JMT - quick trip report

  • WFS
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 26 11:33 PM
      Hi all,

      I finished up my 17 day JMT thru hike on Wednesday. It was a great experience, capped by proposing to my girlfriend (with a ring I carved out of a down whitebark pine branch on the trail) when she picked me up at Yosemite yesterday.

      The weather was great. There were clouds massing when we did Muir Pass a week ago thursday, and then again this past monday (Forrester pass) and tuesday (camping at guitar lake), but nothing came of it except a few rain drops.

      There was still a fair amount of snow at all passes, and on Whitney after the junction, but the only really challenging snow was on the southbound descent from Muir Pass. That was steep, and tricky.

      The bugs were pretty bad, including at Sunrise Lake (we took side trails to climb Clouds Rest - highly recommended) and then starting a few miles north of Donahue. They were bad until Reds, and then pretty bad at other places along the way (Sallie Keys Lakes for one).

      We climbed Whitney in the middle of the night so we could be up there for sunrise - what an experience! We actually hiked in the dark a couple of times, getting up at 4AM and starting on the trail around 530. It was really cool - the mountains look very interesting in the early morning light.

      If you have any questions, or want any specific info, please ask - I'd love to talk about it!

      Will
    • Barbara Karagosian
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 26 11:37 PM
        Many congratulations!

        Barbara
        Typos by iPad

[...]

      • Jonskiles

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 27 8:27 AM
            Will, Congrats on the proposal and finishing the JMT! I ran into you guys on the way up to Silver Pass, between the Cascade Valley Junction and Squaw Lake. It sounds like you guys had a great hike. Pretty cool way to finish the trip on Whitney as well. Robert

            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "WFS" <wlrohrer@...> wrote:

            > Hi all,
            >
            > I finished up my 17 day JMT thru hike on Wednesday. It was a great experience, capped by proposing to my girlfriend (with a ring I carved out of a down whitebark pine branch on the trail) when she picked me up at Yosemite yesterday.
            >
            > The weather was great. There were clouds massing when we did Muir Pass a week ago thursday, and then again this past monday (Forrester pass) and tuesday (camping at guitar lake), but nothing came of it except a few rain drops.
            >
            > There was still a fair amount of snow at all passes, and on Whitney after the junction, but the only really challenging snow was on the southbound descent from Muir Pass. That was steep, and tricky.
            >
            > The bugs were pretty bad, including at Sunrise Lake (we took side trails to climb Clouds Rest - highly recommended) and then starting a few miles north of Donahue. They were bad until Reds, and then pretty bad at other places along the way (Sallie Keys Lakes for one).
            >
            > We climbed Whitney in the middle of the night so we could be up there for sunrise - what an experience! We actually hiked in the dark a couple of times, getting up at 4AM and starting on the trail around 530. It was really cool - the mountains look very interesting in the early morning light.
            >
            > If you have any questions, or want any specific info, please ask - I'd love to talk about it!
            >
            > Will

          • WFS
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 27 9:36 AM
              Great question - this is exactly what we did. I believe it adds a couple of miles only (look on the Harrison Map to find out the exact number). I did the calculation a few months ago when we decided to do Clouds Rest and I think it added something like 2-3 miles. I know for a fact that it is shorter than going up to Clouds Rest, then coming back the way you came to the junction and taking the JMT from there.

              We had the permit to stay in Little Yosemite Valley the first night, which we did, and which was great (communal fire ring, pit toilets). We did Clouds Rest the next day and camped at Lower Sunrise Lake, which was buggy but very beautiful. Then we hooked back into the JMT at the Sunrise High Sierra Camp, went off trail to climb Columbia Finger, and descended the other side of the Finger to the north side of Cathedral Pass, and down to Tuolumne. All highly recommended (it was too exposed to get to the very top of Columbia Finger, but the views from 100 feet away were sublime).

