Permit

  • kennethjessett@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 57 , Aug 12, 2011
      Ugh! I've just called to get a permit from Yosemite Valley (I know, I left it much too late) on the 6th September and was told nothing available, so ... I'll just have to get there and queue up. Sigh!
    • cehauser1
      Message 57 of 57 , Mar 25, 2014
        I totally agree:  it is all about pack weight, physical condition, daily schedule, and hiking strategy.  Numerous books have been written about each of these 4 topics, but I'm a fan of Mike Clelland's lightweight backpacking tips book.

        Chris.

        ---In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <berdomb@...> wrote :

        Everybody is different.  The overriding factors are your pack weight, your body weight, and your cardiovascular shape. But the JMT is  a well graded stock trail, with nice switchbacks.

        The keys to higher mileage, is be in shape, carry a light pack, start earlier, hike later. Maintain a constant easy pace with a few short breaks.  Hike longer, not harder or faster.

        The faster you go uphill, and the more winded you get, the longer break you will take.  It will totally and completely  offset hiking slower, and then some. Guaranteed. The slower hikers you pass on the way up, will pass you again while you are resting. The tortoise wins everytime.