Getting to and from the trail - from SF

  • reperes_pleinair
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 5 5:27 PM
      I am also looking for info on how to get to Yosemite.

      I plan to fly from Montreal to SF.
      What is the easiest way to get to Yosemite park ?
      How many days should I planned for the land portion ?

      Then, from Lone Pine, how to get back to SF airport ?
      How many days ? Can I rent a car oneway from Lone Pine ?

      Thanks

      Mike
    • Bob Bankhead
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 5 6:12 PM
        Forget SF; fly into and back out of Reno.

        The CREST bus leaves directly from the Reno airport (outside baggage claim) at 11:45 am on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday, bound for Bishop. You get off at Mammoth Lakes McDonalds and stay overnight at teh Shilo Inn right next door (reservations suggested). http://www.countyofinyo.org/transit/CRESTpage.htm

        The next morning, catch the 7:20 am YARTS bus at McDonalds. Ride it all the way to either Tuolumne Meadows at 9:05 am or all the way down to Yosemite Valley at 10:55 am , depending upon whether you want to walk UP that 5000 foot hill between the two, or down it. Note that it is possible to wlak down the JMT to YV, then catch the 5:30 pm YARTS bus back to TM at 6:50 pm, spend the night in the backpackers' campground there, and start south the next morning. Your call. http://www.yarts.com/schedule/2007/Summer120E.pdf

        From Lone Pine on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, again take the CREST bus (this time, northbound from Ridgecrest), again ending at the Mammoth Lakes McDonalds. Stay the night. Take the northbound CREST (M,Tu,Th, F) back to Reno airport and fly home. CREST suggests advance reservations for their buses, but I'm told that it is really only necessary for the Reno to Mammoth to Reno runs; that's their busiest run.

        If you get to Lone Pine on an "off day", INYO Mono Transit also runs daily busses between Mammoth Lakes and Bishop, where you can hook up with the CREST buses as well. http://www.inyocounty.us/transit/Bishop%20to%20Mammoth%20Commuter%20page.htm

        AND there is also a local bus between Bishop and Lone Pine http://www.countyofinyo.org/transit/bishop_lonepine.htm so you have lots of outs.

      • Fred Sharples
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 5 8:28 PM
          Hi there.
          Bob is right that Reno is a better choice for the trail. However, If you
          need to go to San Francisco, I recommend taking the train. It costs around
          $44-$48 US each way. It's quite pleasant. It takes about 6 hours.
          I live in San Francisco and found it to be a relaxing and efficient way to
          get to the trailhead for my JMT last year.

          They pick up in several places in downtown San Francisco.

          As far as getting back to San Francisco, Bob Bankhead's instructions are
          excellent. You can use his directions to back to Yosemite and then onto
          Amtrack.

          For the schedule, go to amtrack.com.

          Have a great trip.
          Fred
          *http://fredsharples.com/jmt.html* <http://fredsharples.com/>

        • reperes_pleinair
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 6 6:59 PM
            Thanks Fred and Bob for the excellent detailed info.

            It seems indeed more logical to fly to Reno (I had to first check the
            map!) but 2 problems :
            1. I want to use my Air Canada Aeroplan points for a free flight. Air
            Canada has a flight to Reno but is not available to Aeroplan members!!
            So, SF is the other option.

            2. I plan to land on a Saturday, but if I choose Reno, I will have to
            wait until Monday noon to get the CREST buses!

            I have checked the Amtrak schedule from SF, and as I understand, the
            train leaves from Oakland ? Right ? We must take a bus to get to the
            train station ? But the map does not show any bus stop from the
            airport !!! And then I need to find a hotel near the bus stop !

            Seems more complex to get to the trail than to hike it :-)

            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Fred Sharples" <fred@...> wrote:

            > Hi there.
            > Bob is right that Reno is a better choice for the trail. However, If you
            > need to go to San Francisco, I recommend taking the train. It costs
            around
            > $44-$48 US each way. It's quite pleasant. It takes about 6 hours.
            > I live in San Francisco and found it to be a relaxing and efficient
            way to
            > get to the trailhead for my JMT last year.
            >
            > They pick up in several places in downtown San Francisco.
            >
            > As far as getting back to San Francisco, Bob Bankhead's instructions are
            > excellent. You can use his directions to back to Yosemite and then onto
            > Amtrack.
            >
            > For the schedule, go to amtrack.com.
            >
            > Have a great trip.
            > Fred
            > *http://fredsharples.com/jmt.html* <http://fredsharples.com/>

          • Frank Martin
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 7 6:58 AM
              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "reperes_pleinair"
              <mauger53@...> wrote:

              > Thanks Fred and Bob for the excellent detailed info.
              >
              > It seems indeed more logical to fly to Reno (I had to first check the
              > map!) but 2 problems :
              > 1. I want to use my Air Canada Aeroplan points for a free flight. Air
              > Canada has a flight to Reno but is not available to Aeroplan members!!
              > So, SF is the other option.
              >
              > 2. I plan to land on a Saturday, but if I choose Reno, I will have to
              > wait until Monday noon to get the CREST buses!
              >
              > I have checked the Amtrak schedule from SF, and as I understand, the
              > train leaves from Oakland ? Right ? We must take a bus to get to the
              > train station ? But the map does not show any bus stop from the
              > airport !!! And then I need to find a hotel near the bus stop !
              >
              > Seems more complex to get to the trail than to hike it :-)

              It is not really that hard.

