Memories Day 10

  • hmdsierra
    Message 1 of 473 , Aug 10, 1999
      Day 10 Aug 10.1982<br>We halfway hung our packs
      last night because we were close to Edison Lk. and
      campgrounds. I say halfway because we just pulled them about 8
      feet up with the old tied off rope trick. We tied on
      our pan alarm and about 2 AM I heard the clank of
      metal...from the bell on the horse or mule that walked by on
      the trail. We boiled some coffee water for our sore
      footed guests from last night. We visited for a while so
      didn't get the early start we had planned on. The woman
      grew up in Iceland and her and her husband live in
      L.A. They didn't have much to eat and soon moved on to
      Mono Hot Spgs. We started at 9:15 talked to some
      people on the trail and soon made the saddle on Bear
      Ridge. It looked like a good sign but the trail didn't
      go over there but switchbacked up the ridge then
      snaked along near the top. Every time it looked like we
      were going to start down the trail veered north and
      climbed higher. After much cursing we finally made the
      top and actually started down. From the north you
      climb 2200 feet then drop 1100 on the south side. I was
      ready to strangle the yahoo who designed that one. The
      next time I crossed that ridge I was prepared from
      this experience and it did not bother me quite as
      much. We stopped at a small creek on the way down for
      lunch and about an hour later came to Bear Ck. Bear Ck
      lies in a deep valley very much like Cascade Valley
      and presented a beautiful view on the way down. This
      creek is very fishable and we did just that the
      following year when we spent a week here along with my
      younger son Brian and a friend. We crossed Hilgard Branch
      on the bridge which we found washed out the
      following year. I moved on ahead to find a camp near the
      Bear Ck. crossing arriving at 4:50PM and Owen caught
      up about 10 minutes later. The crossing was high and
      swift but just downstream was an island with two logs
      that we crossed on. One of the logs was still there in
      '83 but the second had washed away. We came upon the
      ranger doing some trail work and talked a while. We soon
      found a campsite and while I fixed dinner Owen went
      fishing. After dinner he went back and after doing the
      dishes I joined him. He had lost his lure and was
      starting back to camp. I fished for a while and caught 4
      two of which we kept. One was a golden and the other
      a golden/brook cross. Back in camp we watched the
      alpenglow on Seven Gables and I smoked a bowlful before
      turning in. 10.2 miles today.
    • tiocampo
      Message 473 of 473 , Feb 24, 2002