Water Purification

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 28 9:00 PM
      Interesting thread started at YosemiteNews forum. Their postings (like that of this group) are available through a RSS Reader. I belong to both groups so I'm not sure whether or not to get the RSS postings one has to belong or not.

      Sent to you by Roleigh Martin via Google Reader:

      Some recent interesting water treatment information from a conference I attended recently on Wilderness Medicine:

      1. best source of water in the Sierra is from the top 6-12 inches of lakes uncontaminated by lake sediment, not the fast moving part of streams because that water layer in lakes is subject to UV radiation and the fast moving part of streams may have contain spores and pathogens kicked up from deeper stream sediments disturbed by water motion
      2. water can be adequately purified, especially if it is clear and has low concentrations of pathogens by merely bringing it to a boil (even at altitude)
      3. most contaminated Sierra streams are contaminated from stock and cattle rather than from indigenous animal species
      4. there is increasing concern about fertilizer or manure nitrate contamination of watersheds and subsequent overgrowth of algae that can contaminate water with toxins that cannot be removed by heat, filtration or common chemical treatment. One recent episode occurred on Klammath River. No known problem watersheds in the Sierra at present according to my source.

      Some interesting alternative methods to purify water (not all necessarily appropriate for backpacking)

      solar water purifier technique:
      http://www.sodis.ch/index_EN

      the Miox system (electrical generation of chlorine dioxide, as I understand the technology):
      http://www.miox.com/miox-solutions/MSR-MIOX-Purifier-Pen.aspx

      microtubular (dialysis filter) technology:
      http://www.sawyerpointonefilters.com/hollow-fiber-membranes.php
      (not for freezing conditions)

      Things you can do from here: