Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: Getting to and from the trail

  • Bob Bankhead
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 4, 2008
      Actually, if the goal is to get from Lone Pine to Yosemite NP, it is quite simple.

      From Lone Pine, you have two bus options.

      1. The CREST bus runs one round-trip between Ridgecrest and Mammoth Lakes on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. See the schedule at http://www.countyofinyo.org/transit/CRESTpage.htm

      It leaves Statham Hall in Lone Pine at 2:50 pm, arriving Mammoth Lakes Mcdonald's (next door to the Shilo Inn) at 4:50 pm. you'll have to stay overnight in Mammoth Lakes. The next morning, catch the YARTS bus at Mcdonald's at 7:20 am, getting to Tuolumne Meadows store at 9:05 am and Yosemite Valley Visitors' Center at 10:05 am. http://www.yarts.com/schedule/2007/Summer120E.pdf

      OPTION 2: the lesser of the 2

      The INYO bus runs Monday through Friday, leaving Statham Hall in Lone Pine at 6:30 am, 8:30 am, and 5:00 pm, arriving Bishop K-Mart at
      7:40 am, 9:40 am, and 6:10 pm. http://www.countyofinyo.org/transit/bishop_lonepine.htm

      From Bishop, catch the CREST bus into Mammoth Lakes. On M, W, and F it leaves the terminal at 201 S. Warren at 3:50 pm, into Mammoth Mcdonalds at 4:50 pm. On M, Tues, Thurs, and Frid, it leaves the same terminal at 7:00 am, into Mammopth McDonalds at 7:50 am.

      From Bishop to Mammoth, you can also take the INYO bus twice daily (see http://www.inyocounty.us/transit/Bishop%20to%20Mammoth%20Commuter%20page.htm)

      From Mammoth Lakes to Yosemite, you have only the YARTS bus listed in option 1. http://www.yarts.com/schedule/2007/Summer120E.pdf

      Note that the CREST bus also runs from Mammoth McDonalds directly to the Reno airport on M, Tu, Thur, and Frid. Leaves Mammoth at 7:20 am, arrive Reno at 11:45 am. Fly home from there. You could also reverse that, fly into Reno, take CREST to Mammoth Lakes and Yarts to Yosemite. You don't have to start at San Francisco or LA - unless you live there.

      Wandering Bob

    • clairehiker
      Message 2 of 23 , Mar 5, 2008
        From Reno airport to Yosemite, you can take that CREST bus to Lee Vining, then the Yarts
        bus to Yosemite Valley from there. The schedule is such that you will have to spend the
        night somewhere along the way. must be a conspiracy of hotel owners and hwy 395
        business people! It is likely cheaper to stay in Lee Vining than Mammoth, and you wouldn't
        have to backtrack in the am.

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Bankhead" <wandering_bob@...> wrote:

        > Actually, if the goal is to get from Lone Pine to Yosemite NP, it is quite simple.
        >
        > From Lone Pine, you have two bus options.
        >
        > 1. The CREST bus runs one round-trip between Ridgecrest and Mammoth Lakes on
        Monday, Wednesday and Friday. See the schedule at
        http://www.countyofinyo.org/transit/CRESTpage.htm

        > It leaves Statham Hall in Lone Pine at 2:50 pm, arriving Mammoth Lakes Mcdonald's
        (next door to the Shilo Inn) at 4:50 pm. you'll have to stay overnight in Mammoth Lakes.
        The next morning, catch the YARTS bus at Mcdonald's at 7:20 am, getting to Tuolumne
        Meadows store at 9:05 am and Yosemite Valley Visitors' Center at 10:05 am.
        http://www.yarts.com/schedule/2007/Summer120E.pdf

        > OPTION 2: the lesser of the 2
        >
        > The INYO bus runs Monday through Friday, leaving Statham Hall in Lone Pine at 6:30
        am, 8:30 am, and 5:00 pm, arriving Bishop K-Mart at
        > 7:40 am, 9:40 am, and 6:10 pm.
        http://www.countyofinyo.org/transit/bishop_lonepine.htm

        > From Bishop, catch the CREST bus into Mammoth Lakes. On M, W, and F it leaves the
        terminal at 201 S. Warren at 3:50 pm, into Mammoth Mcdonalds at 4:50 pm. On M, Tues,
        Thurs, and Frid, it leaves the same terminal at 7:00 am, into Mammopth McDonalds at
        7:50 am.

        http://www.inyocounty.us/transit/Bishop%20to%20Mammoth%20Commuter%20page.htm)

        > From Mammoth Lakes to Yosemite, you have only the YARTS bus listed in option 1.
        http://www.yarts.com/schedule/2007/Summer120E.pdf

        > Note that the CREST bus also runs from Mammoth McDonalds directly to the Reno
        airport on M, Tu, Thur, and Frid. Leaves Mammoth at 7:20 am, arrive Reno at 11:45 am.
        Fly home from there. You could also reverse that, fly into Reno, take CREST to Mammoth
        Lakes and Yarts to Yosemite. You don't have to start at San Francisco or LA - unless you
        live there.

        > Wandering Bob

      • scottasinner
        Message 3 of 23 , Mar 6, 2008
          Thanks, Doug, but I'm not old enough to rent a car ( will only be
          21). I don't suppose there's another bus available is there?

          > Scott,
          > I am just down the road in Lebanon. Last year when my wife and I
          went
          > out to hike the JMT we flew one-way into Sacramento. Rented a car
          one-
          > way ($100) to Merced and the Yarts bus into the park. We left on
          > Tuesday morning and were on the trail to Little Yosemite Valley by
          > Wednesday noon. At the end, take the Yarts bus to Ridgecrest and a
          one-
          > way car rental ($50) from the Inyokern Airport to Las Vegas for your
          > return flight to Harrisburg.
          > Doug

        • dh5169
          Message 4 of 23 , Mar 6, 2008
            Scott,
            Yes, I know you can get Greyhound from Sacramento and I seem to
            recall on the other end it was a local bus from Ridgecrest to Barstow
            (?)and then Greyhound to Las Vegas - you just have to get the timing
            down right on both ends. (I think the Crest site shows all the
            possible connections - I think you can also go to LA from there).

            That being said, you should also consider Reno as an alternative -
            there is plenty of info out here on how to get from Reno (Crest Bus)
            and then into Yosemite (Yarts) and from Lone Pine back to Reno
            (Crest, again) and the overnights that this route will require.

            Getting back to the Sacramento option (I am speaking off the top of
            my head on this). Take the local bus from the airport to the
            Greyhound station; Greyhound (I think there were 3 afternoon/evening
            buses)to Merced (overnight there - Vagabond Inn was clean and cheap
            and it's a short walk to the Yarts station); and Yarts to Yosemite.

            Alternative is to overnight in Sacramento and take Amtrak which
            connects in Merced to the Yarts Bus (Amtrak ticket includes Yarts
            bus I think).

            If you want more info or want to meet up - I work in Harrisburg,
            send me email direct.

            Doug

            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "scottasinner"