Getting to and from the trail

  • scottasinner
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 17, 2008
      I am from Harrisburg, PA. I am hiking the trail this summer and was
      wondering how I would get to and from the trail. If I fly in to say,
      San Francisco, what is the cheapest way to travel? What do other
      people do?
    • Paul
      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 17, 2008
        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "scottasinner" <scottasinner@...>
        wrote:
        >Scott,

        My suggestion would be to fly into Merced, CA. or Reno, NV.

        If you fly into Reno you can take the Crest bus south and then the next
        day take the YARTS bus into Tuolumne Meadow or Yosemite Valley. If you
        fly into Merced. You can take the YARTS bus directly into Yosemite,
        if you trailhead is from Tuolumne Meadows you will have to stay a day
        in Yosemite and take the other YARTS bus the next day to Tuolumne.
        (not a bad place to have to spend a day BTW.)

        If you end your hike at Whitney Portal you will have to hitch a ride to
        Lone Pine. (very easy to do) and then take the Crest bus south to
        Ridgecrest where you can get a flight home or go north to Reno.

        http://www.countyofinyo.org/transit/CRESTpage.htm
        http://www.yarts.com/

        > I am from Harrisburg, PA. I am hiking the trail this summer and was
        > wondering how I would get to and from the trail. If I fly in to say,
        > San Francisco, what is the cheapest way to travel? What do other
        > people do?

      • Kevin Aston
        Message 3 of 23 , Feb 17, 2008
          Are you hiking North to South, or South to North. I would fly to Reno
          not San Fran. It is about 300 miles closer. Here is a link for
          shuttles from the Reno Airport to places that you can pick up
          connecting shuttles to get you where you want to go.
          http://www.countyofinyo.org/transit/CRESTpage.htm
          Going to either end of the trail will cost you about $40 per person,
          plus lodging. The Shuttle leaves the airport at 11:45 on Mon, Tues,
          Thurs, and Fri and gets to Lee Vining where you can catch a National
          Parks shuttle the next day which will take you to the Yosemite Happy
          Trails Trailhead or a hikers camping spot. If you want to start at
          the South end you would need to go clear to Lone Pine which requires
          an overnight stay in Bishop, but the connecting shuttle only travels
          to Lone Pine on Monday Wens, or Fri, so if you went the wrong day you
          would have a longer layover waiting for the conneting shuttle. The
          shuttle leaves at 9:15 am and gets to Lone Pine at 10:25. You would
          then need to hitch hike to the Portal to start the hike. The hike is
          a little easier to do South to North after you get past Whitney, but
          if you are coming from near sea level to hike the highest peak in
          coninetial US it is a pain. Only 50% make it.
          Starting at the North end you get time to acclimate, so you are less
          likely to get high altitude sickness. I hope this has been helpful.
          Kevin Aston
          www.kevinaston.com

        • bcooper67@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 23 , Feb 18, 2008
            I was able to get some pretty cheap round-trip tickets(<$400) into Fresno, CA
            I don't know if it was a smart move or not, but it seemed really close to Yosemite.
            Turbodog

            From: "Paul" <eaglepdub@...>
            wrote:
            >Scott,

            My suggestion would be to fly into Merced, CA. or Reno, NV.

            If you fly into Reno you can take the Crest bus south and then the next
            day take the YARTS bus into Tuolumne Meadow or Yosemite Valley. If you
            fly into Merced. You can take the YARTS bus directly into Yosemite,
            if you trailhead is from Tuolumne Meadows you will have to stay a day
            in Yosemite and take the other YARTS bus the next day to Tuolumne.
            (not a bad place to have to spend a day BTW.)

            If you end your hike at Whitney Portal you will have to hitch a ride to
            Lone Pine. (very easy to do) and then take the Crest bus south to
            Ridgecrest where you can get a flight home or go north to Reno.

            http://www.countyofinyo.org/transit/CRESTpage.htm
            http://www.yarts.com/

            > I am from Harrisburg, PA. I am hiking the trail this summer and was
            > wondering how I would get to and from the trail. If I fly in to say,
            > San Francisco, what is the cheapest way to travel? What do other
            > people do?