              Depending on what time you arrive in San Francisco. The option of
              staying a night in SF or Oakland/Emmeryville and catching a train the
              next day or proceeding to the bus and taking the train the same day
              and perhaps spending the night in a motel in Merced.

              Take Bart from SFO to downtown SF. Either stay in a motel/hotel in SF
              or go to the Amtrak bus stop in SF which will take you to the Amtrack
              Station either in Emmeryville or Jack London Square.

              Take a San Joaquin train to Merced and from there connect to Yarts.
              which will take you to Yosemite.

              Yarts does not run on weekends either. So you might consider landing
              on a different day.

              Then it depends on where you intend to start the trail. In either
              case you will have to p/u your permit.

              If you are starting at TM you might want to get off Yarts at Crane
              Flat and hitch-hike up to TM.

              If starting in the Va.lley take yarts to the Valley.

              I would just plan on landing on a Sunday and that would make life easier.

              frank
            • Fred Sharples
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 7 8:16 AM
                It's true that the train leaves from near Oakland but there is a bus that
                will pick you up in several places in San Francisco and drop you off at the
                Emeryville (near Oakland) station. You can see the stops on the web site
                when you schedule your departure from SF. It's a short ride across the bay
                to get to the station.
                I suggest using the embarcadero bus stop.

                To get to one of these stops from the airport or another part of town, you
                would take a train/subway called BART.
                BART is also the cheapest way to get to downtown San Francisco from the
                airport.

                Believe me the hike is a lot more complicated than getting there.
                Let me know if you want more info.
                Fred
                On Thu, Mar 6, 2008 at 6:59 PM, reperes_pleinair <mauger53@...> wrote:

                > Thanks Fred and Bob for the excellent detailed info.
                >
                > It seems indeed more logical to fly to Reno (I had to first check the
                > map!) but 2 problems :
                > 1. I want to use my Air Canada Aeroplan points for a free flight. Air
                > Canada has a flight to Reno but is not available to Aeroplan members!!
                > So, SF is the other option.
                >
                > 2. I plan to land on a Saturday, but if I choose Reno, I will have to
                > wait until Monday noon to get the CREST buses!
                >
                > I have checked the Amtrak schedule from SF, and as I understand, the
                > train leaves from Oakland ? Right ? We must take a bus to get to the
                > train station ? But the map does not show any bus stop from the
                > airport !!! And then I need to find a hotel near the bus stop !
                >
                > Seems more complex to get to the trail than to hike it :-)
                >

                > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com <johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com>,
                > "Fred Sharples" <fred@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi there.
                > > Bob is right that Reno is a better choice for the trail. However, If you
                > > need to go to San Francisco, I recommend taking the train. It costs
                > around
                > > $44-$48 US each way. It's quite pleasant. It takes about 6 hours.
                > > I live in San Francisco and found it to be a relaxing and efficient
                > way to
                > > get to the trailhead for my JMT last year.
                > >
                > > They pick up in several places in downtown San Francisco.
                > >
                > > As far as getting back to San Francisco, Bob Bankhead's instructions are
                > > excellent. You can use his directions to back to Yosemite and then onto
                > > Amtrack.
                > >
                > > For the schedule, go to amtrack.com.
                > >
                > > Have a great trip.
                > > Fred
                > > *http://fredsharples.com/jmt.html* <http://fredsharples.com/>

                Orange Design Inc.
                Games - Tech - Art
                2601 Mission Street #800
                San Francisco, CA 94110
                415.643.4465 - Studio
                415.722.6442 - Mobile
                http://orangedesign.com

              • reperes_pleinair
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 8 11:20 AM

                  > Believe me the hike is a lot more complicated than getting there.
                  > Let me know if you want more info.
                  > Fred

                  Thanks Fred. Don't worry, I know it is. Only kidding!

                  So, I will land in SF on Saturday, take Amtrak on Sunday to Merced,
                  Yarts on Monday, pickup my permit and starts the hike on Tuesday. This
                  give us plenty of time for any delays, last minute shopping, relax,
                  dinner and wine, etc...
                  I had not noticed that there was no Yart service on weekends... Thanks

                  This thing being solved, I will now concentrate on equipment, food,
                  resupply and training...

                  Michel
                  from Montréal under the snow!!