Food Question

  • Jay Strine
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 14 12:32 PM
      I am trying to cut down on my load, so I can do more miles this year.
      The one thing I am having a hard time cutting down on is food weight.
      Does anyone have any information on foods/menus that do not require
      cooking. Light foods that will give me the energy and protien I need
      and that do not require the use of a stove or hot water?

      Thank you
      Jay Strine
    • clairehiker
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 14 1:51 PM
        Good luck on cutting down your food load. We met people doing that and they were hungry!
        Even eating lots we lost about 10lbs over the whole trip.
        But one "meal" we did was to mix protein powder and tang with water, and it made a drink
        like an orange julius. We did that on mornings we wanted to get going quickly without a
        breakfast.
        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Jay Strine" <hundyff@...> wrote:

        > I am trying to cut down on my load, so I can do more miles this year.
        > The one thing I am having a hard time cutting down on is food weight.
        > Does anyone have any information on foods/menus that do not require
        > cooking. Light foods that will give me the energy and protien I need
        > and that do not require the use of a stove or hot water?
        >
        > Thank you
        > Jay Strine

      • Frank Martin
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 14 2:04 PM
          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Jay Strine" <hundyff@...> wrote:

          > I am trying to cut down on my load, so I can do more miles this year.
          > The one thing I am having a hard time cutting down on is food weight.
          > Does anyone have any information on foods/menus that do not require
          > cooking. Light foods that will give me the energy and protien I need
          > and that do not require the use of a stove or hot water?
          >
          > Thank you
          > Jay Strine

          I make my own Tabouleh, Humus and Baba Ghanoush and re-hydrate them on
          the trail. About 4-5 oz dry makes a meal. Supplement with pita bread
          if you like but they are fine alone with a little olive oil added.
          Tabouleh will re-hydrate in two hours. The others are instant.

          Really give you a lot of protein/weight ratio.

          frank
        • Dan McGuire
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 14 2:06 PM
            I think the last thing you want to cut down on is food weight - certainly go
            with dehydrated meals, etc but at the end of the day, that food is what is
            going to be getting you over the passes. Not sure what you've used in the
            past for a cooking set up, but you can certainly do an alcohol stove, single
            lightweight pot combination for little weight and the emotional benefit of a
            hot meal at the end of the day has always been worth it to me. My general
            rule of thumb on food weight is that if you're carrying less than about
            between 1 and 1.5 lbs per day on the trail, you're not carrying enough.
            Meals tend to be: Breakfast - granola and powdered milk. Lunch: cheese and
            tortillas and rehydrated bean dip Dinners: rehydrated and heated meals -
            pasta with red sauce, couscous, black bean chili, etc. Snacks through the
            day fall along the lines of cliff bars, m&m's, dried fruit, some nuts.
            Works for me, but your mileage may vary. The only hot meal I make is dinner
            - which does save on the fuel weight.

            I know people that have done long hikes sans stoves, but even then, you need
            to not skimp on food calories. Before giving up the marginal weight of a
            stove and fuel, weigh it carefully against the benefits...

            Dan McGuire

            Production Manager

            STOMP - Tour of the Americas

            <mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com> , "Jay Strine" <hundyff@...> wrote:

            > I am trying to cut down on my load, so I can do more miles this year.
            > The one thing I am having a hard time cutting down on is food weight.
            > Does anyone have any information on foods/menus that do not require
            > cooking. Light foods that will give me the energy and protien I need
            > and that do not require the use of a stove or hot water?
            >
            > Thank you
            > Jay Strine

          • Jason
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 14 2:14 PM
              Don't carry everything at once. I suggest carrying only one extra meal
              beyond what you need to get to your next major stopping point. I suggest 2
              days of food from the valley to Tuolumne Meadows. Then resupply at that
              point with enough to get you to the next stop. Continue this until you're
              done. I only went from the valley to Red's Meadow, so I couldn't advise
              beyond that. Personally, I prefer Mountain House Pro dehydrated food. It
              is good, light and easy to make. Supplement this with your choice of trail
              snacks.

