Re: Food Drops

  • hmdsierra
    Message 1 of 473 , Aug 6, 1999
      When we did the trail we stashed food at the
      Red's Mdw. store. We had 19 days left until we exited
      at Whitney Portal. After my friend dorpped out my
      son and I carried exactly 2 weeks worth of food and
      Gary resupplied us at Vidette. From there we had 5
      days left. Two weeks of food did not seem too much to
      carry. If it had been all three of us we would not need
      to have been resupplied. This was before Nutrasweet
      so our drink mix was much heavier and bulky than it
      wwould be now. It depends on how long you are taking to
      hike it. We were out for 25 days Yosemite Valley to
      Whitney so we needed 24 days worth of food. By storing at
      Red's Mdw we were able to come out of the Valley light
      (5 days). If you are taking less time you need less
      food. i figure about a pound a day a person. When my
      wife and I started we carried the whole trip and our
      packs totaled 110 popunds. of course we moved very
      slowly the first few days.
    • tiocampo
      Message 473 of 473 , Feb 24, 2002