Re: Just finished the trail...

  • Aaron
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 31, 2011
      Hi John,

      My fatal flaw, and I should have known better, was not using the pack with a full on JMT-style load beforehand. I used it for several 2-3 day trips with lighter loads (22lbs) with no problems. The extra 15-20 lbs made all the difference. Although the pad was thick and comfortable at first, after a few days it felt like a brick digging into my lower back.

      It was not an easy decision to turn back but I knew I'd be miserable had I kept on. Another day and my back would have started bleeding. The thought of not being able to carry my pack and being miles into the wilderness concerned me a bit!

      The REI Flash 65 performed extremely well with a 35lb load over the next 12 days. The padding on the hipbelt isn't nearly as thick as the Gregory (Its nearly a full pound lighter for it) but it was completely adequate. For a fairly inexpensive pack, I was very happy with it. I never had any issues with the hipbelt, straps, or any chafing at all.

      All that being said, I've learned over the years that backpacks, like footwear, are very personal. With so many variables to our physiology, you really need to try lots of brands and styles to find what works specifically for you. All part of the fun I guess!