              Good luck on cutting down your food load. We met people doing that and they
              were hungry!
              Even eating lots we lost about 10lbs over the whole trip.
              But one "meal" we did was to mix protein powder and tang with water, and it
              made a drink
              like an orange julius. We did that on mornings we wanted to get going
              quickly without a
              breakfast.
              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
              <mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com> , "Jay Strine" <hundyff@...> wrote:

              > I am trying to cut down on my load, so I can do more miles this year.
              > The one thing I am having a hard time cutting down on is food weight.
              > Does anyone have any information on foods/menus that do not require
              > cooking. Light foods that will give me the energy and protien I need
              > and that do not require the use of a stove or hot water?
              >
              > Thank you
              > Jay Strine

            • Fred Sharples
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 14 3:08 PM
                Here's a little list of uncooked foods listed by calories to weight.

                http://www.the-ultralight-site.com/backpackingfood.html

                I agree with Clairehiker - don't skimp on food. You might not be super
                hungry the first week. But after that, you just can't get enough food. The
                starvation thing is really a trip wrecker for many people.

                My secret way to battle boring trail food is variety pack jelly belly jelly
                beans. They're not good for you but they're just the thing to get some
                flavors you just really can't find out there. (or anywhere I suppose). - 5
                calories each. I eat one at a time. ration one handful per day. Yum.

                --
                Orange Design Inc.
                Games - Tech - Art

              • hmdsierra
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 14 3:17 PM
                  When my friend and my then 10 year old son did the trail I had
                  prepared meals for three. My friend dropped out after five days at
                  Red's Mdw. due to a bum knee. Within a week those meals for three
                  could have been meals for two although we continued to make three out
                  of them. We caught a few fish to help out but dinner was usually
                  finished quickly. We didn't feel hungry and I don't think we lost any
                  weight and definately didn't gain any. We cooked both breakfast and
                  dinner. Lunch was usually some snacks.

                  --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Fred Sharples" <fred@...> wrote:

                  > Here's a little list of uncooked foods listed by calories to weight.
                  >
                  > http://www.the-ultralight-site.com/backpackingfood.html
                  >
                  > I agree with Clairehiker - don't skimp on food. You might not be super
                  > hungry the first week. But after that, you just can't get enough
                  food. The
                  > starvation thing is really a trip wrecker for many people.
                  >
                  > My secret way to battle boring trail food is variety pack jelly
                  belly jelly
                  > beans. They're not good for you but they're just the thing to get some
                  > flavors you just really can't find out there. (or anywhere I
                  suppose). - 5
                  > calories each. I eat one at a time. ration one handful per day. Yum.
                  >

                  > On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 1:51 PM, clairehiker <clairehiker@...>
                  > wrote:
                  >
                  > > Good luck on cutting down your food load. We met people doing
                  that and
                  > > they were hungry!
                  > > Even eating lots we lost about 10lbs over the whole trip.
                  > > But one "meal" we did was to mix protein powder and tang with
                  water, and
                  > > it made a drink
                  > > like an orange julius. We did that on mornings we wanted to get going
                  > > quickly without a
                  > > breakfast.
                  > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
                  <johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com>,
                  > > "Jay Strine" <hundyff@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > I am trying to cut down on my load, so I can do more miles this
                  year.
                  > > > The one thing I am having a hard time cutting down on is food
                  weight.
                  > > > Does anyone have any information on foods/menus that do not require
                  > > > cooking. Light foods that will give me the energy and protien I need
                  > > > and that do not require the use of a stove or hot water?
                  > > > Any information would be greatly appreciated.
                  > > >
                  > > > Thank you
                  > > > Jay Strine
                  > > >

                  > --
                  > Orange Design Inc.
                  > Games - Tech - Art
                  > 2601 Mission Street #800
                  > San Francisco, CA 94110
                  > 415.643.4465 - Studio
                  > 415.722.6442 - Mobile
                  > http://orangedesign.com

                • Barbara Karagosian
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 14 4:51 PM
                    Here;s a list of bar nutrients - 85 different bars including Snickers!
                    Thanks to nano! Barbara

                    http://nanopuck.blogspot.com/2007/06/bars-bars-bars-bars.html

                    <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=5334735/grpspId=1705126166/msgId
                    =1907/stime=1205532528/nc1=4767086/nc2=4990215/nc3=5202322>