Off the trail

  • roadndirt
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2011
      Well, I'm reluctantly back home. I started on August 22nd from Glacier Point. I had a friend with me until Tuolumne Meadows and then picked up another set of friends from Red's Meadow to Duck Pass. Loved the amazing little community of people out on the trail. Saw a mom bear and her cub cruise through our camp at Sunrise Creek just past the Half Dome trail. She didn't pay much attention to us but about an hour earlier had charged at a couple of guys camping fairly close to us. They held their ground and she finally retreated.

      On my way down from Silver Pass I landed wrong on my foot and started having shooting pain in my ankle/upper foot with each step downhill. I camped at Mono Creek that night and barely slept because I was stressing about whether to continue or bail. My decision was made when I got on the ferry to VVR and met a couple who where coming off trail and had a car. They were nice enough to offer me a ride to the Fresno train station. I decided that this was the wise thing to do and here I sit wondering 'what if'! It was a long train ride home with lots of time to think about my decision. While at the acupuncturist yesterday I was finally convinced that I did the right thing. I have a mild ankle sprain that would have, more than likely, gotten way worse had I continued on. So, I'm resting, icing, compressing and elevating and will hopefully be able to go back up Kearsarge on 9/8 to finish the last part of the trail. I'm already making plans for next summer to finish the section I missed. I had an amazing time,saw so many incredible sights, and met so many outstanding people. I'm not through with you yet JMT....I'll be back!!!!
      Once again, thanks to everyone here on this Yahoo group. You have all been so helpful! Happy Trails to you all!

      Heather
      P.S. Only met Bill from this group on the trail and Scott as I was leaving VVR.
    • targetdoggmechanic
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 1, 2011
        Sounds like you did the right thing. Nothing worse than trying to tough it out and then have to put others lives and well being in jeapardy while an injury gets aggrevated and SAR is necessary. Even if it didnt get aggrevated, it isnt fun hiking with even a mild injury. The trail will always be there, and now you have an excuse to hike it thru or in sections again!

        I bailed on my first JMT after 60 miles and glad I did. I learned a lot then and each year I've done it since.