In Search Of: Mosquito free hike!

  • scottbednarz
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 12, 2008
      Hey all!--My 20 year old nephew and I are planning on spending a
      month on the trail in either August or September 08'; the latter
      involving a (hope to be avoided) quarter off his college endeavers.
      The most important factor is avoiding those blood-sucking
      creatures. My nephew (who by the way is 6'8") has already clearly
      indicated he would rather freeze his onions off than be attacked by
      mosquitoes. August would be best, but he would gladly (however with
      some difficulty) take the time off school to hike bug free.
      Can you guys give me the skinny on the bugs for these months?
    • Steve Schauer
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 12, 2008
        We try to wait until August to hike bec of the
        mosquitos, and it has worked out well for us. One year
        we went in July, from Tuolomne to Mammoth, and
        encountered clouds of mosquitos, making us ditch the
        trail as soon as possible. Aug 2007 was bug-free for
        us on the whole JMT.