RE: [John Muir Trail] Ready to Go!

  • Jean Dickinson
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 29, 2011
      I am so happy for you. It's great to know you are out there doing this adventure. You've picked the perfect time to cross passes and rivers and to enjoy many moments of solitude on the trail. You're prepared and will use your collective wisdom when it comes to figuring out an unknown. I hope you give us a detailed trip report on your return. I am 68 and have done almost all of the JMT in segments over the years, much of it solo, but not recently. My plan is to get on the trail again next summer and have gradually been buying lightweight gear. I find your description of the past year inspiring. You will have a wonderful time!
      Jean

      To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
      From: iamwhimpie@...
      Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 20:03:48 +0000
      Subject: [John Muir Trail] Ready to Go!

      This trip has taken a life time of dreaming and a year of planning, but it has finally arrived. Two friends and I will be, ever so gently, hitting the trail at Tuolumne Meadows to begin our SoBo hike of the JMT on September 1st. We hiked the HI to Tuolumne section in mid July so that we could spend some time on Half Dome and Cloud's Rest. We plan on taking our time, averaging ten miles a day. Our husbands will be staying at home, proudly scratching their heads while waiting on our Spot signal and wondering what forces could propel three women in the sixties to take on such an adventure. I've been asked that question enough times but can't provide an adequate answer. What pulls a person, man or women, to the mountains? What ever that motivation is...you either feel or you don't. We have dehydrated our own food, lost a total of 35 pounds, and logged countless miles over snow and mountains in preparation. Our packs will be heavy at about 25 pounds each...you know...pack weight proportunate to fear. My thoughts right now are that we will take our time early in the trip, maybe only hiking 8 to 10 mile days and eventually (hopefully) we will be strong enough to pick up our pace a little. We are mentally and physically prepared but truthfully a little afraid...do I dare admit that? If you are hiking the JMT between September 1st and 23rd, watch for us and be sure to stop and chat. You won't have any trouble recognizing us since we wear those bright pink or purple shade hats. You can see us coming a mile away and the hats are great for search and rescue also. See you out there and be safe!

      Whimpie (pink)