Re: [John Muir Trail] Permit clarification please

  • Steve Schauer
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 7, 2008
      Here's some info on permits:http://www.johnmuirtrail.org/permits.html

      The answer is that you can get your permit from Yosemite, and go to Whitney on it. I advise that when they issue it, you make sure they give you the last night in inyo forest so you can stay at Trail Camp or Outpost Camp on the way down from Whitney.You don't have to stipulate that when you get the reservation for the permit, just when you pick it up. We actually never had any ranger check our permit on the JMT, but some people were freaking out when they thought they couldn't stay at Trail Camp.

      Claire

      scottbednarz <scottbednarz@...> wrote:
      Hey guys!
      Will be attempting to get a permit soon for late Aug, and looking for
      ways to increase my chances of getting one for a specific date.
      Can I thru-hike to Whitney with a permit from Happy Isles to Yosemite
      Valley if I stay in the YV backpacker's camp the first night? Will
      there be any trouble getting a Whitney stamp?
      Finally--best chances of success calling, e-mail, or snail-mail for a
      permit?
      Thanks in advance,
      Scott