Re: Conclusions on Transportation, Backcountry Ranger Authority and fishing.

  • John Karpinski
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 10, 2008
      H,
      Though it is good practice, I don't think barbless hooks are required in the upper
      tributaries of the Kern, Kings San Joaquin and Tuolumne Rivers that are along the JMT.
      The California Freshwater Fishing Regs have always been an adventure in understanding,
      but I guess it is a very complex state in terms of the water resources.
      Download the pdf file at: http://www.dfg.ca.gov/regulations/
      Click on the 2008/09 Freshwater Regs.

      I have rarely run across a backcountry ranger in the Sierras in all my years of hiking so I
      can't speak to that. I've always tried to legal because I feel the regs are fair and are there
      to maintain the quality of the wilderness experience.