          • onkelb0b
            Message 5 of 23 , Feb 18, 2008
              If your plans are to hike the "entire" trail then Ess Eff may indeed
              be an OK destination. First it's a transportation hub and you should
              be able to get cheap flights into and from there. The will be a
              premium flying into Reno and Fresno as well as the need to change
              flights somewhere. Second, getting a trail permit from Yosemite is
              usually easier than getting one from Lone Pine. However, getting from
              Ess Eff to Yosemite may present a problem.
              Amtrak goes to Yosemite, as do Merced transportation companies. Some
              hotels have bus service that goes on day trips to Yosemite, which is a
              way of combining tourism and hiking. Google/Yahoo search Yosemite San
              Francisco and you'll get a laundry list of links.
              The lone problem with Amtrak is that it arrives in the valley at 13:00
              which can be too late to start on the trail. Fortunately there's a
              Backpackers camp next to North Pines and usually you can get a spot
              there if you fulfill the requirements (1 night only with trail permit
              for entrance next day or exit of previous/same day)
              If you don't care about hiking every mile, and are willing to start in
              Tuloumne, then Reno is a better choice as it's easier to reach the
              meadows from that city.
              PCTA.org has a few links for JMT hikers with some transport options.
              Finally, if you're trying to do this on a shoe-string, then you're on
              the right track; i.e., post your plans and hopes on hiker
              pages/groups. I'm hoping to do a hike this summer, but nothing
              definite is planned (I need to get a job first!!) I'm in the Ess Eff
              bay area. Whitneyportalstore.com has a bulletin board, 395.com has
              some links as does aforementioned pcta.org. Trailjournals.com is
              another site for seeking help.

              <scottasinner@...> wrote:

              > I am from Harrisburg, PA. I am hiking the trail this summer and was
              > wondering how I would get to and from the trail. If I fly in to say,
              > San Francisco, what is the cheapest way to travel? What do other
              > people do?

            • Brian Goodlander
              Message 6 of 23 , Feb 18, 2008
                I am in a similar position. Me and 2 others are coming from Ohio. We want
                to start in Tuolumne Meadows hike to Yosemite then return to Tuolumne
                Meadows via YARTS and then head north towards Whitney to avoid starting off
                with that huge climb out of the valley yet see and hike the whole trail.

                The logistics to get to Yosemite Valley from SF seems similar to Planes,
                Trains and Automobiles (the movie). I looked at going to Merced airport but
                nobody appears to fly there anymore. US Airways did but has apparently
                discontinued service so I have no way of getting from SFO to Merced easily.
                Since I want to go to Tuolumne Meadows first, I am interested in the Reno
                option. Do you have details? Do I take a public bus to the pass then catch
                YARTS?

                I am very confused by YARTS. I am having trouble downloading the schedule.
                I need to catch it to get to Tuolumne Meadows first then catch it again to
                go from Happy Isles to Tuolumne again.

                Thanks,

                BG

[...]

                <mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com> , "scottasinner"
                <scottasinner@...> wrote:

                > I am from Harrisburg, PA. I am hiking the trail this summer and was
                > wondering how I would get to and from the trail. If I fly in to say,
                > San Francisco, what is the cheapest way to travel? What do other
                > people do?

              • dh5169
                Message 7 of 23 , Feb 18, 2008
                  wrote:

                  > I am from Harrisburg, PA. I am hiking the trail this summer and was
                  > wondering how I would get to and from the trail. If I fly in to say,
                  > San Francisco, what is the cheapest way to travel? What do other
                  > people do?

