Re: Conclusions on Transportation, Backcountry Ranger Authority and fishing.

  • Frank Martin
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 10, 2008
      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "e1705email" <df@...> wrote:

      > Thank you all who posted regarding best ways to get to and from the
      > trailheads. My personal plan has firmed up and thought to pass it along
      > in case it was of use for anyone.
      >
      > Leave Hawaii Aug 4 to Oakland (best price). Quick trip to REI, then use
      > youth hostel in downtown SF the night of Aug 4 (Monday). Get up early
      > and catch the AMtrak combination of buses and trains all the way to
      > Yosemite. Their timetable says depart Embarcadero Ferry Building
      > 7:05AM, arrive Yosemite 1:20PM on Tuesday Aug 5th. Spend the night at
      > backpacker's campground, pick up permit Aug 6 (Wed) AM and go.

      You might want to pick up your permit on Tuesday afternoon. get an
      early start on Wednesday. technically to stay in the BP Campground
      you are supposed to have a permit in possession but really doesn't
      matter too much

      > Return trip from Whiney Portal Sept. 6th (Saturday, Sunday) to
      > Yosemite - wing it. It is legal to hitchhike in California
      > still . . ???.

      Technically not legal but everyone hitches along 395. CHP doesn't
      hassle you they have better things to do.
    • John Karpinski
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 10, 2008
        H,
        Though it is good practice, I don't think barbless hooks are required in the upper
        tributaries of the Kern, Kings San Joaquin and Tuolumne Rivers that are along the JMT.
        The California Freshwater Fishing Regs have always been an adventure in understanding,
        but I guess it is a very complex state in terms of the water resources.
        Download the pdf file at: http://www.dfg.ca.gov/regulations/
        Click on the 2008/09 Freshwater Regs.

        I have rarely run across a backcountry ranger in the Sierras in all my years of hiking so I
        can't speak to that. I've always tried to legal because I feel the regs are fair and are there
        to maintain the quality of the wilderness experience.