High Sierra Trail

  • Kim Fishburn
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 26, 2011
      The note I just posted to the sidebar also has an app for the High Sierra Trail. http://www.everytrail.com/
    • Robert
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 30, 2011
        I know it is not JMT related, but I was wondering if anyone has hiked the HST and what they thought of it. I will be doing a semi-loop going over Shepherd Pass, Colby Pass, Elizabeth Pass then back-tracking the HST from Bear Paw Meadow the rest of the way to Whitney Portal. Any trail beta would be appreciated on good camping locations, swimming holes, must-see views or stops ect. I won't be doing a fast-pack pace on this one because I haven't seen it yet, but will still be looking at the 6 - 7 day range for the 109 miles it is. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 30, 2011
          Can you draw your route on a map and post?  I'm interested. Thx!

          Sent from my iPhone

          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 30, 2011
            Hi Roliegh. If I was smart enough to figure out how to do that I would, but for now I will try and explain the route as best I can! Because I live on the east side of the Sierras, vehicle logistics are a MAJOR headache with this hike, so I decided on the semi-loop idea.

            Starting at the Shepherd Pass trailhead head west over Shepherd Pass to intersect with the JMT at Tyndal Creek. Take the trail from Tyndal Creek that heads to Junction Meadow. Junction Meadow up the Kern Kaweah River to Colby Pass. Down Colby Pass through Cloud Canyon, to Roaring River Ranger station. Up Deadman canyon over Elizabeth Pass. Hike south until the intersection with the High Sierra Trail. Head east by Hamilton Lakes and Precipice Lake over Kaweah Gap. Kaweah Gap through Nine Lakes Basin, Chagoopa Plateau, to Kern Canyon. Up Kern Canyon (via Kern hot springs stop), to Junction Meadow. Up Wallace Creek to re-join the JMT/PCT and follow JMT out to Whitney Portal.

            The total mileage is 108.7 mi. and 29,166' of elevation gain and 27,181' of elevation loss. Were you interested in the route out of curiosity or were you interested in going? I will probably be posting something down the road to see if anyone was interested or not. It is a rugged hike from what I have heard, but I have always wanted to 'knock out' Shepherd Pass and see some of that country in the southern Sierras. I will look into getting a more tech savvy friend to post the route.

            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Roleigh Martin <marti124@...> wrote:

            > Can you draw your route on a map and post? I'm interested. Thx!
            >
            > Sent from my iPhone
            >
            > On Oct 30, 2011, at 6:25 PM, "Robert" <rnperky@...> wrote:
            >
            > > I know it is not JMT related, but I was wondering if anyone has hiked the HST and what they thought of it. I will be doing a semi-loop going over Shepherd Pass, Colby Pass, Elizabeth Pass then back-tracking the HST from Bear Paw Meadow the rest of the way to Whitney Portal. Any trail beta would be appreciated on good camping locations, swimming holes, must-see views or stops ect. I won't be doing a fast-pack pace on this one because I haven't seen it yet, but will still be looking at the 6 - 7 day range for the 109 miles it is. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

          • Dave Duncan
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 30, 2011

              I did a similar loop a few years ago but started from Crescent Meadows.  I hiked the HST to Whitney, then returned by way of Colby Pass, Deadman Canyon/Sugar Loaf, Stillman Pass, Wolverton Cutoff Trail thru Giant Forest, and then back to Crescent Meadows.  Was a fantastic trip and avoided the shuttle problems with a HST thru trip.  I spent the first night a Hamilton Lake which was beautiful, second night at Moraine Lake which was a good swimming lake and the next morning stopped by Kern Hot Springs for a nice soak.  I camped at Guitar Lake which is a beautiful lake and a great place for sunsets. The next morning I left most of my gear at Guitar Lake and started hiking to Mt. Whitney at about 4:30 am so that I was on Whitney early in the day.  No crowds, clear weather, and amazing views.  I like being on Whitney early in the day before any cloud buildups get going.   On the return trip,   I camped in a meadow area on the east side of Colby Pass and it was just me, a nice little stream in which to soak, and some coyotes to provide some music.  Could ask for more.  The streams and lakes in the Colby Pass area are loaded with golden trout.   Colby Pass sees little traffic and is a beautiful high Sierra pass.   Deadman Canyon had to most bear sign I have ever seen in the Sierra but I didn’t see any bear.  I enjoyed finishing the trip with an early morning walk thru Giant Forest.   Amazing to walk amongst the giant redwoods!  Was so peaceful and quiet that I got a little lax and while walking near Crescent Meadow.   I saw a young bear cub race up a tree and another race up a hillside.  Not surprisingly mom looked up from behind some ferns and decided to bluff charge me.  An adrenaline way to finish a great backpack trip!

              Cheers,

              Dave

            • Robert
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 30, 2011
                Dave, Thank-you for the info! I am looking forward to seeing some new sights in the Sierras.

                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Duncan" <dduncan@...> wrote:

                > I did a similar loop a few years ago but started from Crescent Meadows. I
                > hiked the HST to Whitney, then returned by way of Colby Pass, Deadman
                > Canyon/Sugar Loaf, Stillman Pass, Wolverton Cutoff Trail thru Giant Forest,
                > and then back to Crescent Meadows. Was a fantastic trip and avoided the
                > shuttle problems with a HST thru trip. I spent the first night a Hamilton
                > Lake which was beautiful, second night at Moraine Lake which was a good
                > swimming lake and the next morning stopped by Kern Hot Springs for a nice
                > soak. I camped at Guitar Lake which is a beautiful lake and a great place
                > for sunsets. The next morning I left most of my gear at Guitar Lake and
                > started hiking to Mt. Whitney at about 4:30 am so that I was on Whitney
                > early in the day. No crowds, clear weather, and amazing views. I like
                > being on Whitney early in the day before any cloud buildups get going. On
                > the return trip, I camped in a meadow area on the east side of Colby Pass
                > and it was just me, a nice little stream in which to soak, and some coyotes
                > to provide some music. Could ask for more. The streams and lakes in the
                > Colby Pass area are loaded with golden trout. Colby Pass sees little
                > traffic and is a beautiful high Sierra pass. Deadman Canyon had to most
                > bear sign I have ever seen in the Sierra but I didn't see any bear. I
                > enjoyed finishing the trip with an early morning walk thru Giant Forest.
                > Amazing to walk amongst the giant redwoods! Was so peaceful and quiet that
                > I got a little lax and while walking near Crescent Meadow. I saw a young
                > bear cub race up a tree and another race up a hillside. Not surprisingly
                > mom looked up from behind some ferns and decided to bluff charge me. An
                > adrenaline way to finish a great backpack trip!
                >

                > Cheers,
                >
                > Dave

              • Kim Fishburn
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 31, 2011
                  Skurka has some pictures from the High Route on his facebook page.

                  https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.287533244591145.79136.261359140541889&type=3
                • speedcenter2001
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 31, 2011
                    Roper's Sierra High Route and the High Sierra Trail are two very different hikes

                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 31, 2011
                      Kim, This is a different route than the Sierra High Route, though I get them mixed up when talking to people about them as well! I have done about half of the High Route, and it is spectacular, probably my favorite hike, if I had to pick! The High Sierra Trail is a trans-Sierra route that crosses East - West or West - East it is only 72 miles long one way but the trailheads are about 7 1/2 hrs apart making it unpractical for someone living on the east side of the Sierras to do it without making it some kind of out-and-back, or semi-loop route, which I am choosing to do.