Help Identifying Peaks

  • John Cusick
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 1, 2011
    Christi and I finished our first JMT August 22nd (great trip, great people -- hello again Ed, Judy, and Robert P.) and will be posting a link to our blog with narrative and photos soon (and, yes, Roleigh, I'll write up something on the "Illouette option" for those who may wish to consider that in the future).

    Meanwhile, can someone out there help me identify the peaks in the distance in this photograph?   The photo was taken as we proceeded up Sunrise Mtn looking East Southeast across the Merced River valley.

    Thanks much.

    John Cusick
  • hmdsierra
    Message 2 of 9 , Sep 1, 2011
      That is the Clark Range south of Glacier Point. My sond and I once made a trip through that area. Entered Mono Ck and over Red Peak Pass, good view of the west side of The Minarets, then followed the Merced down to HI with a side trip to Half Dome.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, John Cusick <john@...> wrote:

      > Christi and I finished our first JMT August 22nd (great trip, great
      > people -- hello again Ed, Judy, and Robert P.) and will be posting a
      > link to our blog with narrative and photos soon (and, yes, Roleigh, I'll
      > write up something on the "Illouette option" for those who may wish to
      > consider that in the future).
      >
      > Meanwhile, can someone out there help me identify the peaks in the
      > distance in this photograph? The photo was taken as we proceeded up
      > Sunrise Mtn looking East Southeast across the Merced River valley.
      >
      > Thanks much.
      >
      > John Cusick

    • Kim Fishburn
      Message 3 of 9 , Sep 1, 2011
        Its really hard to tell from this resolution. I'm guessing that you took this in Yosemite looking over the Merced River? If so the tallest peak on the right is probably Mt Clark in the Clark Range. Its a pretty prominent peak that can be seen from quite a ways away. I've even seen it from the Northern side of the Emigrant Wilderness.

        Message 4 of 9 , Sep 1, 2011
        Sorry about the resolution -- the original JPG was nearly 8 MB so I reduced it for purposes of emailing.  I don't think the prominent peak is Mt. Clark, as Clark is a bit more round:

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Clark_(California)

        Yes, we were in Yosemite proceeding up Sunrise Mountain (before the descent to Sunrise Meadows, etc.   The attached photo taken immediately before it shows what I believe is Mt Starr King in the distance and included the same large granite slab on the left of the frame.

        I believe the view is more East than South and am wondering if the prominent peak could be Mt Ritter, with Donahue Pass to its left.

        ???

        John

        Message 5 of 9 , Sep 1, 2011
          I think the picture on wiki is taken from the Glacier Point Rd. The Mt you're looking at IS Mt Clark. You can also look at a picture I have of it. Its on this link at the bottom of the page. Its on the far right. I can't count how many times I've seen it so I have no doubt which peak it is. Its sometimes called the The Obelisk and in my picture you get more of that pyramid type shape of it like an Obelisk would have. For a reference, Isberg pass is on the far right. Red Peak Pass is just to the right of center but I don't think it can't be seen from this angle. If you look on the map Mt Clark is the first tall peak in the direction you'd be looking from the Sunrise area.
          http://outhiking.com/ys2.html

          Kim

          Message 6 of 9 , Sep 1, 2011
            Thanks, Kim.  Your photo certainly shows a different profile!

            John

            Message 7 of 9 , Sep 2, 2011
              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Kim Fishburn <outhiking_55@...> wrote:

              > I think the picture on wiki is taken from the Glacier Point Rd. The
              >Mt you're looking at IS Mt Clark. You can also look at a picture I
              > have of it.

              definitely Mt. Clark. Famous Chick On was up there just a few weeks ago, also starting from Glacier Pt. - trip photos:

              https://picasaweb.google.com/103089501068510688008/MtClark?gsessionid=bKKDISzn7gEaINoK06qoAw#
            • Kim Fishburn
              Message 8 of 9 , Sep 2, 2011
                I love those pictures!

                > I think the picture on wiki is taken from the Glacier Point Rd. The
                >Mt you're looking at IS Mt Clark. You can also look at a picture I
                > have of it.

                definitely Mt. Clark. Famous Chick On was up there just a few weeks ago, also starting from Glacier Pt. - trip photos:

                https://picasaweb.google.com/103089501068510688008/MtClark?gsessionid=bKKDISzn7gEaINoK06qoAw#

              • John
                Message 9 of 9 , Sep 3, 2011
                  Hi John

                  As others have mentioned; Mt Clark. Here is a shot from very near the same location  Mt Clark  Albeit with a somewhat longer lens!

                  I've been staring at that peak for the last six days!

                  JD
                  www.johndittli.com