the frame and use the same concept with lighter material to cut the weight a bit?

      I assume so, though my impression that the weight tends to be mostly in the very sturdy frame, the shoulder harness, and the hipbelt.  The actual "bags" have relatively few "bells-and-whistles" other than the lash points for adding the modular added components like the side sustainment packs.The main bag is a single bag with a snow collar and just one added pocket.  The "sleep system carrier" is just a single bag with a snow collar.  While there are fabrics lighter than Cordura and similarly waterproof, I  would guess you would save maybe a pound at best and probably less, so it would still be a heavy bag and you would have sacrificed some of its durability and/or it's ability to accomodate additional components when needed.  Of course, you could just make the bags smaller, but that defeats much of the purpose.

      Thanks for the courteous response.

      PS: For those of you not familiar with the term "snow collar" you will know it if you see it - it is the thing that allows a section of a pack to be overfilled beyond it's normal capacity (or allows compression upon closure). Looks roughly like this (picture is not from the MOLLE).

      016.jpg