Re: Finished 18 day NOBO trip

  • Robert
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 1, 2011
      The other guy hiking with me was Brian 'Phreak'. He was wearing black running shorts and probably a green marmot windshirt for the bugs. Next to Wallace Creek, that section was the worst for mozzies. I do remember seeing three people coming down from Dollar Lake, but I was pretty wore out that evening and was focused on getting to at least Dollar Lake. We ended up at Arrowhead, but should of pushed on to Rae because Arrowhead was pretty swampy along the shore. That slog down Woods Creek canyon that afternoon kicked my butt! That was probably us that afternoon. It would have been Aug. 18th, and we left Woods Creek crossing around 5:15 PM.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "jwrenonv" <jmw2800@...> wrote:

      > I didn't think about it at the time but later that night I wondered if I met you or someone in your group a few miles south of Woods creek. I talked a little about getting down to Woods Creek to set up for heading up Pinchot Pass the next day. The person I was talking to said something about doing 2 passes a day and setting up for a 3rd. That sounded about right for your fast schedule. I believe that would have been about 6 PM or so on the 18th. One of our worst bug attacks was right at a creek crossing right before the stock gate heading to the camp near Woods Creek.
      >
      > I haven't even pulled up the pictures from the camera since I had to deal with deferred yard care when I got home yesterday. I will put together a day by day photo journal on my site to go along with my trips over the last 18 years.
      >
      > Jeff
      >
      > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Robert" <rnperky@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Great job on finishing the JMT! I looked for you around Pinchot Pass, and even asked a few folks that I thought might have been you, ( got a few funny looks ), but still missed you guys. Are you doing a Trailjournals or a day by day breakdown? I am curious where we passed each other by. One of these days I will have to do a night at MTR, it sounds nice. I will pass on staying at VVR, but would like to try those hot springs at MTR! It was funny how 'put-off' people would become when you asked if they were JMT Yahoo folks. I got some dirty looks. I think they must of thought I was calling them Yahoos or something, which some of them were! Good job, Robert.

    • jwrenonv
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 1, 2011
        I must have spoken with Brian. The description and time fits.
        The last 2 days in Yosemite from Lyle Forks to the valley where the
        only 2 days we went without DEET. The area around Clouds Rest was
        the driest of the trip. We didn't see any mozzies until the pavement walkway
        near Happy Isles.

        Jeff