Re: [John Muir Trail] Getting to and from the trail - from SF

  • Fred Sharples
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 7, 2008
      It's true that the train leaves from near Oakland but there is a bus that
      will pick you up in several places in San Francisco and drop you off at the
      Emeryville (near Oakland) station. You can see the stops on the web site
      when you schedule your departure from SF. It's a short ride across the bay
      to get to the station.
      I suggest using the embarcadero bus stop.

      To get to one of these stops from the airport or another part of town, you
      would take a train/subway called BART.
      BART is also the cheapest way to get to downtown San Francisco from the
      airport.

      Believe me the hike is a lot more complicated than getting there.
      Let me know if you want more info.
      Fred
      On Thu, Mar 6, 2008 at 6:59 PM, reperes_pleinair <mauger53@...> wrote:

      > Thanks Fred and Bob for the excellent detailed info.
      >
      > It seems indeed more logical to fly to Reno (I had to first check the
      > map!) but 2 problems :
      > 1. I want to use my Air Canada Aeroplan points for a free flight. Air
      > Canada has a flight to Reno but is not available to Aeroplan members!!
      > So, SF is the other option.
      >
      > 2. I plan to land on a Saturday, but if I choose Reno, I will have to
      > wait until Monday noon to get the CREST buses!
      >
      > I have checked the Amtrak schedule from SF, and as I understand, the
      > train leaves from Oakland ? Right ? We must take a bus to get to the
      > train station ? But the map does not show any bus stop from the
      > airport !!! And then I need to find a hotel near the bus stop !
      >
      > Seems more complex to get to the trail than to hike it :-)
      >

      > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com <johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com>,
      > "Fred Sharples" <fred@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi there.
      > > Bob is right that Reno is a better choice for the trail. However, If you
      > > need to go to San Francisco, I recommend taking the train. It costs
      > around
      > > $44-$48 US each way. It's quite pleasant. It takes about 6 hours.
      > > I live in San Francisco and found it to be a relaxing and efficient
      > way to
      > > get to the trailhead for my JMT last year.
      > >
      > > They pick up in several places in downtown San Francisco.
      > >
      > > As far as getting back to San Francisco, Bob Bankhead's instructions are
      > > excellent. You can use his directions to back to Yosemite and then onto
      > > Amtrack.
      > >
      > > For the schedule, go to amtrack.com.
      > >
      > > Have a great trip.
      > > Fred
      > > *http://fredsharples.com/jmt.html* <http://fredsharples.com/>

      Orange Design Inc.
      Games - Tech - Art
      2601 Mission Street #800
      San Francisco, CA 94110
      415.643.4465 - Studio
      415.722.6442 - Mobile
      http://orangedesign.com

    • reperes_pleinair
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 8, 2008

        > Believe me the hike is a lot more complicated than getting there.
        > Let me know if you want more info.
        > Fred

        Thanks Fred. Don't worry, I know it is. Only kidding!

        So, I will land in SF on Saturday, take Amtrak on Sunday to Merced,
        Yarts on Monday, pickup my permit and starts the hike on Tuesday. This
        give us plenty of time for any delays, last minute shopping, relax,
        dinner and wine, etc...
        I had not noticed that there was no Yart service on weekends... Thanks

        This thing being solved, I will now concentrate on equipment, food,
        resupply and training...

        Michel
        from Montréal under the snow!!