Re: Getting to and from the trail

  • e1705email
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 4, 2008
      Hi Paul,

      I was not the one who asked this transportation question, but one who
      is interested in the answer. I checked out all the links and called a
      couple of the services. It seems there hasn't been much activity on
      the JMT Yahoo group lately, so will post this.

      Here are my comments:

      Earliest bus from Lone Pine to Bishop leaves at 6:30AM and arrives at
      7:40AM. The bus out of Bishop leaves at 7:00AM so the connection
      cannot be made the same day. Either have to hitchhike earlier, or get
      to Bishop the day before.

      The Bishop bus arrives at Lee Vining (for example) at 8:25AM -
      Caltrans yard. The Yarts leaves via 3 locations in Lee Vining from
      8:20, 8:23 and 8:30AM. I called CREST to see if this is timed so
      people arriving at 8:25 could make the transfer in time. The employee
      I spoke with had no idea where the Caltrans yard was and was not
      encouraging about making the connection.

      Based upon my homework so far, I haven't come up with a reliable way
      of getting from Lone Pine to Yosemite quickly / smoothly. I'm
      thinking it might be faster to hitchhike with a cardboard sign.

      Anyway, this is where I am at, if anyone has further insight. I
      haven't made any flight reservations yet, hoping that something
      firmer will develop, or more time will have to be allowed for getting
      home.

      Also, no one has been able (or willing) to answer my fish question
      yet, as to what kind of fish they were, or the possible location. If
      the table was turned, and I knew about it, I would be reluctant to
      pass the info on also. It is possible that things have changed since
      35 years ago and this kind of fish encounter no longer exists on the
      JMT (?).

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Paul" <plockey@...> wrote:

      > From Lone Pine you can catch the INYO bus to Bishop.
      > Then the CREST bus from Bishop to Lee Vinning.
      > Then the YARTS bus from Lee Vinning into Yosemite Valley.
      > Then it's just a matter of getting back to Fresno the same way you
      got
      > to Yosemite Valley.
      > Here are a couple of the bus links:
      > http://www.countyofinyo.org/transit/route,%20schedule%20&%
      20fares.htm
      > http://www.yarts.com/
      >
      > http://www.countyofinyo.org/transit/bishop_lonepine.htm
      > http://www.countyofinyo.org/transit/CRESTpage.htm
      > http://www.yarts.com/schedule/2007/Summer120E.pdf
      >
      > Paul

    • rambler4466
      Message 2 of 23 , Mar 4, 2008
        It might be cheaper to fly to Oakland. From Oakland take Amtrak to Merced. From Merced
        take YARTS (a bus line) to Yosemite. However, because of train schedules, you might not be
        able to fly into Oakland soon enough to catch the train, and the YARTS bus does not run on
        weekends. You could fly into Fresno which is closer to Merced and again take Amtrak and
        Yarts. YARTS does have an ealy morning connection from Mariposa. Bakersfield is another
        airport with similar connections, and is closer to Lone Pine.

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "scottasinner" <scottasinner@...> wrote:

        > I am from Harrisburg, PA. I am hiking the trail this summer and was
        > wondering how I would get to and from the trail. If I fly in to say,
        > San Francisco, what is the cheapest way to travel? What do other
        > people do?

      • e1705email
        Message 3 of 23 , Mar 4, 2008
          Hi,

          Yes, I have worked out the details on getting to the trailhead,
          though it isn't totally smooth from Oakland or SF. The only hitch at
          this time is getting back from Lone Pine to Yosemite. From Yosemite,
          I would just do the reverse of getting there via Amtrak to either SF
          or Oakland.

          Holding off on making flight reservations until having worked through
          the options as best as can be foreseen.

