Permit clarification please

  • scottbednarz
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 6, 2008
      Hey guys!
      Will be attempting to get a permit soon for late Aug, and looking for
      ways to increase my chances of getting one for a specific date.
      Can I thru-hike to Whitney with a permit from Happy Isles to Yosemite
      Valley if I stay in the YV backpacker's camp the first night? Will
      there be any trouble getting a Whitney stamp?
      Finally--best chances of success calling, e-mail, or snail-mail for a
      permit?
      Thanks in advance,
      Scott
    • Fred Sharples
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 6, 2008
        Hi there.
        The backpacker's camp is for one night and for anyone that has a
        backcountry permit for the day after you stay there. It is relatively close
        to the trail head at Happy Isles. Both Happy Isles trailhead and the
        backpacker's camp are in Yosemite valley.
        You don't need a Whitney stamp anymore. When you get a permit, it's one
        permit for the whole hike, with some dates as to when you should
        theoretically arrive in the parks along the way.

        I would call for your best chances to get a permit. My theory is that it's
        easier to reject a letter or an email.
        Also, they'll work with you on a specific date if any are available. One
        more thing, have your trip planned as far as when you'll likely arrive at
        the different National parks along the way. They'll need that info.

        One way to help increase your chances for a permit is to let them know you
        will not stay in Little Yosemite Valley the first night. (You shouldn't stay
        there anyway as it's only 3-4hrs in). The rangers will need to hear this.
        Another way is to plan your departure for a weekday and not a
        Friday/Saturday departure.

        If you can't get a permit ahead of time, go to the backcountry ranger
        station in Yosemite Valley and get one there when you arrive for your trip.
        Check their hours, arrive at least 1.5 hours before they open and be
        flexible. You'll get something that day or worst case, the next day.

        Good luck!

        --
        Orange Design Inc.
        Games - Tech - Art

      • Scott Bednarz
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 7, 2008
          Thanks Fred,

          Great reply. Your responses have provided me and others a very valuable service. I appreciate it.
          Happy trails,
          Scott

          --
          Orange Design Inc.