                  Scott,
                  I am just down the road in Lebanon. Last year when my wife and I went
                  out to hike the JMT we flew one-way into Sacramento. Rented a car one-
                  way ($100) to Merced and the Yarts bus into the park. We left on
                  Tuesday morning and were on the trail to Little Yosemite Valley by
                  Wednesday noon. At the end, take the Yarts bus to Ridgecrest and a one-
                  way car rental ($50) from the Inyokern Airport to Las Vegas for your
                  return flight to Harrisburg.
                  Doug

                    <scottasinner@...> wrote:

                    > I am from Harrisburg, PA. I am hiking the trail this summer and was
                    > wondering how I would get to and from the trail. If I fly in to say,
                    > San Francisco, what is the cheapest way to travel? What do other
                    > people do?

                  • Paul
                    Message 9 of 23 , Feb 18, 2008
                      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Goodlander"
                      <bgoodlander@...> wrote:
                      >Brian,

                      One quick correction about the bus to Ridgecrest. It's the Crest bus
                      not the YARTS. Sorry Doug we all knew what you meant. It sounds
                      like this all worked well for you.

                      Brian, I will give you the information that I have I hope it will
                      help. I have done a fair amount of car jockying around the JMT. If
                      you would like to chat give me a call 208-484-2718.

                      My suggestion would be to fly into Reno, NV. The Crest bus runs
                      Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday. It leaves the Reno airport at
                      11:45 a.m. You would want to take it to Lee Vining, June Lake or
                      Mammoth Lakes. Lee Vining is at the base of the mountain from
                      Tuolomne Meadows but you will be taking the YARTS anyway, so you
                      could spend the night in any of these towns. The YARTS starts at
                      7:00 a.m. every morning at Mammoth then goes to June Lake then Lee
                      Vining and finally T.M.

                      http://www.countyofinyo.org/transit/CRESTpage.htm

                      http://www.yarts.com/

                      I did the same hike you did 1 1/2 years ago. Leaving from T.M. to
                      Yosemite Valley. Bus back to T.M. and then South to Mt. Whitney. I
                      was patting myself on the back for being soooo smart. That's what
                      happends when we get older.

                      The YARTS bus picks up in Yosemite Valley one time per day at 5:00
                      p.m. and gets you back to T.M. at 6:45 p.m.

                      There is also a Yosemite tram service that runs all through the
                      valley every 8 to 10 minutes. So when you finish you hike at Happy
                      Isles, just hop on one of those and tell them you want to go to where
                      the YARTS picks up.

                      When you end your hike you will need to hitch a ride down to Lone
                      Pine. This is very easy to do as there are hundreds of people there
                      and they are all friendly hikers like ourselves. At that point you
                      can do as Doug suggested and go to Ridge crest on the Crest bus or
                      you can hitch a ride to Bishop again not really too difficult and
                      take the Crest bus north to Reno. Be aware that the Crest bus runs
                      Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday when going north to Reno. When
                      going south to Ridgecrest it's Monday, Wednesday, Friday. I think
                      they do this just to mess us up.

                      On other suggestion. It is often difficult to know exactly how much
                      time it will take to hike the trail. When I am in this situation I
                      purchase one of those anytime airflights 2 or 3 days past when I
                      think I will need it. I know they are more expensive but they reduce
                      a lot of stress while out on the trail. If you finish 2,3 or 5 days
                      early you just call the airlines and get the next flight out.

                      Paul Walker

                    • onkelb0b
                      Message 10 of 23 , Feb 18, 2008

                        > BG, I presume you meant "head SOUTH towards Whitney" from Tuolumne
                        Meadows.

                        > Would you save on transportation, if you went first from TM to WP,
                        then bus back to TM and then from TM to Happy Isles?