          Thanks,

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "rambler4466" <rambler4466@...>
          wrote:

          > It might be cheaper to fly to Oakland. From Oakland take Amtrak to
          Merced. From Merced
          > take YARTS (a bus line) to Yosemite. However, because of train
          schedules, you might not be
          > able to fly into Oakland soon enough to catch the train, and the
          YARTS bus does not run on
          > weekends. You could fly into Fresno which is closer to Merced and
          again take Amtrak and
          > Yarts. YARTS does have an ealy morning connection from Mariposa.
          Bakersfield is another
          > airport with similar connections, and is closer to Lone Pine.
          >
          > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "scottasinner"
          <scottasinner@> wrote:

          > > I am from Harrisburg, PA. I am hiking the trail this summer and
          was
          > > wondering how I would get to and from the trail. If I fly in to
          say,
          > > San Francisco, what is the cheapest way to travel? What do other
          > > people do?

        • Bob Bankhead
          Message 4 of 23 , Mar 4, 2008
            Actually, if the goal is to get from Lone Pine to Yosemite NP, it is quite simple.

            From Lone Pine, you have two bus options.

            1. The CREST bus runs one round-trip between Ridgecrest and Mammoth Lakes on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. See the schedule at http://www.countyofinyo.org/transit/CRESTpage.htm

            It leaves Statham Hall in Lone Pine at 2:50 pm, arriving Mammoth Lakes Mcdonald's (next door to the Shilo Inn) at 4:50 pm. you'll have to stay overnight in Mammoth Lakes. The next morning, catch the YARTS bus at Mcdonald's at 7:20 am, getting to Tuolumne Meadows store at 9:05 am and Yosemite Valley Visitors' Center at 10:05 am. http://www.yarts.com/schedule/2007/Summer120E.pdf

            OPTION 2: the lesser of the 2

            The INYO bus runs Monday through Friday, leaving Statham Hall in Lone Pine at 6:30 am, 8:30 am, and 5:00 pm, arriving Bishop K-Mart at
            7:40 am, 9:40 am, and 6:10 pm. http://www.countyofinyo.org/transit/bishop_lonepine.htm

            From Bishop, catch the CREST bus into Mammoth Lakes. On M, W, and F it leaves the terminal at 201 S. Warren at 3:50 pm, into Mammoth Mcdonalds at 4:50 pm. On M, Tues, Thurs, and Frid, it leaves the same terminal at 7:00 am, into Mammopth McDonalds at 7:50 am.

            From Bishop to Mammoth, you can also take the INYO bus twice daily (see http://www.inyocounty.us/transit/Bishop%20to%20Mammoth%20Commuter%20page.htm)

            From Mammoth Lakes to Yosemite, you have only the YARTS bus listed in option 1. http://www.yarts.com/schedule/2007/Summer120E.pdf

            Note that the CREST bus also runs from Mammoth McDonalds directly to the Reno airport on M, Tu, Thur, and Frid. Leaves Mammoth at 7:20 am, arrive Reno at 11:45 am. Fly home from there. You could also reverse that, fly into Reno, take CREST to Mammoth Lakes and Yarts to Yosemite. You don't have to start at San Francisco or LA - unless you live there.

            Wandering Bob

          • clairehiker
            Message 5 of 23 , Mar 5, 2008
              From Reno airport to Yosemite, you can take that CREST bus to Lee Vining, then the Yarts
              bus to Yosemite Valley from there. The schedule is such that you will have to spend the
              night somewhere along the way. must be a conspiracy of hotel owners and hwy 395
              business people! It is likely cheaper to stay in Lee Vining than Mammoth, and you wouldn't
              have to backtrack in the am.

