Memories Day 7

  • hmdsierra
    Message 1 of 473 , Aug 7, 1999
      Day 7 Aug 7,1982<br>Since the trail we came up on
      didn't fit my map I looked around and found a trace of
      it on the south side of the creek, or I could just
      be lost again. The sky was still overcast so we
      waited a while to see what was going to happen. We
      considered taking a rain day and staying put. By 11:15 we
      had decided and were on the trail. It was a ho-hum
      day walking thru the loose pumice, missing Gary,
      overcast, ordinary country. At Deer Ck. we took lunch and
      then moved on. Suddenly we came to the rim of Cascade
      Valley. The ho-hum day immediately changed. The clouds
      swirled around the snow covered peaks across the canyon.
      It would be raining in one spot and the sun beaming
      throught the clouds in another. The scene before us was
      constantly and quickly shifting. It is one of the most
      spectacular sights I have ever seen. I havn't seen it at all
      like it since. Owen and I would hold up under a tree
      when it sprinkled and once a cloud moved up the hill
      until we were enveloped in the fog. By the time we
      arrived at Duck Ck. the sky had cleared off and we made
      camp. There were two women who had arrived at the same
      time camping nearby. While I was trying to get the
      fire started with the damp wood, one of them came over
      and asked "don't you have a candle", well, nope. A
      little later when we had a roaring fire going she came
      back and told me they had a difficult time getting
      theirs going. I bit my lip but chuckled inside. One of
      Owen's pack straps was starting to come undone so I
      whipped out the sewing kit and made repairs. Our sleeping
      spot was a small depression that fit us just right. It
      was so good we used the same place the next time we
      were there. 8.1 miles today.
    • tiocampo
      Message 473 of 473 , Feb 24, 2002