                        RM - While I would agree with your itinerary, ask your self one
                        question: You just spent 2 weeks on the trail (Tuloumne south) and
                        hitched or whatever to return to the starting point. Would you be
                        ready to go back on the trail? When I hit the Dow Villa in Lone Pine,
                        I was ready to stay there for eternity :^)

                        BG - Although your itinerary looks a bit convoluted, it has merit.
                        First and foremost, gives you some acclimation time. It's up to
                        Cathedral Pass from Tuloumne but not that tough. After that it's a
                        cakewalk.
                        Planes Trains and Automobiles is about right. You might want to fly to
                        Reno as the $100 plus premium on airfare should be offset by savings
                        in time and money from Ess Eff. Look at thread for East side
                        transportation for the link to Inyo County transport. Carson City and
                        Reno are adjacent cities. You'll take the bus to Lee Vining then hitch
                        (or use public transport) to Tuloumne. There's a HUGE backpacker
                        campground at Tuloumne so getting a site is usually not a problem. (I
                        stayed there on July 4 weekend to give you an idea on availability)
                        One problem is possible - I doubt the rangers will give you a single
                        b/c permit for that itinerary. As such you will need a permit to go
                        from Tuloumne to the Valley (can be tough to get) and from the
                        Tuloumne to Donahue. (not too bad) If you can get the necessary
                        permits by mail so much the better. The one you really want to get is
                        to get the first leg. Once on the Valley floor, you'll take the YARTS
                        bus from the lodge to the Meadows. (1 per day, it leaves @ 0800) Once
                        there you roll the dice and hope a walk-in is open. The Tuloumne
                        permits open to walk-ins at 11:00, just about the time the bus
                        arrives. About those permits - if you have a reservation, be sure to
                        call ahead if you are going to be close. The trailheads have quotas
                        and they are usually full. As such, the NPS will cancel your
                        reservation at 10:00 on the day of the expected arrival and release
                        the quota at 11:00. Since you are talking about 3 people, reservations
                        and quotas are especially important.
                      • onkelb0b
                        Message 11 of 23 , Feb 18, 2008
                          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Paul" <eaglepdub@...> wrote:

                          > The YARTS bus picks up in Yosemite Valley one time per day at 5:00
                          > p.m. and gets you back to T.M. at 6:45 p.m.

                          I'm assuming that they haven't canceled the Yosemite to Tuloumne
                          shuttle so I assume there are now 2 available trips, the morning one
                          and now the evening one. The morning trip stays within the park.
                          Leaves the Yosemite Lodge (Camp 4) at 08:00, goes to Crane Flat, White
                          Wolf, and Tuloumne. Returns the same route at 13:00.
                          Message 12 of 23 , Feb 18, 2008
                            good point, Paul about the altitude work-in doing the original BG plan and also about
                            how willing to quit once you get to WP.

                            important about locking in permit reservations. I already locked mine in for the July/August hike our party does in 2008 -- we are only hiking from Reds Meadows to Whitney Portal -- we don't have time to do the whole JMT (sure wish we did, for sure we'd do it). When my kids get out of college and I can afford to purchase an extra week off work (we are allowed to purchase an extra week of vacation but I'm too cheap to do it now but when I have more slack money, I will). You are allowed to do a permit reservation up to 6 months ahead of trailhead entry date if the reservation is from Inyo National Forest (which is where the Reds Meadows entry point is) -- I don't know about Yosemite-made reservations -- how far ahead earliest reservations are.

                            The crux is the quota on the trail per day heading towards Trail Crest (Whitney Portal). Isn't it 25 per day from point X (or some algorithm like that)). -- Remember, walk-ins are issued on a first come first served basis for another 25 per day (from point X (or something like that)).

                            Roleigh

                            Message 13 of 23 , Feb 19, 2008
                              Getting to Yosemite isn't bad there, but is is not any way to the west side except Vermillion, and it is a terrible drive, ask my wife. Getting there from the portal will be tough too. Reno would be my choice.
                              Goodluck.
                              Kevin Aston

                              From: "Paul" <eaglepdub@...>

                            • bcooper67@comcast.net
                              Message 14 of 23 , Feb 20, 2008
                                So, what are recommendations on getting back to Fresno from Whitney Portal? I've got transportation from Fresno to Yosemite arranged, but the trip back to Fresno from Whitney is a concern. When I was planning this trip, I found that nearly all shuttles were on the West side of the JMT, but ticket prices into Reno were much higher and it was still going to be a 4+hour drive to and from Reno.
                                TDog

