Parking/Transportation

  • Jay Strine
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 14, 2008
      I am going to try to hike a section of the JMT this summer. I was
      going to try to access it from either Tabose Pass or Bishop Pass. Does
      any one know if there is parking at the trail heads to either trail. I
      know the trails are about 12 miles from the JMT. I cannot tell from
      the maps if there is parking at the trail heads.
      Also can you drive to Vermilion Ranch from HWY 395? All the
      information I have found only show directions from HWY 99.

      Thank you
      Jay Strine
    • Dan McGuire
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 14, 2008
        Hey Jay,

        Not sure about parking at Bishop or Taboose trail heads, though I imagine
        there probably is. As for driving to VVR from 395, you would be in for a
        LONG drive. VVR is on the west side of the Sierras and 395 is on the east
        side. To get from one to the other by car you need to either go all the way
        up to Tuolumne pass and back down, or all the way south to Walker Pass and
        back up - either way, you're talking about 6 or 7 hours.

        Scooter

        I am going to try to hike a section of the JMT this summer. I was
        going to try to access it from either Tabose Pass or Bishop Pass. Does
        any one know if there is parking at the trail heads to either trail. I
        know the trails are about 12 miles from the JMT. I cannot tell from
        the maps if there is parking at the trail heads.
        Also can you drive to Vermilion Ranch from HWY 395? All the
        information I have found only show directions from HWY 99.

        Thank you
        Jay Strine

      • Barbara Karagosian
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 14, 2008
          For Bishop Pass you can park at the North Lake trailhead. From Bishop turn
          west from 395 onto West Line St (168), go 15.5 miles SW to signed junction
          with South Lake Rd. Turn left onto S Lake Rd and go 7 miles to roadend
          above South lake. There's a lot above the day use parking. The trailhead
          is at the road end east of the restrooms. Barbara

          _____

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 14, 2008
            The only way you can drive to Vermilion is from the west side. My wife
            drove over to get us 2 years ago and from Lee Vining to Vermilion was
            about 9 hours.

            There is good parking North Lake going over Piute pass by Bishop, I
            would guess there is good parking at South Lake too.
            Good hiking.
            Kevin Aston

            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Jay Strine" <hundyff@...> wrote:

            > I am going to try to hike a section of the JMT this summer. I was
            > going to try to access it from either Tabose Pass or Bishop Pass. Does
            > any one know if there is parking at the trail heads to either trail. I
            > know the trails are about 12 miles from the JMT. I cannot tell from
            > the maps if there is parking at the trail heads.
            > Also can you drive to Vermilion Ranch from HWY 395? All the
            > information I have found only show directions from HWY 99.
            >
            > Thank you
            > Jay Strine

          • thomas taylor
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 14, 2008
              THi Jay,

              To add to Barbara's response to you question regading
              Tabose Pass, you can park at the Tabose Pass trailhead
              which is located in the desert along a sandy road (2
              wheel drive no problem but no cover-hot sun bearing
              down all day on the vehicle) about 5 miles before you
              start climbing.

              The trail to the pass is steep with a lot of talus and
              no water that is accessiable until you are about
              half-way up which provides the only place that one
              person could camp (you sure wouldn't want to unless
              you had to).

              That said, I was once hiking down when a trail runner
              passed me by going up! Great workout!

              Thomas
              --- Barbara Karagosian <barbara@...> wrote:

              > For Bishop Pass you can park at the North Lake
              > trailhead. From Bishop turn
              > west from 395 onto West Line St (168), go 15.5 miles
              > SW to signed junction
              > with South Lake Rd. Turn left onto S Lake Rd and go
              > 7 miles to roadend
              > above South lake. There's a lot above the day use
              > parking. The trailhead
              > is at the road end east of the restrooms. Barbara
              >
              > _____

            • Frank Martin
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 15, 2008
                I think Bishop Pass Is the South lake TH while Piute Pass is the North
                Lake trailhead.

                frank
              • paprovence
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 15, 2008
                  Concerning Bishop Pass, there is a small parking lot at SOUTH LAKE not
                  North Lake which is on the other side of Table Mountain. The lot
                  typically fills up on Thursday Nights, however there is additional
                  parking on the road leading to South Lake. Concerning Taboose Pass,
                  there is also a small parking area at he end of the road and there is
                  usually plenty of parking. My preference would be to go over Bishop
                  Pass, giving you the chance to see Dusy Basin. Concerning a road to
                  Edison Lake, Highway 168, which you would take to South Lake from
                  Bishop, it does not continue over the Mountains to Edison Lake; even
                  though Highway 168 is also the road you would take from Fresno to
                  Huntington Lake then on to Edison Lake; the road, fortunately, was
                  never completed. The only ways to Edison Lake from the east side is
                  backpacking, driving through Yosemite, or going south then west then
                  north.
                • Kevin Aston
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 15, 2008
                    There is a parking lot at North Lake, right by the Bishop Outfitters
                    location. It will hold probably 50-75 cars. It is not right at the
                    trail head as there is a campground there, and only campers can stay
                    there, but you do have to walk through the campground to go up the
                    Piute trail. The parking lot is about 1/4 to 3/8 of a mile from the
                    trail head. The walk is on a very nice dirt road, and you can drop off
                    all of your gear and people at the trail head and then just have one
                    person walk the short distance without gear. It is no big deal. I came
                    out there last year and am going in there this year.

                    Coming out there is a pain if you do not have a car waiting. You do
                    not get cel service for another 20 miles down the canyon, and there is
                    a 5 mile trip to get to the nearest phone and store. We had to get a
                    rental car when we came out and had to go to Bishop to get that.
                    Hitch-hiking down to Bishop took me 2 hours to go 28 miles. If you are
                    going to come out that way have a car waiting.

                    Summer is almost here!!!! ( I'm a school teacher )
                    Kevin Aston
                    http://www.kevinaston.com/JohnMuirLinks.html