Re: [John Muir Trail] Getting to and from the trail - from SF

  • Fred Sharples
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 5, 2008
      Hi there.
      Bob is right that Reno is a better choice for the trail. However, If you
      need to go to San Francisco, I recommend taking the train. It costs around
      $44-$48 US each way. It's quite pleasant. It takes about 6 hours.
      I live in San Francisco and found it to be a relaxing and efficient way to
      get to the trailhead for my JMT last year.

      They pick up in several places in downtown San Francisco.

      As far as getting back to San Francisco, Bob Bankhead's instructions are
      excellent. You can use his directions to back to Yosemite and then onto
      Amtrack.

      For the schedule, go to amtrack.com.

      Have a great trip.
      Fred
      *http://fredsharples.com/jmt.html* <http://fredsharples.com/>

    • reperes_pleinair
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 6, 2008
        Thanks Fred and Bob for the excellent detailed info.

        It seems indeed more logical to fly to Reno (I had to first check the
        map!) but 2 problems :
        1. I want to use my Air Canada Aeroplan points for a free flight. Air
        Canada has a flight to Reno but is not available to Aeroplan members!!
        So, SF is the other option.

        2. I plan to land on a Saturday, but if I choose Reno, I will have to
        wait until Monday noon to get the CREST buses!

        I have checked the Amtrak schedule from SF, and as I understand, the
        train leaves from Oakland ? Right ? We must take a bus to get to the
        train station ? But the map does not show any bus stop from the
        airport !!! And then I need to find a hotel near the bus stop !

        Seems more complex to get to the trail than to hike it :-)

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Fred Sharples" <fred@...> wrote:

        > Hi there.
        > Bob is right that Reno is a better choice for the trail. However, If you
        > need to go to San Francisco, I recommend taking the train. It costs
        around
        > $44-$48 US each way. It's quite pleasant. It takes about 6 hours.
        > I live in San Francisco and found it to be a relaxing and efficient
        way to
        > get to the trailhead for my JMT last year.
        >
        > They pick up in several places in downtown San Francisco.
        >
        > As far as getting back to San Francisco, Bob Bankhead's instructions are
        > excellent. You can use his directions to back to Yosemite and then onto
        > Amtrack.
        >
        > For the schedule, go to amtrack.com.
        >
        > Have a great trip.
        > Fred
        > *http://fredsharples.com/jmt.html* <http://fredsharples.com/>

      • Frank Martin
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 7, 2008
          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "reperes_pleinair"
          <mauger53@...> wrote:

          > Thanks Fred and Bob for the excellent detailed info.
          >
          > It seems indeed more logical to fly to Reno (I had to first check the
          > map!) but 2 problems :
          > 1. I want to use my Air Canada Aeroplan points for a free flight. Air
          > Canada has a flight to Reno but is not available to Aeroplan members!!
          > So, SF is the other option.
          >
          > 2. I plan to land on a Saturday, but if I choose Reno, I will have to
          > wait until Monday noon to get the CREST buses!
          >
          > I have checked the Amtrak schedule from SF, and as I understand, the
          > train leaves from Oakland ? Right ? We must take a bus to get to the
          > train station ? But the map does not show any bus stop from the
          > airport !!! And then I need to find a hotel near the bus stop !
          >
          > Seems more complex to get to the trail than to hike it :-)

          It is not really that hard.

          Depending on what time you arrive in San Francisco. The option of
          staying a night in SF or Oakland/Emmeryville and catching a train the
          next day or proceeding to the bus and taking the train the same day
          and perhaps spending the night in a motel in Merced.

          Take Bart from SFO to downtown SF. Either stay in a motel/hotel in SF
          or go to the Amtrak bus stop in SF which will take you to the Amtrack
          Station either in Emmeryville or Jack London Square.

          Take a San Joaquin train to Merced and from there connect to Yarts.
          which will take you to Yosemite.

          Yarts does not run on weekends either. So you might consider landing
          on a different day.

          Then it depends on where you intend to start the trail. In either
          case you will have to p/u your permit.

          If you are starting at TM you might want to get off Yarts at Crane
          Flat and hitch-hike up to TM.

          If starting in the Va.lley take yarts to the Valley.

          I would just plan on landing on a Sunday and that would make life easier.

          frank
        • Fred Sharples
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 7, 2008
            It's true that the train leaves from near Oakland but there is a bus that
            will pick you up in several places in San Francisco and drop you off at the
            Emeryville (near Oakland) station. You can see the stops on the web site
            when you schedule your departure from SF. It's a short ride across the bay
            to get to the station.
            I suggest using the embarcadero bus stop.

            To get to one of these stops from the airport or another part of town, you
            would take a train/subway called BART.
            BART is also the cheapest way to get to downtown San Francisco from the
            airport.

            Believe me the hike is a lot more complicated than getting there.
            Let me know if you want more info.
            Fred
            On Thu, Mar 6, 2008 at 6:59 PM, reperes_pleinair <mauger53@...> wrote:

            > Thanks Fred and Bob for the excellent detailed info.
            >
            > It seems indeed more logical to fly to Reno (I had to first check the
            > map!) but 2 problems :
            > 1. I want to use my Air Canada Aeroplan points for a free flight. Air
            > Canada has a flight to Reno but is not available to Aeroplan members!!
            > So, SF is the other option.
            >
            > 2. I plan to land on a Saturday, but if I choose Reno, I will have to
            > wait until Monday noon to get the CREST buses!
            >
            > I have checked the Amtrak schedule from SF, and as I understand, the
            > train leaves from Oakland ? Right ? We must take a bus to get to the
            > train station ? But the map does not show any bus stop from the
            > airport !!! And then I need to find a hotel near the bus stop !
            >
            > Seems more complex to get to the trail than to hike it :-)
            >

            > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com <johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com>,
            > "Fred Sharples" <fred@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi there.
            > > Bob is right that Reno is a better choice for the trail. However, If you
            > > need to go to San Francisco, I recommend taking the train. It costs
            > around
            > > $44-$48 US each way. It's quite pleasant. It takes about 6 hours.
            > > I live in San Francisco and found it to be a relaxing and efficient
            > way to
            > > get to the trailhead for my JMT last year.
            > >
            > > They pick up in several places in downtown San Francisco.
            > >
            > > As far as getting back to San Francisco, Bob Bankhead's instructions are
            > > excellent. You can use his directions to back to Yosemite and then onto
            > > Amtrack.
            > >
            > > For the schedule, go to amtrack.com.
            > >
            > > Have a great trip.
            > > Fred
            > > *http://fredsharples.com/jmt.html* <http://fredsharples.com/>

            Orange Design Inc.
            Games - Tech - Art
            2601 Mission Street #800
            San Francisco, CA 94110
            415.643.4465 - Studio
            415.722.6442 - Mobile
            http://orangedesign.com

          • reperes_pleinair
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 8, 2008

              > Believe me the hike is a lot more complicated than getting there.
              > Let me know if you want more info.
              > Fred

              Thanks Fred. Don't worry, I know it is. Only kidding!

              So, I will land in SF on Saturday, take Amtrak on Sunday to Merced,
              Yarts on Monday, pickup my permit and starts the hike on Tuesday. This
              give us plenty of time for any delays, last minute shopping, relax,
              dinner and wine, etc...
              I had not noticed that there was no Yart service on weekends... Thanks

              This thing being solved, I will now concentrate on equipment, food,
              resupply and training...

              Michel
              from Montréal under the snow!!