                                From: Kevin Aston <kevin@...>
                                > Getting to Yosemite isn't bad there, but is is not any way to the west side
                                > except Vermillion, and it is a terrible drive, ask my wife. Getting there from
                                > the portal will be tough too. Reno would be my choice.
                                > Goodluck.
                                > Kevin Aston
                                >
                                > bcooper67@... wrote:
                                > I was able to get some pretty cheap round-trip tickets(<$400) into
                                > Fresno, CA
                                > I don't know if it was a smart move or not, but it seemed really close to
                                > Yosemite.
                                > Turbodog

                                > From: "Paul" <eaglepdub@...>
                                > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "scottasinner" <scottasinner@...>
                                > wrote:
                                > >Scott,
                                >
                                > My suggestion would be to fly into Merced, CA. or Reno, NV.
                                >
                                > If you fly into Reno you can take the Crest bus south and then the next
                                > day take the YARTS bus into Tuolumne Meadow or Yosemite Valley. If you
                                > fly into Merced. You can take the YARTS bus directly into Yosemite,
                                > if you trailhead is from Tuolumne Meadows you will have to stay a day
                                > in Yosemite and take the other YARTS bus the next day to Tuolumne.
                                > (not a bad place to have to spend a day BTW.)
                                >
                                > If you end your hike at Whitney Portal you will have to hitch a ride to
                                > Lone Pine. (very easy to do) and then take the Crest bus south to
                                > Ridgecrest where you can get a flight home or go north to Reno.
                                >
                                > http://www.countyofinyo.org/transit/CRESTpage.htm
                                > http://www.yarts.com/
                                >
                                > > I am from Harrisburg, PA. I am hiking the trail this summer and was
                                > > wondering how I would get to and from the trail. If I fly in to say,
                                > > San Francisco, what is the cheapest way to travel? What do other
                                > > people do?

                              • Paul
                                Message 15 of 23 , Feb 20, 2008
                                  --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, bcooper67@... wrote:
                                  >Wow Turbodog you are a special case. Whitney Portal to Fresno is no
                                  easy feat. Whitney portal is on the east side of the Sierra's and
                                  Hwy 395 runs north and south all along the eastern Sierra. You
                                  should be able to hitch a ride from W.P. and get you as far north as
                                  Mammoth Lakes. Where you can take the YARTS into Yosemite and down
                                  to Merced. There is bus service and I believe train service between
                                  Merced and Fresno. This may take you a day or 2. I wish I had an
                                  easy answer but I just don't think there is one.

                                • Paul
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Feb 28, 2008
                                    From Lone Pine you can catch the INYO bus to Bishop.
                                    Then the CREST bus from Bishop to Lee Vinning.
                                    Then the YARTS bus from Lee Vinning into Yosemite Valley.
                                    Then it's just a matter of getting back to Fresno the same way you got
                                    to Yosemite Valley.
                                    Here are a couple of the bus links:
                                    http://www.countyofinyo.org/transit/route,%20schedule%20&%20fares.htm
                                    http://www.yarts.com/

                                    http://www.countyofinyo.org/transit/bishop_lonepine.htm
                                    http://www.countyofinyo.org/transit/CRESTpage.htm
                                    http://www.yarts.com/schedule/2007/Summer120E.pdf

                                    Paul
                                  • e1705email
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Mar 4, 2008
                                      Hi Paul,

                                      I was not the one who asked this transportation question, but one who
                                      is interested in the answer. I checked out all the links and called a
                                      couple of the services. It seems there hasn't been much activity on
                                      the JMT Yahoo group lately, so will post this.

                                      Here are my comments:

                                      Earliest bus from Lone Pine to Bishop leaves at 6:30AM and arrives at
                                      7:40AM. The bus out of Bishop leaves at 7:00AM so the connection
                                      cannot be made the same day. Either have to hitchhike earlier, or get
                                      to Bishop the day before.