              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Bankhead" <wandering_bob@...> wrote:

              > Actually, if the goal is to get from Lone Pine to Yosemite NP, it is quite simple.
              >
              > From Lone Pine, you have two bus options.
              >
              > 1. The CREST bus runs one round-trip between Ridgecrest and Mammoth Lakes on
              Monday, Wednesday and Friday. See the schedule at
              http://www.countyofinyo.org/transit/CRESTpage.htm

              > It leaves Statham Hall in Lone Pine at 2:50 pm, arriving Mammoth Lakes Mcdonald's
              (next door to the Shilo Inn) at 4:50 pm. you'll have to stay overnight in Mammoth Lakes.
              The next morning, catch the YARTS bus at Mcdonald's at 7:20 am, getting to Tuolumne
              Meadows store at 9:05 am and Yosemite Valley Visitors' Center at 10:05 am.
              http://www.yarts.com/schedule/2007/Summer120E.pdf

              > OPTION 2: the lesser of the 2
              >
              > The INYO bus runs Monday through Friday, leaving Statham Hall in Lone Pine at 6:30
              am, 8:30 am, and 5:00 pm, arriving Bishop K-Mart at
              > 7:40 am, 9:40 am, and 6:10 pm.
              http://www.countyofinyo.org/transit/bishop_lonepine.htm

              > From Bishop, catch the CREST bus into Mammoth Lakes. On M, W, and F it leaves the
              terminal at 201 S. Warren at 3:50 pm, into Mammoth Mcdonalds at 4:50 pm. On M, Tues,
              Thurs, and Frid, it leaves the same terminal at 7:00 am, into Mammopth McDonalds at
              7:50 am.

              http://www.inyocounty.us/transit/Bishop%20to%20Mammoth%20Commuter%20page.htm)

              > From Mammoth Lakes to Yosemite, you have only the YARTS bus listed in option 1.
              http://www.yarts.com/schedule/2007/Summer120E.pdf

              > Note that the CREST bus also runs from Mammoth McDonalds directly to the Reno
              airport on M, Tu, Thur, and Frid. Leaves Mammoth at 7:20 am, arrive Reno at 11:45 am.
              Fly home from there. You could also reverse that, fly into Reno, take CREST to Mammoth
              Lakes and Yarts to Yosemite. You don't have to start at San Francisco or LA - unless you
              live there.

              > Wandering Bob

            • scottasinner
              Message 6 of 23 , Mar 6, 2008
                Thanks, Doug, but I'm not old enough to rent a car ( will only be
                21). I don't suppose there's another bus available is there?

                > Scott,
                > I am just down the road in Lebanon. Last year when my wife and I
                went
                > out to hike the JMT we flew one-way into Sacramento. Rented a car
                one-
                > way ($100) to Merced and the Yarts bus into the park. We left on
                > Tuesday morning and were on the trail to Little Yosemite Valley by
                > Wednesday noon. At the end, take the Yarts bus to Ridgecrest and a
                one-
                > way car rental ($50) from the Inyokern Airport to Las Vegas for your
                > return flight to Harrisburg.
                > Doug

              • dh5169
                Message 7 of 23 , Mar 6, 2008
                  Scott,
                  Yes, I know you can get Greyhound from Sacramento and I seem to
                  recall on the other end it was a local bus from Ridgecrest to Barstow
                  (?)and then Greyhound to Las Vegas - you just have to get the timing
                  down right on both ends. (I think the Crest site shows all the
                  possible connections - I think you can also go to LA from there).

                  That being said, you should also consider Reno as an alternative -
                  there is plenty of info out here on how to get from Reno (Crest Bus)
                  and then into Yosemite (Yarts) and from Lone Pine back to Reno
                  (Crest, again) and the overnights that this route will require.

                  Getting back to the Sacramento option (I am speaking off the top of
                  my head on this). Take the local bus from the airport to the
                  Greyhound station; Greyhound (I think there were 3 afternoon/evening
                  buses)to Merced (overnight there - Vagabond Inn was clean and cheap
                  and it's a short walk to the Yarts station); and Yarts to Yosemite.

                  Alternative is to overnight in Sacramento and take Amtrak which
                  connects in Merced to the Yarts Bus (Amtrak ticket includes Yarts
                  bus I think).

                  If you want more info or want to meet up - I work in Harrisburg,
                  send me email direct.

                  Doug