Re: advice regarding log bridges over Rush Creek and Minaret Creek - afraid of hights

  • Paul
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 19, 2008
      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, angelika groenbeck
      <agroenbeck@...> wrote:
      >Angi,

      I have hiked this section for the JMT several times. I don't think
      that most of us even think about crossing unless they are major.
      There are several good sized bridges in Lyell canyon. These are wide
      and sturdy, as many people and horses go over them. None are high
      above the water. I can't really think of anything else except little
      crossing. If I had your fear, I would definetly carry a pair of
      wading shoes like Croc's. This way when there are logs to cross you
      can wade thru the water which is usually 1 foot or less deep, instead
      of crossing on the log.

      There are no major stream crossings at all in this section and by
      August the water will be low.

      Paul

      > We plan to do part of the JMT in early August from TM to Reds
      Meadows.
      > My problem is that I am extreme afraid of heights ( last year on
      the hike to Ediza lake I had to crawl over the log bridge on my feet
      and hands without backpack, and still got dizzy ).
      > To help figure out if I am able to do this hike , could anybody
      please tell me how many log bridges without hand-rail I will have to
      cross and approximately how high above the ground they are and how
      long and narrow ? Do you think in a normal year it will by safe to
      wade through both creeks in August or have they very swift water?