                                      The Bishop bus arrives at Lee Vining (for example) at 8:25AM -
                                      Caltrans yard. The Yarts leaves via 3 locations in Lee Vining from
                                      8:20, 8:23 and 8:30AM. I called CREST to see if this is timed so
                                      people arriving at 8:25 could make the transfer in time. The employee
                                      I spoke with had no idea where the Caltrans yard was and was not
                                      encouraging about making the connection.

                                      Based upon my homework so far, I haven't come up with a reliable way
                                      of getting from Lone Pine to Yosemite quickly / smoothly. I'm
                                      thinking it might be faster to hitchhike with a cardboard sign.

                                      Anyway, this is where I am at, if anyone has further insight. I
                                      haven't made any flight reservations yet, hoping that something
                                      firmer will develop, or more time will have to be allowed for getting
                                      home.

                                      Also, no one has been able (or willing) to answer my fish question
                                      yet, as to what kind of fish they were, or the possible location. If
                                      the table was turned, and I knew about it, I would be reluctant to
                                      pass the info on also. It is possible that things have changed since
                                      35 years ago and this kind of fish encounter no longer exists on the
                                      JMT (?).

                                      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Paul" <plockey@...> wrote:

                                      > From Lone Pine you can catch the INYO bus to Bishop.
                                      > Then the CREST bus from Bishop to Lee Vinning.
                                      > Then the YARTS bus from Lee Vinning into Yosemite Valley.
                                      > Then it's just a matter of getting back to Fresno the same way you
                                      got
                                      > to Yosemite Valley.
                                      > Here are a couple of the bus links:
                                      > http://www.countyofinyo.org/transit/route,%20schedule%20&%
                                      20fares.htm
                                      > http://www.yarts.com/
                                      >
                                      > http://www.countyofinyo.org/transit/bishop_lonepine.htm
                                      > http://www.countyofinyo.org/transit/CRESTpage.htm
                                      > http://www.yarts.com/schedule/2007/Summer120E.pdf
                                      >
                                      > Paul

                                    • rambler4466
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Mar 4, 2008
                                        It might be cheaper to fly to Oakland. From Oakland take Amtrak to Merced. From Merced
                                        take YARTS (a bus line) to Yosemite. However, because of train schedules, you might not be
                                        able to fly into Oakland soon enough to catch the train, and the YARTS bus does not run on
                                        weekends. You could fly into Fresno which is closer to Merced and again take Amtrak and
                                        Yarts. YARTS does have an ealy morning connection from Mariposa. Bakersfield is another
                                        airport with similar connections, and is closer to Lone Pine.

                                        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "scottasinner" <scottasinner@...> wrote:

                                        > I am from Harrisburg, PA. I am hiking the trail this summer and was
                                        > wondering how I would get to and from the trail. If I fly in to say,
                                        > San Francisco, what is the cheapest way to travel? What do other
                                        > people do?

                                      • e1705email
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Mar 4, 2008
                                          Hi,

                                          Yes, I have worked out the details on getting to the trailhead,
                                          though it isn't totally smooth from Oakland or SF. The only hitch at
                                          this time is getting back from Lone Pine to Yosemite. From Yosemite,
                                          I would just do the reverse of getting there via Amtrak to either SF
                                          or Oakland.

                                          Holding off on making flight reservations until having worked through
                                          the options as best as can be foreseen.

                                          Thanks,

                                          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "rambler4466" <rambler4466@...>
                                          wrote:

                                          > It might be cheaper to fly to Oakland. From Oakland take Amtrak to
                                          Merced. From Merced
                                          > take YARTS (a bus line) to Yosemite. However, because of train
                                          schedules, you might not be
                                          > able to fly into Oakland soon enough to catch the train, and the
                                          YARTS bus does not run on
                                          > weekends. You could fly into Fresno which is closer to Merced and
                                          again take Amtrak and
                                          > Yarts. YARTS does have an ealy morning connection from Mariposa.
                                          Bakersfield is another
                                          > airport with similar connections, and is closer to Lone Pine.
                                          >
                                          > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "scottasinner"
                                          <scottasinner@> wrote:

                                          > > I am from Harrisburg, PA. I am hiking the trail this summer and
                                          was
                                          > > wondering how I would get to and from the trail. If I fly in to
                                          say,
                                          > > San Francisco, what is the cheapest way to travel? What do other
                                          > > people do?

