RE: [John Muir Trail] To stake or not to stake

  • Joe MacLeish
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 1 5:52 PM

      My tent requires stakes so I staked every night.  The only place I couldn’t stake was at Guitar lake and there I place a rock on top of the stake.  So if you want them you can use them almost everywhere.

      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 1 8:13 PM
        You say your tent "wouldn't go walkies" when set up. So what keeps it from doing the walkies in 40+ winds? I would take stakes. I've never found a camp site on the JMT where I couldn't use stakes. Admittedly there have been a few times when I've had to use a handy rock to supplement a less than secure stake. Like all campsites where ever you try to put in a stake you'll hit a rock. That's why I prefer very thin stakes they seem to find their way around underground rocks much more so than a heavy stakes but my experience seems to be different than another poster. I would recommend carrying an extra stake also--if you do you'll probably not need it. If you don't I guarantee you will. Think about painting the upper area of your stakes with hi-viz paint--make them much easier to find when someone trips over one and it goes flying into the bush.

        Don