Re: [John Muir Trail] East Side Transportation

  • Prapanna Smith
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 12 3:00 PM
      I hitch-hiked from the Portal to TM in two days, with a layover in
      Bishop. I had a great
      time doing so.

      On Feb 12, 2008, at 9:16 AM, mbeilfuss wrote:

      > My girlfriend and I are planning to hike the JMT from Tuolumne Meadows
      > to Whitney Portal this summer ('08). We have one car that we
      > planned to
      > leave at Whitney. Any ideas on how to get from Lone Pine or Bishop to
      > Tuolumne? We would like to do in as little time as possible, and
      > public
      > transportation doesn't seem so great on the east side. We also have a
      > stipulation that we must stop in Bishop for lunch and bread at
      > Schatt's
      > Bakery (it's a great place I recommend to everyone).
      > Cost is an issue to. Anyone know how much private shuttles go for?
      > Would they be less than a nights stay in a hotel?
      > Can one get from Bishop to Tuolumne in one day on public
      > transportation?

    • Kevin Aston
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 12 4:20 PM
        This is the Crest bus schedule for that stretch. You have to have the
        right change, but I didn't find it expensive at all, and it was easier
        than the hitch hiking I did down from the portal to Lone Pine.
        http://www.countyofinyo.org/transit/CRESTpage.htm Call them for more
        information

        Good luck
        Kevin A

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "mbeilfuss" <mbeilfuss@...> wrote:

        > My girlfriend and I are planning to hike the JMT from Tuolumne
        Meadows
        > to Whitney Portal this summer ('08). We have one car that we planned
        > leave at Whitney. Any ideas on how to get from Lone Pine or Bishop to
        > Tuolumne? We would like to do in as little time as possible, and
        public
        > transportation doesn't seem so great on the east side. We also have a
        > stipulation that we must stop in Bishop for lunch and bread at
        Schatt's
        > Bakery (it's a great place I recommend to everyone).
        > Cost is an issue to. Anyone know how much private shuttles go for?
        > Would they be less than a nights stay in a hotel?
        > Can one get from Bishop to Tuolumne in one day on public
        > transportation?

      • Paul
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 12 4:34 PM
          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "mbeilfuss" <mbeilfuss@...> wrote:
          >I agree with everyones comments on hitching.

          It really isn't that difficult to get a ride. (expecially if your
          girlfriend shaves her legs)! All kidding aside for some reason women
          are like candy to babies. Men take 10 minutes to flag down a ride a
          woman can do it in 2 minutes. One option you may also think about is
          to hitch a ride to Mammoth Lakes and stay the night there. They also
          have a Schatt's right in town. You can stay the night and take the
          YARTS bus which picks up at 7:00 a.m. and takes you into
          Yosemite/Tuolumne Meadows.

          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 12 4:42 PM
            How often do shuttles (from Mammoth) go to Reds Meadows or Postpile Monument (to get onto the JMT) starting at the point nearest Mammoth Lakes? We intend to hike from that point near Reds Meadows to Whitney Portal in late July/August this year.

            Where does one pick up this Shuttle in Mammoth? How frequent are the runs made and the price?

            Thanks!

          • Kevin Aston
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 12 5:15 PM
              This is all answered on this site. The schedules are at the bottom
              of the page. http://www.countyofinyo.org/transit/CRESTpage.htm
              Kevin Aston

              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Roleigh Martin <roleigh@...>
              wrote:

              > How often do shuttles (from Mammoth) go to Reds Meadows or Postpile
              Monument (to get onto the JMT) starting at the point nearest Mammoth
              Lakes? We intend to hike from that point near Reds Meadows to
              Whitney Portal in late July/August this year.

              > Where does one pick up this Shuttle in Mammoth? How frequent are
              the runs made and the price?

              > Thanks!

            • Paul
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 12 5:33 PM
                wrote:
                >Roleigh,

                They run every 30 minutes from the top of the ski lift. See my post
                #1806 from yesterday for details on how to get from Mammoth Lakes to
                the top of the ski hill. The cost is around $12 per person.

                Nate,

                You can leave your vehicle both at Whitney Portal and Yosemite for
                extended periods of time, many people do. Just make sure no food is in
                the vehicle.

                Paul

                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 12 8:57 PM
                  I saw that page, I'm asking about once you get to Mammoth, then getting to the trailhead (JMT) from Mammoth (the city). And I thank the person who posted this link first today--I had not seen it before and was super thrilled to see this link.

                  Kevin Aston <kevin@...> wrote: This is all answered on this site. The schedules are at the bottom