                                        • Bob Bankhead
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Mar 4, 2008
                                            Actually, if the goal is to get from Lone Pine to Yosemite NP, it is quite simple.

                                            From Lone Pine, you have two bus options.

                                            1. The CREST bus runs one round-trip between Ridgecrest and Mammoth Lakes on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. See the schedule at http://www.countyofinyo.org/transit/CRESTpage.htm

                                            It leaves Statham Hall in Lone Pine at 2:50 pm, arriving Mammoth Lakes Mcdonald's (next door to the Shilo Inn) at 4:50 pm. you'll have to stay overnight in Mammoth Lakes. The next morning, catch the YARTS bus at Mcdonald's at 7:20 am, getting to Tuolumne Meadows store at 9:05 am and Yosemite Valley Visitors' Center at 10:05 am. http://www.yarts.com/schedule/2007/Summer120E.pdf

                                            OPTION 2: the lesser of the 2

                                            The INYO bus runs Monday through Friday, leaving Statham Hall in Lone Pine at 6:30 am, 8:30 am, and 5:00 pm, arriving Bishop K-Mart at
                                            7:40 am, 9:40 am, and 6:10 pm. http://www.countyofinyo.org/transit/bishop_lonepine.htm

                                            From Bishop, catch the CREST bus into Mammoth Lakes. On M, W, and F it leaves the terminal at 201 S. Warren at 3:50 pm, into Mammoth Mcdonalds at 4:50 pm. On M, Tues, Thurs, and Frid, it leaves the same terminal at 7:00 am, into Mammopth McDonalds at 7:50 am.

                                            From Bishop to Mammoth, you can also take the INYO bus twice daily (see http://www.inyocounty.us/transit/Bishop%20to%20Mammoth%20Commuter%20page.htm)

                                            From Mammoth Lakes to Yosemite, you have only the YARTS bus listed in option 1. http://www.yarts.com/schedule/2007/Summer120E.pdf

                                            Note that the CREST bus also runs from Mammoth McDonalds directly to the Reno airport on M, Tu, Thur, and Frid. Leaves Mammoth at 7:20 am, arrive Reno at 11:45 am. Fly home from there. You could also reverse that, fly into Reno, take CREST to Mammoth Lakes and Yarts to Yosemite. You don't have to start at San Francisco or LA - unless you live there.

                                            Wandering Bob

                                          • clairehiker
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Mar 5, 2008
                                              From Reno airport to Yosemite, you can take that CREST bus to Lee Vining, then the Yarts
                                              bus to Yosemite Valley from there. The schedule is such that you will have to spend the
                                              night somewhere along the way. must be a conspiracy of hotel owners and hwy 395
                                              business people! It is likely cheaper to stay in Lee Vining than Mammoth, and you wouldn't
                                              have to backtrack in the am.

                                              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Bankhead" <wandering_bob@...> wrote:

                                              > Actually, if the goal is to get from Lone Pine to Yosemite NP, it is quite simple.
                                              >
                                              > From Lone Pine, you have two bus options.
                                              >
                                              > 1. The CREST bus runs one round-trip between Ridgecrest and Mammoth Lakes on
                                              Monday, Wednesday and Friday. See the schedule at
                                              http://www.countyofinyo.org/transit/CRESTpage.htm

