Conclusions on Transportation, Backcountry Ranger Authority and fishing.

  • e1705email
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 9, 2008
      Thank you all who posted regarding best ways to get to and from the
      trailheads. My personal plan has firmed up and thought to pass it along
      in case it was of use for anyone.

      Leave Hawaii Aug 4 to Oakland (best price). Quick trip to REI, then use
      youth hostel in downtown SF the night of Aug 4 (Monday). Get up early
      and catch the AMtrak combination of buses and trains all the way to
      Yosemite. Their timetable says depart Embarcadero Ferry Building
      7:05AM, arrive Yosemite 1:20PM on Tuesday Aug 5th. Spend the night at
      backpacker's campground, pick up permit Aug 6 (Wed) AM and go.

      Return trip from Whiney Portal Sept. 6th (Saturday, Sunday) to
      Yosemite - wing it. It is legal to hitchhike in California
      still . . ???.

      Amtrak has 3 times for leaving Yosemite on Sept 8th. (Monday)
      10:00AM, 4:15PM, or 5:55PM. Spend the night in SF at youth hostel. BART
      to Oakland airport by 2PM and fly home on Tuesday, September 9th, 2008.

      Question: What authority do backcountry rangers have? I would guess
      they can check permits, bear canister and fishing license. They will
      probably want to inspect fishing hook being used to make sure they are
      barbless. But they don't have the right to go through your pack
      entirely do they? For example, if you got on the bad side of one, how
      far could they legally go? Can you be detained for any reason and held
      for the police? Also, are they always in uniform or can they look like
      any regular hiker. Are they carrying firearms? These may seem like
      unusual questions, and I do not expect any problems. But, when problems
      come, I find being prepared, knowing your rights and the law is better
      than not.

      And this is a minor point, but I was planning on crushing the barbs on
      any lure I was using, but leaving the barbs uncrushed on flies and
      lures in the 'tackle box' until actually using them. Is this a problem,
      or do all hooks in your possession (not just the ones in use) have to
      be barbless? I was thinking 'why bother crushing them all, since any
      unused ones can be used with their barbs intact elsewhere after the
      trip?'. Anyone know about this? Maybe it is a small issue and all barbs
      of all hooks taken on the trip should be precrushed.

      So far, any interaction with yosemite employees has been very positive,
      as is usually the case with government authorities. But there have been
      some real doozey (sp?)of exceptions.

      Thank you,

    • Frank Martin
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 10, 2008
        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "e1705email" <df@...> wrote:

        > Thank you all who posted regarding best ways to get to and from the
        > trailheads. My personal plan has firmed up and thought to pass it along
        > in case it was of use for anyone.
        >
        > Leave Hawaii Aug 4 to Oakland (best price). Quick trip to REI, then use
        > youth hostel in downtown SF the night of Aug 4 (Monday). Get up early
        > and catch the AMtrak combination of buses and trains all the way to
        > Yosemite. Their timetable says depart Embarcadero Ferry Building
        > 7:05AM, arrive Yosemite 1:20PM on Tuesday Aug 5th. Spend the night at
        > backpacker's campground, pick up permit Aug 6 (Wed) AM and go.

        You might want to pick up your permit on Tuesday afternoon. get an
        early start on Wednesday. technically to stay in the BP Campground
        you are supposed to have a permit in possession but really doesn't
        matter too much

        > Return trip from Whiney Portal Sept. 6th (Saturday, Sunday) to
        > Yosemite - wing it. It is legal to hitchhike in California
        > still . . ???.

        Technically not legal but everyone hitches along 395. CHP doesn't
        hassle you they have better things to do.
      • John Karpinski
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 10, 2008
          H,
          Though it is good practice, I don't think barbless hooks are required in the upper
          tributaries of the Kern, Kings San Joaquin and Tuolumne Rivers that are along the JMT.
          The California Freshwater Fishing Regs have always been an adventure in understanding,
          but I guess it is a very complex state in terms of the water resources.
          Download the pdf file at: http://www.dfg.ca.gov/regulations/
          Click on the 2008/09 Freshwater Regs.

          I have rarely run across a backcountry ranger in the Sierras in all my years of hiking so I
          can't speak to that. I've always tried to legal because I feel the regs are fair and are there
          to maintain the quality of the wilderness experience.