              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Jonskiles <jonskiles@...> wrote:

              > Sounds like a wonderful trip. I am starting out on 9/5. I am toying with taking the Clouds Rest trail to the back of Sunrise High Sierra Camp. Any idea how many miles that would add? Thanks for a great report.
              >
              > Sent from my iPhone
              >
              > On Aug 26, 2011, at 11:33 PM, "WFS" <wlrohrer@...> wrote:
              >
              > > Hi all,
              > >
              > > I finished up my 17 day JMT thru hike on Wednesday. It was a great experience, capped by proposing to my girlfriend (with a ring I carved out of a down whitebark pine branch on the trail) when she picked me up at Yosemite yesterday.
              > >
              > > The weather was great. There were clouds massing when we did Muir Pass a week ago thursday, and then again this past monday (Forrester pass) and tuesday (camping at guitar lake), but nothing came of it except a few rain drops.
              > >
              > > There was still a fair amount of snow at all passes, and on Whitney after the junction, but the only really challenging snow was on the southbound descent from Muir Pass. That was steep, and tricky.
              > >
              > > The bugs were pretty bad, including at Sunrise Lake (we took side trails to climb Clouds Rest - highly recommended) and then starting a few miles north of Donahue. They were bad until Reds, and then pretty bad at other places along the way (Sallie Keys Lakes for one).
              > >
              > > We climbed Whitney in the middle of the night so we could be up there for sunrise - what an experience! We actually hiked in the dark a couple of times, getting up at 4AM and starting on the trail around 530. It was really cool - the mountains look very interesting in the early morning light.
              > >
              > > If you have any questions, or want any specific info, please ask - I'd love to talk about it!
              > >
              > > Will

            • WFS
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 27 9:38 AM
                Thanks Robert! How did your 9 day, 8 night conquest go? Great to meet you out on the trail!

                > Will, Congrats on the proposal and finishing the JMT! I ran into you guys on the way up to Silver Pass, between the Cascade Valley Junction and Squaw Lake. It sounds like you guys had a great hike. Pretty cool way to finish the trip on Whitney as well. Robert
                >
                > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "WFS" <wlrohrer@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi all,
                > >
                > > I finished up my 17 day JMT thru hike on Wednesday. It was a great experience, capped by proposing to my girlfriend (with a ring I carved out of a down whitebark pine branch on the trail) when she picked me up at Yosemite yesterday.
                > >
                > > The weather was great. There were clouds massing when we did Muir Pass a week ago thursday, and then again this past monday (Forrester pass) and tuesday (camping at guitar lake), but nothing came of it except a few rain drops.
                > >
                > > There was still a fair amount of snow at all passes, and on Whitney after the junction, but the only really challenging snow was on the southbound descent from Muir Pass. That was steep, and tricky.
                > >
                > > The bugs were pretty bad, including at Sunrise Lake (we took side trails to climb Clouds Rest - highly recommended) and then starting a few miles north of Donahue. They were bad until Reds, and then pretty bad at other places along the way (Sallie Keys Lakes for one).
                > >
                > > We climbed Whitney in the middle of the night so we could be up there for sunrise - what an experience! We actually hiked in the dark a couple of times, getting up at 4AM and starting on the trail around 530. It was really cool - the mountains look very interesting in the early morning light.
                > >
                > > If you have any questions, or want any specific info, please ask - I'd love to talk about it!
                > >
                > > Will

              • Robert
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 27 2:32 PM
                  Will, Yes we finished. A little ahead of time, but we cut our food a little too close. Our appetites kicked into high-rev mode and we couldn't eat enough! We went to Marie Lake the night we ran into you guys. It was a great trip, and my 'demented' brain is already thinking of next year and how I can go lighter and where I can shave time! I want to do some alternate routes though. I want to check out Iva Bell hot springs and maybe the River Trail out of Reds. Once again, I'm glad you guys had a fun trip, and maybe I'll see you out in the Sierras again. They are addicting!