                                              > It leaves Statham Hall in Lone Pine at 2:50 pm, arriving Mammoth Lakes Mcdonald's
                                              (next door to the Shilo Inn) at 4:50 pm. you'll have to stay overnight in Mammoth Lakes.
                                              The next morning, catch the YARTS bus at Mcdonald's at 7:20 am, getting to Tuolumne
                                              Meadows store at 9:05 am and Yosemite Valley Visitors' Center at 10:05 am.
                                              http://www.yarts.com/schedule/2007/Summer120E.pdf

                                              > OPTION 2: the lesser of the 2
                                              >
                                              > The INYO bus runs Monday through Friday, leaving Statham Hall in Lone Pine at 6:30
                                              am, 8:30 am, and 5:00 pm, arriving Bishop K-Mart at
                                              > 7:40 am, 9:40 am, and 6:10 pm.
                                              http://www.countyofinyo.org/transit/bishop_lonepine.htm

                                              > From Bishop, catch the CREST bus into Mammoth Lakes. On M, W, and F it leaves the
                                              terminal at 201 S. Warren at 3:50 pm, into Mammoth Mcdonalds at 4:50 pm. On M, Tues,
                                              Thurs, and Frid, it leaves the same terminal at 7:00 am, into Mammopth McDonalds at
                                              7:50 am.

                                              http://www.inyocounty.us/transit/Bishop%20to%20Mammoth%20Commuter%20page.htm)

                                              > From Mammoth Lakes to Yosemite, you have only the YARTS bus listed in option 1.
                                              http://www.yarts.com/schedule/2007/Summer120E.pdf

                                              > Note that the CREST bus also runs from Mammoth McDonalds directly to the Reno
                                              airport on M, Tu, Thur, and Frid. Leaves Mammoth at 7:20 am, arrive Reno at 11:45 am.
                                              Fly home from there. You could also reverse that, fly into Reno, take CREST to Mammoth
                                              Lakes and Yarts to Yosemite. You don't have to start at San Francisco or LA - unless you
                                              live there.

                                              > Wandering Bob

                                            • scottasinner
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Mar 6, 2008
                                                Thanks, Doug, but I'm not old enough to rent a car ( will only be
                                                21). I don't suppose there's another bus available is there?

                                                > Scott,
                                                > I am just down the road in Lebanon. Last year when my wife and I
                                                went
                                                > out to hike the JMT we flew one-way into Sacramento. Rented a car
                                                one-
                                                > way ($100) to Merced and the Yarts bus into the park. We left on
                                                > Tuesday morning and were on the trail to Little Yosemite Valley by
                                                > Wednesday noon. At the end, take the Yarts bus to Ridgecrest and a
                                                one-
                                                > way car rental ($50) from the Inyokern Airport to Las Vegas for your
                                                > return flight to Harrisburg.
                                                > Doug

                                              • dh5169
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Mar 6, 2008
                                                  Scott,
                                                  Yes, I know you can get Greyhound from Sacramento and I seem to
                                                  recall on the other end it was a local bus from Ridgecrest to Barstow
                                                  (?)and then Greyhound to Las Vegas - you just have to get the timing
                                                  down right on both ends. (I think the Crest site shows all the
                                                  possible connections - I think you can also go to LA from there).

                                                  That being said, you should also consider Reno as an alternative -
                                                  there is plenty of info out here on how to get from Reno (Crest Bus)
                                                  and then into Yosemite (Yarts) and from Lone Pine back to Reno
                                                  (Crest, again) and the overnights that this route will require.

                                                  Getting back to the Sacramento option (I am speaking off the top of
                                                  my head on this). Take the local bus from the airport to the
                                                  Greyhound station; Greyhound (I think there were 3 afternoon/evening
                                                  buses)to Merced (overnight there - Vagabond Inn was clean and cheap
                                                  and it's a short walk to the Yarts station); and Yarts to Yosemite.

                                                  Alternative is to overnight in Sacramento and take Amtrak which
                                                  connects in Merced to the Yarts Bus (Amtrak ticket includes Yarts
                                                  bus I think).

                                                  If you want more info or want to meet up - I work in Harrisburg,
                                                  send me email direct.

                                                  Doug