Re: [John Muir Trail] To stake or not to stake

  • Srirama Dronamraju
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 1, 2011
      I bought the titanium stakes at REI - light and sturdy!  You need to stake your tent for two reasons - keeping the rain fly taught so that you dont drown in condensing dew on some days, rain on some other days.  I could stake my tent even on the hard ground at Guitar lake last week.  So keep em. My 2 cents!
      Krishna

      On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 1:58 PM, kennethjessett@... <kennethjessett@...> wrote:

      While I was sawing the end off my toothbrush this morning to make it lighter (just kidding) I wondered if I really needed the tent stakes, what is the consensus? Is it all granite and you couldn't drive a stake in anyway? My tent is fairly well mannered and wouldn't go walkies anyway once it's set up, but what kind of ground are we talking about? I know the web site says not to tent on vegetation, so is there soft ground to take the stakes?

    • Kim Fishburn
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 1, 2011
        What are you going to do if the winds are 40 mph or more? I've been out before when it was really windy and everyone was huddled up behind whatever wind block they could find. I was stuck out in the open but luckily had my Stephenson tent, which does great in the wind. I was the only one that got any sleep that night. I've almost always been able to find a place to stake my tent out although I sometimes had to move the tent a bit.

        I read once in Backpacker about some people rafting the Grand Canyon and they had their baby in the tent with no stakes. Shortly after they had taken the baby out of the tent it blew into the river with their sleeping bags etc.

        Kim

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 1, 2011
          I take at least one (usually 2-3) very tough tentstakes and then some lightweight minimalist ones.  In hard ground, the sturdy tentstake(s) will make the hole and can be replaced with the lightweight ones after the hole is created.

          The lightweight ones, if that's all you have, tend to bet bent out of shape in hard ground, especially if you need to use a rock to pound them in..

          I take one more stake than the number my tent accommodates since they seem to get lost easily.  I like having one tent stake in each available location in the wind because it keeps the tent quiet on a windy night.  If it's not very windy, I may not use them all.  But for the extra weight of an ultralight stake, it's nice to have plenty of stakes.  Also occasionally allows you to use a campsite that you might avoid for the lack of the right stakes.

          I like these for the lightweight stakes, though they will bend if you try to pound them into hard ground.

          http://www.rei.com/product/709915

          Good heavier stakes

          http://www.rei.com/product/709914

          A slightly different design sometimes works better -- holds better in softer ground.

          http://www.rei.com/product/794293

          I admit that it sounds excessive but a combination of 1-2 each of the heavier stakes and maybe 4 of the lightest ones gives a lot of ability to handle different soil (and wind) conditions.

          On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 11:58 AM, kennethjessett@... <kennethjessett@...> wrote:

          While I was sawing the end off my toothbrush this morning to make it lighter (just kidding) I wondered if I really needed the tent stakes, what is the consensus? Is it all granite and you couldn't drive a stake in anyway? My tent is fairly well mannered and wouldn't go walkies anyway once it's set up, but what kind of ground are we talking about? I know the web site says not to tent on vegetation, so is there soft ground to take the stakes?

        • Joe MacLeish
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 1, 2011

            My tent requires stakes so I staked every night.  The only place I couldn’t stake was at Guitar lake and there I place a rock on top of the stake.  So if you want them you can use them almost everywhere.

            While I was sawing the end off my toothbrush this morning to make it lighter (just kidding) I wondered if I really needed the tent stakes, what is the consensus? Is it all granite and you couldn't drive a stake in anyway? My tent is fairly well mannered and wouldn't go walkies anyway once it's set up, but what kind of ground are we talking about? I know the web site says not to tent on vegetation, so is there soft ground to take the stakes?

          • Don
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 1, 2011
              You say your tent "wouldn't go walkies" when set up. So what keeps it from doing the walkies in 40+ winds? I would take stakes. I've never found a camp site on the JMT where I couldn't use stakes. Admittedly there have been a few times when I've had to use a handy rock to supplement a less than secure stake. Like all campsites where ever you try to put in a stake you'll hit a rock. That's why I prefer very thin stakes they seem to find their way around underground rocks much more so than a heavy stakes but my experience seems to be different than another poster. I would recommend carrying an extra stake also--if you do you'll probably not need it. If you don't I guarantee you will. Think about painting the upper area of your stakes with hi-viz paint--make them much easier to find when someone trips over one and it goes flying into the bush.

              Don