Re: Getting to and from the trail

  • dh5169
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 6 8:59 AM
      Scott,
      Yes, I know you can get Greyhound from Sacramento and I seem to
      recall on the other end it was a local bus from Ridgecrest to Barstow
      (?)and then Greyhound to Las Vegas - you just have to get the timing
      down right on both ends. (I think the Crest site shows all the
      possible connections - I think you can also go to LA from there).

      That being said, you should also consider Reno as an alternative -
      there is plenty of info out here on how to get from Reno (Crest Bus)
      and then into Yosemite (Yarts) and from Lone Pine back to Reno
      (Crest, again) and the overnights that this route will require.

      Getting back to the Sacramento option (I am speaking off the top of
      my head on this). Take the local bus from the airport to the
      Greyhound station; Greyhound (I think there were 3 afternoon/evening
      buses)to Merced (overnight there - Vagabond Inn was clean and cheap
      and it's a short walk to the Yarts station); and Yarts to Yosemite.

      Alternative is to overnight in Sacramento and take Amtrak which
      connects in Merced to the Yarts Bus (Amtrak ticket includes Yarts
      bus I think).

      If you want more info or want to meet up - I work in Harrisburg,
      send me email direct.

      Doug

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "scottasinner"