East Side Transportation

  • mbeilfuss
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 12, 2008
      My girlfriend and I are planning to hike the JMT from Tuolumne Meadows
      to Whitney Portal this summer ('08). We have one car that we planned to
      leave at Whitney. Any ideas on how to get from Lone Pine or Bishop to
      Tuolumne? We would like to do in as little time as possible, and public
      transportation doesn't seem so great on the east side. We also have a
      stipulation that we must stop in Bishop for lunch and bread at Schatt's
      Bakery (it's a great place I recommend to everyone).
      Cost is an issue to. Anyone know how much private shuttles go for?
      Would they be less than a nights stay in a hotel?
      Can one get from Bishop to Tuolumne in one day on public
      transportation?
    • Dan McGuire
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 12, 2008
        The public transportation connections can get pretty annoying, but I've had
        tons of success hitching along 395. Having your backpack with you makes it
        obvious what you're doing, and there are enough outdoors people driving up
        and down that road that people seem more than happy to stop and offer a
        ride. I'm pretty sure that between Yosemite and Mt Whitney I've never waited
        more than 10 minutes with my thumb out and have always had really
        interesting people to talk to - ultra marathoners, other long distance
        hikers, world travelers. I know that societies conventional wisdom is that
        hitching is dangerous but my reality has always been very different and I
        look at some of the rides I've had as equal to any experiences I've had on
        the trail. Use your common sense, be safe, and if any alarm bells are going
        off in your head, decline the ride, but it certainly can't be beat for the
        ease and convenience of getting up and down 395.

        Good luck and enjoy your ride!

        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 12, 2008
          I hitch-hiked from the Portal to TM in two days, with a layover in
          Bishop. I had a great
          time doing so.

          On Feb 12, 2008, at 9:16 AM, mbeilfuss wrote:

          > My girlfriend and I are planning to hike the JMT from Tuolumne Meadows
          > to Whitney Portal this summer ('08). We have one car that we
          > planned to
          > leave at Whitney. Any ideas on how to get from Lone Pine or Bishop to
          > Tuolumne? We would like to do in as little time as possible, and
          > public
          > transportation doesn't seem so great on the east side. We also have a
          > stipulation that we must stop in Bishop for lunch and bread at
          > Schatt's
          > Bakery (it's a great place I recommend to everyone).
          > Cost is an issue to. Anyone know how much private shuttles go for?
          > Would they be less than a nights stay in a hotel?
          > Can one get from Bishop to Tuolumne in one day on public
          > transportation?

        • Kevin Aston
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 12, 2008
            This is the Crest bus schedule for that stretch. You have to have the
            right change, but I didn't find it expensive at all, and it was easier
            than the hitch hiking I did down from the portal to Lone Pine.
            http://www.countyofinyo.org/transit/CRESTpage.htm Call them for more
            information

            Good luck
            Kevin A

            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "mbeilfuss" <mbeilfuss@...> wrote:

            > My girlfriend and I are planning to hike the JMT from Tuolumne
            Meadows
            > to Whitney Portal this summer ('08). We have one car that we planned
            > leave at Whitney. Any ideas on how to get from Lone Pine or Bishop to
            > Tuolumne? We would like to do in as little time as possible, and
            public
            > transportation doesn't seem so great on the east side. We also have a
            > stipulation that we must stop in Bishop for lunch and bread at
            Schatt's
            > Bakery (it's a great place I recommend to everyone).
            > Cost is an issue to. Anyone know how much private shuttles go for?
            > Would they be less than a nights stay in a hotel?
            > Can one get from Bishop to Tuolumne in one day on public
            > transportation?

          • Paul
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 12, 2008
              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "mbeilfuss" <mbeilfuss@...> wrote:
              >I agree with everyones comments on hitching.

              It really isn't that difficult to get a ride. (expecially if your
              girlfriend shaves her legs)! All kidding aside for some reason women
              are like candy to babies. Men take 10 minutes to flag down a ride a
              woman can do it in 2 minutes. One option you may also think about is
              to hitch a ride to Mammoth Lakes and stay the night there. They also
              have a Schatt's right in town. You can stay the night and take the
              YARTS bus which picks up at 7:00 a.m. and takes you into
              Yosemite/Tuolumne Meadows.

              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 12, 2008
                How often do shuttles (from Mammoth) go to Reds Meadows or Postpile Monument (to get onto the JMT) starting at the point nearest Mammoth Lakes? We intend to hike from that point near Reds Meadows to Whitney Portal in late July/August this year.

                Where does one pick up this Shuttle in Mammoth? How frequent are the runs made and the price?

                Thanks!

              • Kevin Aston
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 12, 2008
                  This is all answered on this site. The schedules are at the bottom
                  of the page. http://www.countyofinyo.org/transit/CRESTpage.htm
                  Kevin Aston

                  --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Roleigh Martin <roleigh@...>
                  wrote:

                  > How often do shuttles (from Mammoth) go to Reds Meadows or Postpile
                  Monument (to get onto the JMT) starting at the point nearest Mammoth
                  Lakes? We intend to hike from that point near Reds Meadows to
                  Whitney Portal in late July/August this year.

                  > Where does one pick up this Shuttle in Mammoth? How frequent are
                  the runs made and the price?

                  > Thanks!

                • Paul
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 12, 2008
                    wrote:
                    >Roleigh,

                    They run every 30 minutes from the top of the ski lift. See my post
                    #1806 from yesterday for details on how to get from Mammoth Lakes to
                    the top of the ski hill. The cost is around $12 per person.

                    Nate,

                    You can leave your vehicle both at Whitney Portal and Yosemite for
                    extended periods of time, many people do. Just make sure no food is in
                    the vehicle.

                    Paul

                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 12, 2008
                      I saw that page, I'm asking about once you get to Mammoth, then getting to the trailhead (JMT) from Mammoth (the city). And I thank the person who posted this link first today--I had not seen it before and was super thrilled to see this link.

                      Kevin Aston <kevin@...> wrote: This is all answered on this site. The schedules are at the bottom