Finished 18 day NOBO trip

  • jwrenonv
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 31 9:51 PM
      We made it to our car in Curry Village about 6PM last night and hit up the showers. We ate a couple of pizzas and drove back to Horseshoe Meadows to pick up the other car. We slept about 5 hours in the cars after getting back to the other car at 1 AM. We drove home this morning to Reno.

      It took us 18 days to go from Horseshoe Meadows to Happy Isles. We did a 15 mile day hike to the top of Whitney on the 3rd day. It was a lovely sunny and fairly calm day. The last day we went from Cathedral Lakes to Clouds Rest to the Valley. We had to cool our feet in the Merced near Little Yosemite Valley and change our socks before we could finish the trip down the Mist Trail. We had to endure a lot of downhill on the last day. If you ever have a chance to get to Clouds Rest it is well worth the trip. It is one of the best views in Yosemite.

      It was my son's birthday when we got to Muir Trail Ranch and they had some room so my credit card is $465 lighter. Had a great time visiting with others, eating all you can eat great food and did laundry and used one of the private hot springs. It was a nice break after 10 full days on the trail.

      I was amazed at the amount of snow and flowing water at the top of Muir pass. This is my 3rd time over it and it was much different than on a normal year. We went from Deer Meadows to Wanda Lake that day and were wiped out. The only other hard pass day was from Bear Creek to the small tarn on the north side of Silver pass. The section near the Mott Creek cascades is a killer going uphill after a long day. Mather pass was a bit of a mess on the north side with so many people creating short cuts up or down the steep talus whenever the switch backs ran into snow. I suspect that trail maintenance will be required next season to clean up these unoffical short cuts.

      We had great weather and it only rained and hailed hard once near the Duck pass intersection. The bugs were bad whenever we were in a place with meadows in the name. We used DEET on most days so we got hike with exposed skin to avoid over heating. We avoided the worst bugs by going hitting the tent by about 6:30 each night. We slept more than 10 hours every night which leads to a fantastic amount of REM time.

      The snow was almost completely gone by the time we reached Donahue but the water flow near the top of the pass and on the north side going done was a pain in the but. My wife had to put the crocks on at the water crossing near the high tarn and we all had to take of the boots at the lower crossing. It was about thigh deep.

      We brought about 40 pounds of food for 3 people to last from Horseshoe Meadows to MTR and ended up with about 5 pounds more than needed. We reduced some of our food excess when we resupplied at MTR and Red's Meadows. We had a total of 6 hot meals in 18 days. (2 at MTR, 2 at Red's, 1 at the TM cafe and 1 at the trips end)

      We did a bear can clothes wash about every 3 days and used a washing machine at MTR and Red's Meadows. We would to do a bear can body wash down every night but 2 when the bugs made it impossible. We sleep so much better after washing the DEET, sun protection lotion and sweat off.

      I brought a MSR mini works filter and a classic Steripen for backup. I screwed up the MSR when I forgot to remove the O-ring with cleaning the filter in a fast flowing stream on the 2nd day. I lost the O-ring and the filter was now longer functional since I didn't have a spare. We fell back to using the Steripen. It did pretty well but it is an older version that sometimes would fail to detect immersion if the water was too pure.

      Our bodies and feet held up well. I got one blister on the day at MTR when I walked around in my boots while my socks were in the washing machine. I recently started hiking in 13 wide boots and the extra room at the toes really helped my feet. Bug bits were the biggest issue but it really wasn't enough to take the fun out of the trip.

      We saw a bunch of south bound JMT hikers but the ages of the groups increased at we got closer to the end of August. I think we met about 12 NOBO bound JMT hikers in 18days.

      I am very fortunate to have enjoyed the trip with the company of my wife and oldest son. This was their 1st full JMT hike and they really had a good time. We planned to do about 12 miles a day but did put in a 20, 17, 16 and 15 mile day later in the trip. We also did a 4 mile day when we ended up staying at MTR. We had great group cooperation and became very efficient in our camp routines. I am looking forward to doing many more trips with them.

      Jeff
    • Robert
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 31 10:25 PM
        Great job on finishing the JMT! I looked for you around Pinchot Pass, and even asked a few folks that I thought might have been you, ( got a few funny looks ), but still missed you guys. Are you doing a Trailjournals or a day by day breakdown? I am curious where we passed each other by. One of these days I will have to do a night at MTR, it sounds nice. I will pass on staying at VVR, but would like to try those hot springs at MTR! It was funny how 'put-off' people would become when you asked if they were JMT Yahoo folks. I got some dirty looks. I think they must of thought I was calling them Yahoos or something, which some of them were! Good job, Robert.

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "jwrenonv" <jmw2800@...> wrote:

> [...]
        >
        > We saw a bunch of south bound JMT hikers but the ages of the groups increased at we got closer to the end of August. I think we met about 12 NOBO bound JMT hikers in 18days.
        >
        > I am very fortunate to have enjoyed the trip with the company of my wife and oldest son. This was their 1st full JMT hike and they really had a good time. We planned to do about 12 miles a day but did put in a 20, 17, 16 and 15 mile day later in the trip. We also did a 4 mile day when we ended up staying at MTR. We had great group cooperation and became very efficient in our camp routines. I am looking forward to doing many more trips with them.

      • jwrenonv
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 1, 2011
          I didn't think about it at the time but later that night I wondered if I met you or someone in your group a few miles south of Woods creek. I talked a little about getting down to Woods Creek to set up for heading up Pinchot Pass the next day. The person I was talking to said something about doing 2 passes a day and setting up for a 3rd. That sounded about right for your fast schedule. I believe that would have been about 6 PM or so on the 18th. One of our worst bug attacks was right at a creek crossing right before the stock gate heading to the camp near Woods Creek.

          I haven't even pulled up the pictures from the camera since I had to deal with deferred yard care when I got home yesterday. I will put together a day by day photo journal on my site to go along with my trips over the last 18 years.

          Jeff

          > Great job on finishing the JMT! I looked for you around Pinchot Pass, and even asked a few folks that I thought might have been you, ( got a few funny looks ), but still missed you guys. Are you doing a Trailjournals or a day by day breakdown? I am curious where we passed each other by. One of these days I will have to do a night at MTR, it sounds nice. I will pass on staying at VVR, but would like to try those hot springs at MTR! It was funny how 'put-off' people would become when you asked if they were JMT Yahoo folks. I got some dirty looks. I think they must of thought I was calling them Yahoos or something, which some of them were! Good job, Robert.
        • Ed Rodriguez
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 1, 2011
            Congrats Jeff, I hope this brought your family more together. It nice to hear family going out to do his trek together.

            Ed

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 1, 2011
              The other guy hiking with me was Brian 'Phreak'. He was wearing black running shorts and probably a green marmot windshirt for the bugs. Next to Wallace Creek, that section was the worst for mozzies. I do remember seeing three people coming down from Dollar Lake, but I was pretty wore out that evening and was focused on getting to at least Dollar Lake. We ended up at Arrowhead, but should of pushed on to Rae because Arrowhead was pretty swampy along the shore. That slog down Woods Creek canyon that afternoon kicked my butt! That was probably us that afternoon. It would have been Aug. 18th, and we left Woods Creek crossing around 5:15 PM.

              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 1, 2011
                I must have spoken with Brian. The description and time fits.
                The last 2 days in Yosemite from Lyle Forks to the valley where the
                only 2 days we went without DEET. The area around Clouds Rest was
                the driest of the trip. We didn't see any mozzies until the pavement walkway
                near Happy Isles.

                Jeff